• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Coyote hunting question

There’s been more and more coyotes around my neighborhood they’ve been snatching little dogs in backyards. I have several pups as well and I want to do something about it. I’ve never shot at an animal this big before and hope you guys can give some pointers.

1. Would a .22 suffice or is a .25 required?
2. What fpe is ideal?
3. Are Jsb Diabolos sufficient?
4. What’s the best shot placement?
5. Any tips on luring them out?
6. What’s the best time to watch out for them?

There’s been more and more coyotes around my neighborhood they’ve been snatching little dogs in backyards. I have several pups as well and I want to do something about it. I’ve never shot at an animal this big before and hope you guys can give some pointers.

2. What fpe is ideal?
1-3) search the threads. There are several threads and posts explaining what brought the original poster success. Simply search the forums using the word “coyote” and you’ll see that these sort of questions have been discussed significantly on AGN.
4) aim for the brain
5) yes, food or calls. Search the threads.
6) set out cameras to see if you can recognize patterns.

Use as big of a caliber as you can! I took 8 coyotes out last year with my .25 airgun using slugs. Furthest one was just over 85 yards. Not a twitch after the slug impacted his dome.

You will need to make sure you ANCHOR the shot. The last thing you want is for a wounded critter to run around the neighborhood and cause a problem.

How close are you able to get to the yote for a shot?
Do you have any other options other than just an airgun? Have used Bow as well as my 22lr and 17hmr and all three are great.

Baits and calls will work, but with the bait you may just let other yotes in the area know there is a free meal. This will either draw more in making the issue larger, or if you have just the one you are ok. Cameras are a great idea like Ezana4CE mentioned. Figure out the patterns and MAKE SURE it is only one yote. I would be willing to bet there are more in the area and you are only seeing one at a time ;)

Where are you located at, as there may be members here that would be willing to help you out if you haven't hunting anything like a yote before.

Reactions: MarksmanPete
Man tough call there. There are a lot of people that would take such an offense to it. It would suck if they called the cops on you. Maybe let the coyote get their dogs and I am sure they would change their minds. Lol. I think if it's legal to shoot air rifles in town and local cops are good with it go for it. I don't base how I live on what people think of me but that's me. I'm 49 and don't have time for that stuff. I will tell you brain shots because even if you do a good heart/lung shot the will run off and die somewhere else(neighbors yard). Also, there is potential with vital shot to heart/ lungs of them making some yelps and such which will let others(people) know something up drawing more scrutiny towards you. Some might thank you others who knows. Need safe back drop as well if you get a pass through don't need collateral damage to property. I don't have neighbors and just roll them up with what is by the door. Lol. Some air rifles are loud another consideration. I have a few that sound like 22lr going off so maybe a moderator. Closer the better and coyotes once they know there are easy meals will be back. They are predators of opportunity and like us will go with what's easy to do. I kill more coyotes at night with NV and thermals than daytime probably 4 to 1 but I am out actually hunting them. Calling could be tough in a neighborhood cause others will hear. Probably game cameras set up to figure out time if they are consistently coming in your yard. CYA first and check regs first.

Good luck
Jon

Check your laws. Im also in Ca and in my city were allowed to defend agricultural livestock from predators by any means.
Im also very open with my two neighbors on each side of me about my pellet guns and their ability to exterminate pests. They all are ok with it. Its only annoying when Im plinking around that I get a text asking what Im trying to kill.

Reactions: S2k626

2. What fpe is ideal?
@S2k626 I visited your state’s department of fish and wildlife and y’all have a ton of state regulations. Then I saw something about “hazing” coyotes to make them feel uncomfortable around humans in an urban setting for their safety and the safety of people. It almost implies that they don’t want people to kill them. Then there’s a statute against harassing coyotes, in which shooting one in the ass or somewhere else that wouldn’t kill them, but cause them to run off wounded (as another member suggested). Don’t do it. And I read that y’all have to use non-lead projectiles. Hey man, I got tired reading some of this. I suggest you do some research, contact a game warden, and probably a local police department before attempting to do anything to a coyote. If you live around a lot of people and someone has you on camera or worse - social media - , your life can be seriously disrupted especially if you’re not shooting on your own privately owned parcel of land.

Here’s the “Hazing Q&A” document

Then this article mentions hazing and some other strange suggestions like feeding your pets indoors.
C77238ED-C322-4598-B076-D3DC2D39FB8F.jpeg

Here’s a webpage where a guy in a California City wanted to shoot coyotes with a bow and arrow around his condo complex. His question is similar to what to you’re asking. It also briefly addresses shooting them with pellet rifles.

I also thought the California Department of Fish and Game was your state’s regulatory agency for hunting and fishing. Then I saw a Department of Fish and Wildlife. I don’t know if these are supposed to be the same agency or what. Good luck to you man. I hope you don’t find yourself on the wrong side of the law in your efforts. That’s a lot. Maybe reach out to some AGN members that live and hunt with airguns out there.

Last edited:
LDC, brain shot, DRT, bury, rinse and repeat. In CA they don't arrest shoplifters, burglars, car vandals, so if you don't advertise your actions you probably get the same treatment.

This person brought a dead raccoon to MacDonald's in SF CA he wasn't arrested. Where was fish and game, the police, OSHA, the health dept. All missing in action!

Last edited:
If they’re coming for my pets I don’t ask permission. I’m sure this is controversial but not open for debate with me. Don’t advertise what you’re doing and Be aware of your backdrop when you take a shot. Shot placement is key, I would suggest 25 caliber or greater, there has been a lot of coyotes taken with a 25 caliber marauder. I use 25, 30, and 35.

Reactions: Rich_B
If you’ve ever dealt with coyotes on a daily basis and see what they do and how they do it, then you would agree that any dead coyote is a good coyote, regardless of how he dies. One or two coyotes here and there is nothing. When they are chewing the nose off of a calf when it isn’t even out of the cow or eating their guts out while he’s laying there bawling, maybe you’d change your tune. Coyotes are a rung below the worst pedophile out there in heir morals.

If you’ve ever dealt with coyotes on a daily basis and see what they do and how they do it, then you would agree that any dead coyote is a good coyote, regardless of how he dies. One or two coyotes here and there is nothing. When they are chewing the nose off of a calf when it isn’t even out of the cow or eating their guts out while he’s laying there bawling, maybe you’d change your tune. Coyotes are a rung below the worst pedophile out there in heir morals.
🎯

2. What fpe is ideal?
@Rich_B Above are the original poster’s questions.

What are you on about in the above quote besides encouraging AGN members and visitors to break the law? How do you even think this crap even relevant? You’re talking about cows, the OP is ina neighborhood talking about dogs and puppies.

@Rich_B Above are the original poster’s questions.

What are you on about in the above quote besides encouraging AGN members and visitors to break the law? How do you even think this crap even relevant? You’re talking about cows, the OP is ina neighborhood talking about dogs and puppies.
You completely miss the point I guess. Coyotes don’t kill anything before they eat it. They won’t kill your dog, puppy, cat, or child before they start eating away. Now, if you think that’s ok, go ahead and coexist.

The OP already has it determined that these coyotes in his neighborhood need to be dealt with with lead, you on the other hand put on your game warden badge and started to try to take the moral high ground. If you take the moral high ground with coyotes, you’re going to lose every time, and until you’ve had the experience with them eating anything of yours, you’ll never understand.

S2k626,
It’s your deal and you can deal with it the way you see fit, but I don’t think you want to walk out in the back yard to a coyote eating one of your pups while it’s laying there squalling. It’s a bad sight to see.

While washing my car this morning a neighbor on my street just told me that the coyotes just got his daughter’s cat. He said he found pieces of the cat, mainly only the tail was intact. I’m going to keep all my dogs inside and supervise my dogs at all times when I let them out to do their business. Our dogs are only 14lbs and 18lbs and would make an easy meal.

@Rich_B The OP asked specific questions. In your posts, how many did you answer? But I missed the point? What I didn’t miss is you inserting yourself in this thread along with another member and providing bad advice, your opinion, and a personal attack, go figure. If the OP wanted to just do as he pleased, he probably wouldn’t come to a public forum seeking advice. The fact that he’s asking questions about how to remedy an issue that concerns him suggests that he isn’t too interested in doing the wrong things or breaking laws. Good on you @S2k626 ! However, it appears that you are and that’s your business. What concerns me is you when offering bad advice to others on an open airgun forum. I’m not looking forward to the public or officials holding all airgunners to the metric of individuals caught breaking the law with airguns. Not only that, but doing so violates AGN’s rules. If that’s what you want to do, why not take that mess elsewhere where it’s acceptable? But I’m wearing a game warden badge because I provided facts that correlate to the circumstances surrounding the questions and said something about you misleading readers on an open forum? Ok. I’m done with you on this. You can keep pissing on your leg if you desire, but your assumption about me are telling. Also your logic appears to be flawed and it doesn’t surprise me.