• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Crazy accuracy from Impact

Indeed FT folks want the most accurate and consistent guns. FX guns are designed to be most modular, adjustable and tunable guns in the works so the perception of not as consistent is pretty strong. This is in part the gun is very easy to be “screwed up” by the user and the urge to change things up by the owner. I do have my crown setup for HFT and it’s very accurate and consistent, I do see others have good success with FX in HFT. If tuned correctly they are very accurate and consistent even with 177, at least the 2 FX in 177 I own are. If you are in norcal and thing FX can’t make accurate 177 is more than welcome to try my crown.

Keep in mind FT has 2 main styles: american HFT or bucket and sticks and WFTF/open or on the ground with no sticks. The 12 FPE WFTF class is where most of the world compete in and it requires highly adjustable ergonomics. Plus weight up to a point is our friend so FX guns being light weight actually works against them. Plus FX does not make a WFTF specific chassis/stock as they are not interested in such small market.

@450BM great shooting! While the gun is clearly very accurate but to be able to shoot those groups consistently requires excellent marksman’s skills.
I’m not familiar with FT or HFT and I’m not a competition shooter, I do it for sheer pleasure. It’s like golf, me against the golf course and shooting is me against the equipment/components I have. And the Impact is kind of like developing a new cast bullet load for a powder burner rifle, the combinations are almost endless. Holy cow I’ve burned up a lot of primers and powder the past couple of years doing this… I’ll be shooting a lot of pellets now too.

Thank you for the compliment but this gun really gets the credit as it’s easy to shoot well. I thought the triggers on my Maruader and FWB 124 were good, and they are, but compared to the trigger on the Impact they are just mediocre.

Reactions: qball
Congratulations, sounds like you got a great one. Revel in it!! Count your blessings and enjoy it to the max! Give it a name and cherish it.

Feinwerk
I need to come up with some special targets to shoot, punching holes in paper is going to get boring. I have a bunch of old extra large life savers candy, the single wrapped ones. I‘ll have to glue them to a board and see if I can shoot through the center without breaking them. Or glue them on edge and really smash them. Hang them from a sting. Try to split pellets on the edge of an axe.

I usually don’t think about naming a gun, it just comes to me. Not all my guns and not necessarily the most special ones. Actually, one did just occur to me, The Prophet. That’s it, it has a name! :) My son just got home from college tonight and hasn’t seen The Prophet yet. I’ll introduce them when he’s ready. There’s a story behind this but it’s a long one, don’t want to bore anyone with it…

Did your site name come from Feinwerkbau?

@450BM ,
Yes, my handle came from one of the spring guns from my youth, a Feinwerkbau 124s that I bought with money from my first job when I was around 16 or 17.

Try paintballs perched on golf tees! Very satisfying reactive target. A center hit makes a satisfying 'PAAKHHH!' sound and cloud as the paint vaporizes spectacularly. Drill little verticle holes in a log or board that you can push the tees into. When you get really good, you can shoot just the tees and snap them off progressively!

Feinwerk

Reactions: 450BM
Impacts are very well represented in the bench rest competitions. I wish they were more friendly to us lefties.

Congratulations to the OP! Your reaction reminds me of my reaction the first time my P35-22 put three pellets into the same hole at 25 yards. I don't think there is even 0.1 inches center to center. It later did it again. My PBs are not this accurate nor are my other four PCPs (including two other P35s). All 5 of my PCPs are fun to shoot and accurate enough to drop a squirrel as long as I do my part. But my P35-22 is special. My best score on the 30 yard challenge is 194 and I think the gun could do better with a better shooter at the controls.

@450BM ,
Yes, my handle came from one of the spring guns from my youth, a Feinwerkbau 124s that I bought with money from my first job when I was around 16 or 17.

Try paintballs perched on golf tees! Very satisfying reactive target. A center hit makes a satisfying 'PAAKHHH!' sound and cloud as the paint vaporizes spectacularly. Drill little verticle holes in a log or board that you can push the tees into. When you get really good, you can shoot just the tees and snap them off progressively!

Feinwerk
Did everyone pronounce it like the Germans, Feinverk? I bought my FWB 124 from award money I got as a senior (1983). I still have mine, how about you? $200 was a pile of money back then but the gun has certainly paid for itself for all the shooting I enjoyed with it.

Paintballs is a great idea and I have a bunch too, thanks!

Impacts are very well represented in the bench rest competitions. I wish they were more friendly to us lefties.

Congratulations to the OP! Your reaction reminds me of my reaction the first time my P35-22 put three pellets into the same hole at 25 yards. I don't think there is even 0.1 inches center to center. It later did it again. My PBs are not this accurate nor are my other four PCPs (including two other P35s). All 5 of my PCPs are fun to shoot and accurate enough to drop a squirrel as long as I do my part. But my P35-22 is special. My best score on the 30 yard challenge is 194 and I think the gun could do better with a better shooter at the controls.
I’m not a real leftie but I shoot that way because I’m left eye dominant. I’ve been shooting left handed (archery too) since I was 12. I was concerned about the Impact’s magazine interfering with the cheek weld but it’s not the case at all. I “lean” into the scope so my cheek is in front of it. I moved the bolt to the left side thinking it would make it more friendly for me but it was just the opposite and I’m moving it back. I’ve been shooting right handed bolt guns most of my life and very use to working the bolt with my right hand. It’s natural to me and quicker because I keep my hand on the grip and don’t have to find the trigger again.

When I was first introduced to PCP’s on the internet, I was skeptical. Figured everything was tinkered with and aftermarketed to death. Mine is right out of the case, screw the suppressor on, mount a fairly inexpensive scope and shoot! I guess I had to see it to believe it. But yeah, one hole groups are always awesome and what we all want to see.

I don’t know anything about the 30 yard challenge but I’m guessing 194 is a good score. Somebody else mentioned the 30 yard challenge. Is that what they were talking about?

If the FX brand is so accurate why is it so underrepresented in the FT world?
Well FX showed up at Arlington last weekend. https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/november-asc-ft-match-results.1278233/
This is my first year competing in FT and I'm amazed at the variety of guns that can do well in FT. Inexpensive to very expensive guns are capable of high scores with an experienced shooter. Participating in FT has taught me so much about my guns and how to improve my shooting skills. It's like golf. You get the clubs that fit you and that are comfortable. And then get out there and practice.

@450BM ,
Cool, you have a 124 also? You've made some good choices. Yes, still got mine. Rebuilt it myself in 2012 and put a Jim Maccari laminated stock from ARH on it.

Why don't you go ahead and post some pics of your impact and targets
I do still have mine! I replaced main seal in 2008 or 9. Built a jig to do it and used some clamps. I remember the hardest part was getting the main bolt that held it all together back in without cross threading it. Other than that it’s original. Had it out shooting it quite a bit lately, just for fun and testing new pellets. I do need to post some pictures…

If you scroll down the forums to "target shooting challenges" you will find a thread for the 30 yard challenge. It's a one-shot-per-target thing where you are trying to get all your shots right in the center. I think of this as benchrest shooting. The 10 ring is about 1/8th inch across with a dot in the center for an X. 200 is the top score of which there have been a dozen or more with FX well represented. 194 isn't a bad score and is better than some of the scores with much more expensive rifles than my P35s. I've learned to shoot from a bench better especially with respect to wind shooting these targets. But I haven't shot any in a month or more. I've shot in the 180s with several of my "starter level" PCPs but only gotten into the 190s with my P35-22. Fun thing to do in the summer when hunting season is closed.

I am also left eye dominant but right handed. I've only tried shooting an impact one time but it was a disaster. Maybe the scope could have been slid further forward to make it work but I tend to think my head is too oversized for that to work. I like the flush magazines of my P35s. If I go "high end" I'm thinking of a prophet whose magazine can stick out in either direction. I like the cocking lever on the right but I also like being able to see through the scope. FX is a company with plenty of engineering ability they have just decided to not be very friendly to those of us who shoot from the left shoulder.

Don’t dismiss.177 for target, plinking and even small game hunting, pellet choice is large and cheaper than its bigger brother and accuracy can be outstanding. The biggest problem with .177 is they are more affected by wind and over speeding, the best accuracy out of all my guns is between 800-850fps and at these speeds expect to get close to 500 shots from a 480cc bottle.

Bb