• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Coyotes to Whitetails

Airforce Texan SS or LSS CF .457

I second this. I haven't been air gunning as long as a lot of these folks but have been tromping the woods since I could run away from mom.

45 or 50 cal are going to beat the 357, especially if you want just one for yotes to elk (yea, I know you said white tails), and if you are an elk hunter, you'll be scratching that itch sooner than later.

I would recommend a Texan in what ever heavy caliber you choose and the second gen air valve. If you get the carbon fiber wrapped tank, you are in business. I have the first gen and it is a beast. 3-4 full power shots is about it for a 457 cal whit 300ish grain slugs. Looking at 500-600 ft-lb muzzle energy. I would use these for just about anything larger than a rabbit.

143 round balls can go to 10 shots at full power, and generate 250ish ft-lb. Fantastic coyote and even pig medicine. Cheap, accurate, and fun.

Think archery and muzzle loader terminals. They work, and have for centuries at these levels, but use blood loss for the terminals. Put a good shot, sit down, have a bottle of water and sandwich, then follow up on the shot. Give it time to lay down and bleed out.

Lots of opinions, and that is mine.

Happy Shopping and welcome to the mayhem.

I second this. I haven't been air gunning as long as a lot of these folks but have been tromping the woods since I could run away from mom.

45 or 50 cal are going to beat the 357, especially if you want just one for yotes to elk (yea, I know you said white tails), and if you are an elk hunter, you'll be scratching that itch sooner than later.

I would recommend a Texan in what ever heavy caliber you choose and the second gen air valve. If you get the carbon fiber wrapped tank, you are in business. I have the first gen and it is a beast. 3-4 full power shots is about it for a 457 cal whit 300ish grain slugs. Looking at 500-600 ft-lb muzzle energy. I would use these for just about anything larger than a rabbit.

143 round balls can go to 10 shots at full power, and generate 250ish ft-lb. Fantastic coyote and even pig medicine. Cheap, accurate, and fun.

Spoken like a Texan. 😅 I got a good laugh outa that. He’s right though, those larger caliber Texans are an entirely different animal. The .45 handles business. Dunno how the Texans perform in lower calibers. Also dunno about the newer valves. 

Spoken like a Texan. 😅 I got a good laugh outa that. He’s right though, those larger caliber Texans are an entirely different animal. The .45 handles business. Dunno how the Texans perform in lower calibers. Also dunno about the newer valves.

LOL, that didn't quite translate correctly, did it. They will get the job done and are very accurate. For larger vermin, raccoons to coyotes, the round balls are good medicine. Yes heavy slugs will work fine, but are a bit overkill. To tell the truth, I would probably opt for the 25 cal up to coyote depending on distance for the yote.

I have the 3000lb. bottle and first gen valve Texan. If the second is any better in reality, is another subject. They are fuzzy mittens on paper though.