• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Crazy accuracy from Impact

Disclaimer first. This is my first .25 caliber and it’s an FX Impact M3 700mm barrel. Before this and for 52 years I’ve only shot .177 air rifles, 2 springers and a pcp. So I’m not familiar with this kind of accuracy in an air rifle. I have a Kimber (of NY) 22 rimfire that will shoot like this but never saw it in an air gun.

It’s 21 degrees outside and dark. I’m shooting from inside my wood shop, heated to about 60, out the window. 30 yards to the target, I have an LED flashlight illuminating the target.

First, what I’m used too… All 5 shot groups except where noted.

FWB 124 JSB Exact Heavy 10.34gr .81”
Crossman Premier 8gr 1.33”
Benjamin Discover 10.3gr .98”

Benjamin Marauder JSB Exact Heavy 10.34gr .84” (one flyer) and .38”
Crossman Premier 8gr 1.88” (this is too light for this gun and not that accurate in the FWB either)
Benjamin Discover 10.3gr 1.17” (10 shot group)

The FWB 124 did well and outshot the Mrod with the JSB (one group) and the Benjamin Discover. I was pleasantly surprised by the old boy! I had one other pellet I should have tried in it. A Beeman HP that I think weighs 7gr. Next time…

Now comes the fun part, the Impact… Shooting the FX 25.39gr pellet. Not sure of the velocity now. I chronied it at 905fps with the wheel set at 16 but found earlier today this pellet grouped much better with it at 8.

From 1st group to last:
.037”
.25”
.10”
.16” 8 shots

Average group size: .1094

This is crazy, insane accuracy and I know it’s not as good as others have shot. It’s amazing watching them go into the same hole, over and over.

What is even crazier is the FX 33.95gr pellet, with the wheel on 16 and cronied at 835 fps is about 50% more accurate than this pellet! I may have to test some more to see if I can make the lighter pellet even better. Loving this gun!!!!

Last edited:
Yup. Fits right up there with my experiences with the Impact, and indeed all my FX airguns. Simply crazy accuracy all the way out to 50 yards. It’s also great at 100 yards, but I have powder burners that will match it at that range and further. But I’ve never had a rifle that would beat my impacts or Crowns at 50 yards and under. Not even my Anschutz .22LR.

So, maybe I'm misreading those group dimensions, but how can you get a group, going through the same hole that measures smaller than a single .25 caliber hole?
a .25 caliber has a dimensional diameter of approximately .25", anything smaller than that must be getting crushed from the choke?
"From 1st group to last:
.037”
.25”
.10”
.16” 8 shots

Average group size: .1094"

Reactions: Centercut
So, maybe I'm misreading those group dimensions, but how can you get a group, going through the same hole that measures smaller than a single .25 caliber hole?
a .25 caliber has a dimensional diameter of approximately .25", anything smaller than that must be getting crushed from the choke?
"From 1st group to last:
.037”
.25”
.10”
.16” 8 shots

Average group size: .1094"
Actually it's pretty easy, and I have had the same thing happen to me.

First of all, remember that we are not talking about the hole size, but about the distance, center to center, of all the pellets. If they all went through the exact same hole, and the paper didn't exhibit any closing up (where the paper is torn open but then closes - since we're not talking about wadcutters here) then the hole would be exactly .25" and the group would have a size of ZERO (0) inches.

Group size is the dispersal of the shots from a common center, not the hole size. You can assume that if all the centers were within .10" of each other then the size of the hole must be at least .35"

Chris

The FX I have been able to shoot for a while does the same thing with JSB pellets in 22 Cal and 30 Cal. The 700mm 30 cal barrel also produces 1 hole groups with 61.x grain nominal soft lead cast slugs from a NOE 55 gr hollow point mold. It also shoots the cheap 22 CPHPs almost as well as the JSBs. So far it has tied with an Uragan 2 in 22 cal, far the most accurate air rifles I have ever shot. If the Uragan had easy swapping barrels and an externally adjustable regulator, I would likely choose it over the FX as my favorite overall, but the versatility of the FX is hard to ignore.

Reactions: 450BM
perhaps - but FT peeps want the most accurate of guns soooooo ?

Indeed FT folks want the most accurate and consistent guns. FX guns are designed to be most modular, adjustable and tunable guns in the works so the perception of not as consistent is pretty strong. This is why the gun is very easy to be “screwed up” by the user and the urge to change things up by the owner. I do have my crown setup for HFT and it’s very accurate and consistent, I do see others have good success with FX in HFT. If tuned correctly they are very accurate and consistent even with 177, at least the 2 FX in 177 I own are. If you are in norcal and think FX can’t make accurate 177 is more than welcome to try my crown.

Keep in mind FT has 2 main styles: american HFT or bucket and sticks and WFTF/open or on the ground with no sticks. The 12 FPE WFTF class is where most of the world compete in and it requires highly adjustable ergonomics. Plus weight up to a point is our friend so FX guns being light weight actually works against them. Plus FX does not make a WFTF specific chassis/stock as they are not interested in such small market.

@450BM great shooting! While the gun is clearly very accurate but to be able to shoot those groups consistently requires excellent marksman’s skills.

Last edited:

ChRiSiS

Thank you for the clarity on the group size using your illustration/example. It seems that it would be very tough to measure that size group, knowing that there are tears in the target paper in not using wadcutters.
Not doubting the OP, just trying to grasp how those measurements were achieved.

mike
Flatten out the tears from the back, measure the diameter of where the bullet rings start at the widest point and subtract the caliber.

My 25 cal M3 Sniper impresses more every time I shoot it. Powerful, accurate and a huge shot count with the 580cc tank. I retuned it recently for the cooler weather, now shooting 25 grain @ 925fps on power level 3 and 90 bar on the reg.
Yeah, same here! I haven’t done anything to mine except change the macro adjust, 8 for the 25gr, 16 for the 34’s. Mine was shooting the 25’s at 905 on 16 and then I changed to 12 and then 8 and the groups really tightened up. Haven’t checked the velocity on the new settings. They don’t need to be super fast, I prefer super accurate. I’ve only checked the shot count once and got to 140, which was when my 1st reg got to my 2nd reg level. I’m still playing and figuring things out.

I moved the cocking lever to the left side but I don’t like it there and think I’ll move it back. I’ve been shooting right handed bolt guns left hand since I was 12 and don’t like working the bolt with my left hand on this.

sounds about right to me lol

my m3 .25 compact has has no problem hitting hosps at 100yds running the 34gn jsb at 865fps.

stretch her out!
it will most certainly make you laugh out loud :cool:
I have mine shooting at 835 with the 34gr jsb. Shot a little at 100 yards one day but it was quite windy so the groups were just ok. The 34s are proving to be quite a bit more accurate than the 25’s and I just stocked up on the 25’s… Oh well, they won’t go to waste.