• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Coyotes out to 50 yards.

House full for the holidays... They leave Thursday so I will do it this weekend. Wife says "no shooting while the kids are here" lol If you can then do it. I will too. more of a controlled experiment. If both can or can't with different velocities and rounds it is a better gauge of what a .30cal can do on a body shot

Understandable.

I'm a little backed up over here too. I recently did some testing with a Clear Ballistics Gel Alphabet org grade block. The NSA 142 gr zipped straight through at 10 yards, and the NSA 79 gr almost made it through. The NSA 110 gr also zipped through. I also had some interesting results with Predator Polymags with a massive wound channel

In a neighborhood environment, I'm not sure you'd want to do chest shots at all. Some will run over into a neighbor's yard to die and you'll have to do The Walk of Shame.

Also remember that the bigger the caliber, the louder they are and harder to quiet down. A .50 cal. will be louder than a .22 rimfire. Same for .357. A .30 cal. even will require a hefty moderator to be neighborhood-friendly.

You don't need anything more than a nice .25. Pellets will be cheap. (compared to anything bigger bore)

The only thing about yotes is that they have that angled skull, so if they're looking at you, you pretty much need to hit them right between the eyes. It's better if they're looking away, so you can put one in the back of the head or in the ear.

.25 with pellets will also do the job with a lung shot, but they will run a bit before expiring.

Something like a Benjamin Marauder in .25 with an additional moderator on it will do the trick for under a grand. Scope-wise, you don't need anything too fancy: a UTG 3-9x50 with lit reticle will do nicely. You'll want that 50 mm objective for shooting in low light, and the lit reticle for being able to see it over the yote.

I once read that someone killed a bear with a .22LR. Just because it was done once doesn't mean it was smart or the right tool for the job, and I feel the same way about the .25 cal.

And to recommend a pellet that will lose more than a 1/3 rd of it's energy at 75 yards is just a bad call for a heart lung shot.

Big bore owners that are concerned about noise bought a suppressor the same day they bought their gun. A suppressed .357 Bulldog would be quiet enough to shoot at 3am , as I do it on the regular. How can you be concerned about doing a Walk Of Shame, when you're not even willing to use enough power for the job?

Sling a 142 gr slug through a coyote shoulder when you put one in the boiler room, and the only running that yote is doing is up the stairway to heaven.

The only thing better than dead, is really dead because you had power to spare.