CRAZIEST THING I'VE EVER SEEN

Yesterday we got out my son's Hatsan AT-44 to shoot. When we tried to insert a magazine, it wouldn't fit??? I tried all three other magazines and none of them would fit. It's like the breech area had shrunk or the magazines had expanded. We have shot this gun many times, know how to use it, we're not dummies. I am baffled though! When we put it in the safe everything worked fine, took it out yesterday and none of the 4 magazines fit. There is no damage to the breech area or the magazines. It's totally crazy. I'm going to make a video right now because I'm so baffled. Thoughts??? Stoti

Video won't upload but I have it. If someone wants to see it and help me figure this out, I can e-mail it. I know this sounds weird, but we're not rookies, dummies or crazy. LOL 

Two likely causes.

1. On many air rifles, the breech end of the barrel can be slid forward and back, which adjusts what other people would call "head space". If the barrel has moved towards the butt, then you may not be able to get the magazine in.

2. As said before, if the bolt is not going all the way back, the tip of the bolt may be blocking the magazine from sliding in .

3. Highly unlikely, but you may have your magazines accidently swapped from one of your other air rifles. Many look very similar.

The picture below is of the Marauder breech, the barrel was slid back until it made contact with the Magazine, without pinching it. Then the screws which secured the barrel were tightened down.

1533411609_10925603005b660119cb2822.63149146_marauder breech.jpg

I have an at 44. Double check that barrel. Make sure it hasent slid back. Also check the pellets arent seated too far in. I had the brillant idea of seating pellets in the magazine with a springer seater. I had actually pushed the skirts past the oring and the pellets slid forward and jammed as I tried to cycle thru. The magazine port is pretty straight forward but make sure there isnt anything jammed up in the corners. I also noticed that if the gun is cocked it can be hard to take a magazine out (perhaps it is also difficult to put one in). Cock.the.gun and dry fire in a safe direction. Hope you get it solved quickly.

So, I'm working on the video when I get home. I will try to upload it. As far as the suggestion so far, it's none of those things. The magazines haven't been switched on accident, the probe is fully retracted, the breach doesn't move, the mags are being inserted in the correct direction, pellets fit well within the magazine. The magazines will not go in at all, they barely even get started. When we try and push them in, they barely hit on the upper left corner of the magazine cut out where it kind of comes to a point. . It's almost like the slot was damaged and the metal in the upper left corner was pushed in, making the slot a tad smaller. However, there is no damage and the cut out is perfectly straight as it should be. Looks normal. The gun and magazines have been in the case, untouched since we last used it. At that time it functioned perfectly. It really seems as if the magazines are either too big or the magazine slot too small. We have used this gun a lot, know how it functions, know how to load and shoot it and have even taken it apart a few times. We're not newbies, as I'm sure many of you are thinking we are at this point. I really am baffled! Help! I'll work on getting the video posted when I get home although I think I explained it pretty well. The opening is just too small! Stoti

ok stoti. I am bored today so i have been looking for a cure. Look up hatsan at 44 magazine issues on your search engine. It brought me to the GTA forum. There is a guy having the same issues. Most of the guys are saying two things to look for. One is to loosen the hammer spring adjustment (just in case you have been tinkering) and the other is a screw that backs out a little over time in the loading port of the magazine well. Just trying to help. I will keep looking

The gun wasn't dropped or damaged. I put it in the case and the safe myself after our last shooting session with it. I'm the only one with the combo to the safe. When I tried to load a magazine and it wouldn't fit, one of the first things I did was check for obstructions, I then checked the magazine slot area, hand loaded a few pellets and shot the gun. It works fine, shoots fine and sounds right. Tonight I'm going to check out the videos you mentioned, but I haven't yet. I don't know if I'll ever find the cause of this issue so now I'm just thinking of a solution. All of the suggestions you guys have thrown at me thus far have been helpful and it's great to be pushed to think in different directions, but unfortunately, none of those have been the cause of this problem. Since everything in the area of the magazine port is steel and I have four aluminum magazines, I'm going to grind or sand the back of the magazine to make it fit. After that, I thought I'd sand down the interior area of the magazine slot so the magazines will fit properly. I'm still completely baffled, but I appreciate all of the suggestions and ideas, Everybody have a great rest of your weekend. Stoti

I'm very, very new to posting videos online and have never posted anything to YouTube before. I got my boys to help me out and I think we got it. I just uploaded the 47 second video that I made of my son and I trying to load the magazines into the gun. Pretty much is exactly what I tried to explain but now you can see for yourself that I'm not some crazy ass newbie that doesn't know the difference between the muzzle and the breech. I hope someone can help figure this one out for me because my boys and I are absolutely baffled. Thank you. Stoti

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEMdRHpfUac

IT ACTUALLY WORKS!!! I VIEWED IT AND BOTH OF MY BOYS PULLED IT UP ON THEIR COMPUTERS. I'm sorry if you can't view it but I've already spent so much time and effort with this gun and it's problem, making the video, uploading the video, posting it on YouTube, linking it to Airgun Nation, etc... Everyone in my family can pull it up. If you can't, I'm really very sorry, I'm just done. Sorry!

Just a crazy thought. Pull off the side name plare (i think 2 or 3 screws hold it on) and check for a cracked reciever. There is also and indexing pin in there and Im wondering if that could be bent? I realize you have probably gone over this gun 100 times by now but this seems like it should be a simple solution. Any chance there is a pellet or a piece of one jammed into the centering groove? Ugg im almost as frustrated as you are.

Never Modify the gun if you have to modify something always grind on the cheaper parts. They can be replaced for a lot less money. When I had my store and had a firearm with a weird problem and after a few hours of working on it I would put it on the bench and go work on something else . Then the next day come at it fresh, you would be surprised how often that works.

Relax and reengage it tomorrow . Good luck