Coyote Hunting Palooza

Those who have followed my adventures are most likely aware of my frequent Coyote hunts, many of them I don't document due to the graphic nature but from time to time I do share some of these trips. This last trip we loaded up the truck and headed a good day away of driving to a large poultry farm that has a horrendous problem with coyotes. I brought two primary tools for the job, one being the Western Airguns Rattler in .30 that I have setup to shoot the 50gr jsb conservatively at 950 fps. Normally I would use the 65gr NSA slugs but I ran out last week and only had a few left. I planned to use this as I have a good amount of trigger time behind it now. The second rifle I brought for Terry to use was the Daystate Alpha Wolf in .30 that I have tuned to shoot the 50gr JSB's at 930 fps.

Snapshot_126.png

Upon arrival we took some time to check zero and do a walkaround of the property to get a few ideas o where we can setup for the evening. I did speak with the farmer and he gave us some tips for where he thought we might have the best luck spotting these creatures. The property has several large pens that hold thousands of free range chickens, its essentially like Disneyland for coyotes.

Snapshot_129.png

It's not uncommon to see Coyotes roaming the property throughout daylight hours, however most of the action is taken after dark.

Snapshot_122.png

The area offers many places one can hide to get as up close and personal as you like, however I prefer high ground when possible.

Snapshot_121.png

We setup on top of a giant literal pile of crap, a sacrifice we sometimes have to make to get the job done right? As darkness fell it was time to throw on the OneLeaf NV100's, these are clip on units that work fairly well and are able to record in 1080p with a decent throw with the IR light. Terry, Marley and I sat for a good hour of so before spotting our first Coyote that came in to range at 130 yards. Forgive the photos as they're just rough snapshots of raw video and have not been graded yet.

Snapshot_114.png

I think he noticed us and swiftly moved off to the left, notice the bunny?

About 15min later he came back in, swooped up the bunny and I was able to get a shot off that sent him tumbling down into a ravine. He didn't get the bunny but did get served a late night serving of lead.

Snapshot_134.png

Snapshot_133.png

Moving along we had a few more sightings but didn't make another connection until around 2:45am just after we heard a howling frenzy. This guy came walking in, moved behind a dirt pile and then a few moments later came back out and offered me a perfect profile...hit just above the shoulder and pounded him to the ground like a hammer....Terry was yelling, Holy $#%^ dude you smoked him. It's very common for them to do the doggy dance and that's just what happened, he was a real acrobat. We attempted to locate but unfortunately could not with all the thick brush.

Snapshot_117.png

Snapshot_132.png

We all didn't get to sleep until around quarter to 4:00am, ended up being so tired I didn't even setup a tent and just passed out on my little fold out cot. The following morning we packed up and headed back home, we were absolutely exhausted with only a few hours of sleep. I was pleased with how well the Rattler performed, it really is an awesome gun for this type of fast paced hunting out to extended ranges. I did document this trip through video and will eventually make something out of it, just takes time.

Last edited:
@Crosman999 This is one video I look forward to! They will pile up in thickets. It’s really a pain if you’re incessant upon retrieving a carcass. Posting up on a mound of shyt? 🥴 Well I guess that’s one way to throw them off your scent. How many did you hit on this trip? Terry bag any?
Terry had luck on the trip before, his was at 140 I believe. I think in total we've gotten 6 on this location. When hiking around you will sometimes find carcasses, it's like "well that's where he went". Honestly it gets kinda frustrating sometimes because you want to find them otherwise it feels like it never happened.

Wow I am pretty impressed with that oneleaf based on stills of videos!!! also great shooting! So it seems the rattler is a heavy hitter huh? Thats some impressive work, looking forward to your video!
Thanks, the OneLeaf is good enough but not perfect. Can't complain on the $300 price though. The Rattler is a beast, it makes a reduculous amount of power very easily. This imo is near the perfect gun for coyotes although I think the AW is pretty good too and much easier to carry around.

Terry had luck on the trip before, his was at 140 I believe. I think in total we've gotten 6 on this location. When hiking around you will sometimes find carcasses, it's like "well that's where he went". Honestly it gets kinda frustrating sometimes because you want to find them otherwise it feels like it never happened.
Of the coyotes shot, how many have you actually recovered? Shooting critters with a low expectation of putting your hands on them is unethical. Not caring enough to follow up and finish is unethical.

Of the coyotes shot, how many have you actually recovered? Shooting critters with a low expectation of putting your hands on them is unethical. Not caring enough to follow up and finish is unethical.

You should really preface that by saying "I feel..." because nobody is going to recover yotes unless you want fleas and the diseases they carry.

You should really preface that by saying "I feel..." because nobody is going to recover yotes unless you want fleas and the diseases they carry.
I kill over twenty coyotes a year on average. I follow up on all of them and I put my hands on them all. If you didn't recover them, you didn't get six coyotes... Unless they've redefined the word "get".

Avoiding the direct question seems telling. How many of the coyotes shot were recovered?

ETA- That "Beast" of an airgun is putting out the same energy as a standard velocity 22 LR shooting 40 grain slugs. Not a center punching coyote powerhouse. Runners and unrecoverables are not surprising.

Last edited: