Coyote Hunter Recommendations

I am looking for a PCP rifle and caliber and pellet recommendation for a coyote hunt? What does the forum recommend? I am looking for quality, 100 yd kill capability and occasionally back yard friendly.

View attachment 280702

Please advise.
The closer, the better..... You have to make a precise shot to the brain or to the heart.

I have taken coyotes at 350 yards... Yes, but with 30-06.....

Hunting with airgun is similar to hunting with bow and arrow: You need to be close and you have to place the shot exactly.

Try to shoot closer to 70 yards in order you can dully place the shot.

Coyotes move fast and stop just for a second. You have to be able to make your shot precisely in that second.

If you are not sure to be able to make a precise shot at good distance, you better do no shoot.

I do not hunt by night except mice at my warehouse. With daylight you see the coyotes come running to your call, so you can get prepared for that precise second.

The New Western Airguns Rattler in .30 is currently sitting in my roster for Coyote abatement. I've got it tuned "conservatively" to 120fpe using 65gr NSA's but it will do the 110gr High Arc hunters at 170fpe...300+ yard gun with 17 shots as fast as you can pull the trigger.
Dana, the Rattler seem to be designed for coyote hunting.

I am anxious to see your hunting review!!!

That rifle has power, accuracy and is able to send shot after shot: Ideal combination for coyote hunting....

Reactions: N2 Shooter
I second the .357 Benjamin Bulldog. Buy one for $8-900. Send it directly to Brian Thurman at Veradium Air. He will do all the good stuff to it. I had mine tuned to shoot (Mr. Hollowpoint) slugs in the 120-140gr weight, but it has shot most pellets and slugs well that I have tried. I would not hesitate to shoot a coyote up to a max of 75 yards after some practice at the various ranges. My gun also wears an ATN 4K Pro 5-20, mine is in the ATN quick detach mount. A DFL Ronin or Emperor will make the noise tolerable, especially at night, when most people are inside sleeping. The heat of summer with the A/C running or when it's cold enough that windows and doors will be shut are best. The line of sight in my yard is only 35 yards (with 250 uninhabited yards behind it), so no real need for the rangefinder, but if I felt the need, I'd sure own it.

I disagree that a .17 WSM (PB) is insufficient to kill a coyote. Six months after I moved in I killed one using just that (Savage Bmag), at 112 yards, it ran 150 yard more and piled up dead.

I feel a special sense of responsibility when shooting a coyote. If you wound one, you have just created a "calf killer". Unable to hunt in the wild, it will seek out livestock, house cats and dogs, possibly even small children. If I were able to use a PB, a .223, 6x45 or .243 would be my first choice, but I can only get by with a silenced rimfire, and I better do my make best to make sure it is only 1 shot. I'd go for a head shot with a .30 cal airgun at 25-35 yards, but beyond that I'd prefer the .357 and up.

Very seldom do I take a shot at more than 50 yards around here. Mostly 25-35 yards. I try to get targets in open spaces but they often dash quickly into nearby brush. This can be blackberry vines, tall grass and lower tree foliage. My .22 rimfire was semi-effective in these conditions but with some expected deflection. I've tried to use .22 JSB Exact 18.13gr through brush on some small critters. Maybe its me but I typically get some serious deflection even at 25 yards at over 900fps. The .30 JSB Hades and Exact at 44.75 gr both seem to punch through much better at 850fps. I'm new to airguns and my lead instincts have yet to become natural to me but I've found the .30 caliber seems to get the job done better than the .22 in my case. Neither are as proficient as my Ruger 10/22 but then I've shot thousands of rounds through the three that I own.
@stoutblock Thank you for that explanation. I can envision what you mean a whole lot better now. I’ve shot into and through lot of different types of vegetation with .25 and .30 airguns (grass, shrubs, tree branches, weeds, thickets, etc.). I have a thread where I shot my Evol .30 out to 100 yards for the first time and shot into some sort of brush, I think it was a sapling. From what I recall the pellet that I had expected to break through a part of the plant in fact deflected and ended up hitting the bullseye on another target. I’ve also target shot in various scenarios intent upon testing ideas or trying to recreate a situation I’ve encountered while hunting. What I’ve learned is that when airgun hunting my best shots are clear shots.

For coyote hunting I want to be within 50 yards ideally, no futher than 75 yards, but I will shoot out 100 yards if I few others options present themselves. I will also shoot whatever I have available if I catch them in the act of depredating livestock. Ideally I’d like to at least use a .30 caliber airgun.

Last edited:
Have Varmint hunted all my life with powder burners (.17 WinMag to 6.5 Grendel). Then I learned of the youngster that wins competitive Varmint competitions with an airgun. I have a Daystate 30 Wolverine, an Edgun SuperMag 25, and a Daystate 22 HP Huma Wolverine. All shots from blinds at 25 to 100 yds, and all yotes DRT! (headshots only with heavy pellets in @ caliber) Plan to experiment with slugs next year

So I think its safe to say that .257 or bigger is required. I have a very experienced powder burning buddy who always takes head shots and hunts yote with just a red light. He purposely makes paths in the winter in the snow of the farmers fields. He has told me time and time again that the yote ALWAYS take the paths, a few years back he started using one of those electronic callers and he says its almost too easy, blue tooth remote on his rifle, already sighted in, makes the call.... they stop in the path right where hes lined up to shoot and down 1 goes. He is shooting a .270 though.

Two reasonable ways to shoot coyotes with an air rifle IMHO, neither of which I would do at long range. A big bore which I would categorize as a 357 or above would allow head or body shots. The reason for a 357 or above is so it will punch a big enough hole without expansion. Expansion really reduces penetration and you need both for a coyote body shot. You may have to break the shoulder to get to the vitals which requires penetration. The problem with long range is the trajectory. You would need to know the range well and your trajectory well making a well placed shots iffy. A really powerful big bore would have the energy if you can place the shot.

The other way to do it is to limit yourself to head shots. The hole size is not very important if you hit the brain. But that requires a very well placed shot. I do not think it is reasonable to attempt these shots at long range. I see 50 yards as the longest shot I would take and only then with a really accurate gun. I would not take the shot with a gun that would not shoot through 1/2 inch plywood at the distance you take the shot. That means a powerful 22 or 25 caliber. I don't think either makes a big enough hole for a clean body shot kill, the only kill I want, but their projectile into the brain would kill reliably.

I have no big bores so I don't know how effectively they can be suppressed. The only ones I have heard were really loud. I have two 25 calibers at least one of which I think is powerful enough for a head shot on a coyote and I have both of them down to mid 80 dbs. I think that is pretty back yard friendly.

So if you are willing to reduce your range by about 1/2 then I think it can be done. But I agree with most of the others that 100 yards or further is centerfire territory.

Reactions: ChRiSiS
Hi I live where coyotes have eaten pets and had them come in packs , and did alot of damage I joined this forumn in like 2018 and since then I have taken 19 coyotes which had to be taken out , first things is I read alot of different opinion and guns , I will give my honest input and tell of the ones I have taken and yardage ,
I live in a place I cant use centerfire rifles , while I would be running them I cant here where I live , I have gotten coyotes with 3 calibers , 22 caliber , 30 caliber and my 257 caliber ,
This being said Now lets discuss ammo for them , I only use solid slugs soft lead , I had dropped them out to 100 yards yes one was a hair over but it was with my ,257 and it has alot more power then say my 22 or 30 caliber , my slugs of choice in 22 cal I only use my MP slugs 34 to 36 grain and I will not shoot beyond 60ish yards with this setup , I only will take a heart shot with the 22 , I had them drop in tracks and run up to 70 yards but were dead on feet , My guns of choice is in 22 is edgun R5m 22 shooting 69fps at muzzle you will need min 60 FPE at impact for a human kill on a 35 to 50 pound animal ,
Now in 30 cal My ammo of choice is 52 gr solid slugs my guns of choice is edgun r5 superlong and evol , they shoot around 100fpe so hit much harder and can strech it out further ,

now the 257 I used is a condor with a RL barrel and I shoot 73 grains or 92 grains around 230fpe this I took a yote a bit
further then 100 yards but it has alot more retained energy ,
I dont use this one much as it is a long big gun I prefer smaller but this is my most powerful pcp gun it has a 32 inch barrel and a 1000 cc tank and it uses a 127 gr hammer weight and a special pcp tunes valve and a 2.0 spring ,

Now next ammo ok I only lost 1 coyote and it was with a hollow point , It was a close shot like 39 yards and I shot in head , the slug somehow must have not followed path of shot like deflected , which brings me to next point , do not shoot threw trees or brush with a pcp ever , they can deflect and cause a bad shot placement ,

I would tell anyone here if targeting yotes with pcp guns make certain your gun can hit a 1/2 or less poi at range you shooting , if not do not take shot , coyotes are pretty tough animals here , I am sure they vary size in different states , I have read of guys taking them with pellets and lower powered guns , I feel less then what I said is not ethical ,

sp anyone going to hunt yotes heart shots best My R5min .22 cal punches threw both sides and exists out of other side 9 of 10 times , 30 cal puts them down most times with out taking a step ,
I have a background of long distance shooting so I had 10s of thousands of rounds of firing solutions down range and used to hunt yotes with centerfire guns at pretty long distances on farms beyond 400 yds with guns like my sako 22 250 which slings ammo 3900fps to guns as big as 300wm which shoots a 165 or 180 gr at over 3000 fpe , so a gun like this a tiny bit of brush wont affect it like a airgun and range dont matter if you know the dope for the shot ,
Main thing is practice practice and tune gun to be constant with slugs being used make certain you dont use ammo which has fliers , alot of newer hunters seem to have whats called buck fever and may not wait for a perfect shot , with a pcp you have to wait for a good shot or pass it up unless you have no choice , what I mean by this is one time My neighbor let his 6 pound dog out and it was in my garden it was dusk he was having a beer and not near his dog , I luckily had my 30 cal edgun on my table next to sliding door , It was early fall and my slider was open when I walked out I sayw a yote sneaking up on him to eat him , I grabbed gun and when I shot him he fell 5 feet from his dog , So my point is sometimes you have to take a shot or it can kill pets , I have neighbors who raise chickens and other livestock so they attracted to be here , my yard has a small pond and I live where a trout stream is and woods , the area is also farm land and alot of farms being built on like parents die and kids sell to devolopers so this pushes coyotes to run now in packs and over populate , The other thing is diease I have taken 3 yotes which were suffering with mange or rabies nasty the fur rots off with oozing open wounds athey need to be taken out , I would also say if I see yotes not bothering anything like just living their life not causing damage I let them be

here is ammo i use and some pics
sickcoyote.jpg

LOU

30 cl 48 gr.jpg
30calammo.jpg
257 72 gr.jpg
257 118 gr.jpg
0117192227c_resized.jpg
0409190915a_resized.jpg

Last edited:
You can totally get something that will ethically dispatch a coyote at 100 yards. You are just not going to have back yard friendly. But my first choice would be Veradium air Taurus 357 as folks are dropping hogs and deer in there tracks at that range plus. My second choice would be the 58cal zeus. Both those rifles have an amazing long range accuracy. Taurus much more accurate then the zeus. But your not going to get long range and back yard friendly in the same tool.

Hi I live where coyotes have eaten pets and had them come in packs , and did alot of damage I joined this forumn in like 2018 and since then I have taken 19 coyotes which had to be taken out , first things is I read alot of different opinion and guns , I will give my honest input and tell of the ones I have taken and yardage ,
I live in a place I cant use centerfire rifles , while I would be running them I cant here where I live , I have gotten coyotes with 3 calibers , 22 caliber , 30 caliber and my 257 caliber ,
This being said Now lets discuss ammo for them , I only use solid slugs soft lead , I had dropped them out to 100 yards yes one was a hair over but it was with my ,257 and it has alot more power then say my 22 or 30 caliber , my slugs of choice in 22 cal I only use my MP slugs 34 to 36 grain and I will not shoot beyond 60ish yards with this setup , I only will take a heart shot with the 22 , I had them drop in tracks and run up to 70 yards but were dead on feet , My guns of choice is in 22 is edgun R5m 22 shooting 69fps at muzzle you will need min 60 FPE at impact for a human kill on a 35 to 50 pound animal ,
Now in 30 cal My ammo of choice is 52 gr solid slugs my guns of choice is edgun r5 superlong and evol , they shoot around 100fpe so hit much harder and can strech it out further ,

now the 257 I used is a condor with a RL barrel and I shoot 73 grains or 92 grains around 230fpe this I took a yote a bit
further then 100 yards but it has alot more retained energy ,
I dont use this one much as it is a long big gun I prefer smaller but this is my most powerful pcp gun it has a 32 inch barrel and a 1000 cc tank and it uses a 127 gr hammer weight and a special pcp tunes valve and a 2.0 spring ,

Now next ammo ok I only lost 1 coyote and it was with a hollow point , It was a close shot like 39 yards and I shot in head , the slug somehow must have not followed path of shot like deflected , which brings me to next point , do not shoot threw trees or brush with a pcp ever , they can deflect and cause a bad shot placement ,

I would tell anyone here if targeting yotes with pcp guns make certain your gun can hit a 1/2 or less poi at range you shooting , if not do not take shot , coyotes are pretty tough animals here , I am sure they vary size in different states , I have read of guys taking them with pellets and lower powered guns , I feel less then what I said is not ethical ,

sp anyone going to hunt yotes heart shots best My m punches threw both sides 9 and exists out of other side 9 of 10 times , 30 cal puts them down most times with out taking a step ,
I have a background of long distance shooting so I had 10s of thousands of rounds of firing solutions down range and used to hunt yotes with centerfire guns at pretty long distances on farms beyond 400 yds with guns like my sako 22 250 which slings ammo 3900fps to guns as big as 300wm which shoots a 165 or 180 gr at over 3000 fpe , so a gun like this a tiny bit of brush wont affect it like a airgun and range dont matter if you know the dope for the shot ,
Main thing is practice practice and tune gun to be constant with slugs being used make certain you dont use ammo which has fliers , alot of newer hunters seem to have whats called buck fever and may not wait for a perfect shot , with a pcp you have to wait for a good shot or pass it up unless you have no choice , what I mean by this is one time My neighbor let his 6 pound dog out and it was in my garden it was dusk he was having a beer and not near his dog , I luckily had my 30 cal edgun on my table next to sliding door , It was early fall and my slider was open when I walked out I sayw a yote sneaking up on him to eat him , I grabbed gun and when I shot him he fell 5 feet from his dog , So my point is sometimes you have to take a shot or it can kill pets , I have neighbors who raise chickens and other livestock so they attracted to be here , my yard has a small pond and I live where a trout stream is and woods , the area is also farm land and alot of farms being built on like parents die and kids sell to devolopers so this pushes coyotes to run now in packs and over populate , The other thing is diease I have taken 3 yotes which were suffering with mange or rabies nasty the fur rots off with oozing open wounds athey need to be taken out , I would also say if I see yotes not bothering anything like just living their life not causing damage I let them be

here is ammo i use and some pics View attachment 281048

LOU

View attachment 281042View attachment 281043View attachment 281044View attachment 281045View attachment 281046View attachment 281047
230 fpe .257 condor - that’s cooking! Are you using a stock delrin breech slide or something more durable?

Reactions: packy28
HI MY breech is flutted tyoe of delron mtateral not the stock one , The valve is a special hi power valve I had a few styles made , they are also angled I hated the feel of a condor with a long barrel felt like a broom stick lol so after trying different bottle clamps and even angled fittings , I ended up having a angle valve made and put a lucifer 1000cc short tank now it feels more like a rifle

here is breech with 1000cc tank other pic is with a 500 cc tank again .. I really dont use it much as it isnt a back yard gun for where I live and with laws in my state cant hunt with anything over .22 pair rifle cal on state land but can be used for like targets or steel
condor.jpg
condor.jpg

Reactions: Ezana4CE and MrP
Our coyote killer. No idea how many FPE he makes but it's considerable LOL. Don't have to kill them because they simply don't come around. Have seen one in the last 3 years since he was more or less full grown. Mangy looking thing out by the neighbor's chickens. It's about 500 yards to that barn and the yote was still full tilt boogie at that point. Haven't seen one within 0.5 mile since. Sorry, couldn't resist. Back to your regularly scheduled program!

Lord of the Manor by Critter, on Flickr

Reactions: AZGman