Coyote Hunter Recommendations

If your coyotes are as smart as the ones around here they won’t stand still for a second. A semi auto is mandatory and a clear shot at 100 yards is not going to happen. More like 25-50 yards. Leshiy 2 .30 with at least a 350mm barrel set a 160+ BAR. Reflex scope of your choice.

Really think an L2 .30 has enough wack? I mean, this is a silly question for me to ask because FPE wise yes and I just answered my I own question but I really think that a 25-50 yard shot on a smart animal isn't all that common? I came here because I too am researching coyote options and air is a big thing because suppression is key for what I have been asked to do and the potential permission I may be granted. My search started with an AF .257 or higher shooting a 75 - 90 or higher HP ( I even looked into .457/.510 both seem reasonable for the given task and both can be suppressed ). I have been pesting on farms for not a long time, not a long time at all but both farms I have been at have been extremely impressed with what I've done on smaller game (woodchuck and smaller) with these tools.
I was honestly thinking about just rolling with the .457/.510 AF as from where I've scouted, and where I have seen the yotes I could set up around 80-110 yards on them super easy, there is a brook runs through the middle of the fields and they do not cross it, I have watched them, my buddy who owns the farm has footage of it, even in the winter for whatever reason they don't cross it and to be able to setup on the hill looking down at that brook would make this easy work

Really think an L2 .30 has enough wack? I mean, this is a silly question for me to ask because FPE wise yes and I just answered my I own question but I really think that a 25-50 yard shot on a smart animal isn't all that common? I came here because I too am researching coyote options and air is a big thing because suppression is key for what I have been asked to do and the potential permission I may be granted. My search started with an AF .257 or higher shooting a 75 - 90 or higher HP ( I even looked into .457/.510 both seem reasonable for the given task and both can be suppressed ). I have been pesting on farms for not a long time, not a long time at all but both farms I have been at have been extremely impressed with what I've done on smaller game (woodchuck and smaller) with these tools.
I was honestly thinking about just rolling with the .457/.510 AF as from where I've scouted, and where I have seen the yotes I could set up around 80-110 yards on them super easy, there is a brook runs through the middle of the fields and they do not cross it, I have watched them, my buddy who owns the farm has footage of it, even in the winter for whatever reason they don't cross it and to be able to setup on the hill looking down at that brook would make this easy work
Why not use a center fire? At lest you knock it down even with a marginal hit.
I was asked to take out a coyote that was hanging out harassing some longhorn cows with calves. I told the ranch owner that I would be taking care of "Wiley" with my Ackley improved 30-06. 1 shot in the head at 125 yards did the job.
Chose the right tool for the job. Animal died instantly.

Reactions: stoutblock
Thanks for your input. I will take your recommendations under advisement. I was considering my first PCP rifle but I wanted one that I can take a coyote down with as well as use in my back yard for target practice. I was considering the LCS sk19. But the most you can get out of it is 70 ft lbs at full power. Probably not enough for a 100 yd kill. I was thinking .25 cal too. For backyard friendly. Sounds like I should stick to a powder burner for yotes. Thanks for your input. It is always good to draw upon the experience of this forum.
Also, consider that the max FPE of 70 ft lbs is going to be considerably less than that at 100 yards

Why not use a center fire? At lest you knock it down even with a marginal hit.
I was asked to take out a coyote that was hanging out harassing some longhorn cows with calves. I told the ranch owner that I would be taking care of "Wiley" with my Ackley improved 30-06. 1 shot in the head at 125 yards did the job.
Chose the right tool for the job. Animal died instantly.
I dont own powder burners, not because I can't just because I dont. A well placed proper sized slug to the shoulder would be a clean dispatch on a coyote at 100 yards.
Also, consider that the max FPE of 70 ft lbs is going to be considerably less than that at 100 yards
I think thats what he stated he WAS considering it but isn't anymore , also shooting slugs we are finding retained energy is far more significant than we thought with airguns.

Reactions: jmohme
I dont own powder burners, not because I can't just because I dont. A well placed proper sized slug to the shoulder would be a clean dispatch on a coyote at 100 yards.

I think thats what he stated he WAS considering it but isn't anymore , also shooting slugs we are finding retained energy is far more significant than we thought with airguns.
Key phase, "we'll placed shot."
I would suggest getting a call, setting up, and call them in.
I would shoot for a lung shot, put a hole in the lungs, and they'll die, may not find them but they will die.
Good hunting!

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
If I was to hunt Coyote at long distance I would definitely opt for a .45 or .50 and go for the Heart/lung shot.

Coyotes are farely soft so I would not go for a heavy bullet to up FPE but I would stay with a farely light one to get velocity,.......Bigger caliber bigger hole, no replacement for displacement

My 'Yote gun setup is a stock .357 Benjamin Bulldog w/ ATN X-SIght Pro 4x. I usually use 145gr Nosler's eXtremes Ballistic tip slugs. I have used JSB Diabolo 81,02gr as well as FX 81gr pellets. I would keep it maybe 60 yds tops with that. Any of those will punch through the shoulder blade just fine.

103_0405.JPG

• Love
Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
My 'Yote gun setup is a stock .357 Benjamin Bulldog w/ ATN X-SIght Pro 4x. I usually use 145gr Nosler's eXtremes Ballistic tip slugs. I have used JSB Diabolo 81,02gr as well as FX 81gr pellets. I would keep it maybe 60 yds tops with that. Any of those will punch through the shoulder blade just fine.

View attachment 277251
Yup, those expensive Nosler rounds are really good. I'd still suggest the Pitbull extended air tube with regulator, you'll get about 15 shots regulated at stock power. At a little above stock power I get 10-12 shots.

Not a quiet gun though you need a big back yard for this, I may install my Pitbull moderator and see how well it works.

Yup, those expensive Nosler rounds are really good. I'd still suggest the Pitbull extended air tube with regulator, you'll get about 15 shots regulated at stock power. At a little above stock power I get 10-12 shots.

Not a quiet gun though you need a big back yard for this, I may install my Pitbull moderator and see how well it works.
I was considering another one to mod. Then Benjamin came out with the .457. It took me a bit to remove the Center Point scope it came with even after the ATN arrived. If it's good don't mess with it. ATN proved strong, but now I don't know what to do. So many new options.

View attachment 277251

Dude, that thing is SWEET!

I must admit I have held off taking a shot with the L2 more often than when I used a rim fire. This is mostly because my lead instincts are a bit off with the slower rounds and I have yet to master the trigger on the L2. However, except for one exception, everything I have hit was a clean kill. The exception being a quick second shot was needed. Yes, I will admit I have missed more than a few shots. I did take one shot through some thicket that hit the target just fine so I do think the .30 has some advantage here? Given time, I think the L2 shooting .30 Hades with the 350 barrel at just under 900fps will be as effective as my 10/22 shooting stingers…
@stoutblock I can’t seem to wrap my head around the statement in bold type. Which type of animal did you shoot at through a thicket and from what distance? And with which type of projectile?

To address the OP’s question about a yote hunting with airguns, it takes skill and good planning IMO. I think .30 and up are good calibers, but I’d want to be within 50 yards ideally. Domed pellets will work with good shot placement. Some members prefer Polymags, others JSB Hades. If you must take a long shot then I’d consider shooting slugs. A .357/.457 Texan or a modified .357 Benjamin Bulldog would put a hurtin’ on a yote. But I’ve read of members using Evols, Uragans, and other airguns to do the job. The main thing is getting them to sit still long enough to take a lethal shot. If you have bait, I think you would have a better chance. They move fast and unless they are young or have never been hunted they tend to be very wary. They will probably see you before you see them and if they don’t see you they will move downwind to pick up your scent.

I’ve seen videos of air gunners shooting them with .25 calibers and up. @Wingman115 and @Max115 have taken coyotes on video with .25 caliber air rifles. @jwrabbit123 has taken a coyote with a .22 (I believe he used an Evol). These members are not the average shooters. I also think @davidsng’s coyote hunting videos are worth watching. He has videos that demonstrate the capabilities of hunting coyotes with airguns. Also @Emu, @wyshadow, @Max115, @AncientSword among others are people you can talk to or review their threads to see how they achieved success hunting coyotes with airguns. @Max115 has videos and a couple of threads discussing his setup and issues he encountered. In my eyes these are the AGN members to ask about hunting coyotes with airguns. There are others, but their names elude me at the moment. I mentioned these members and their exploits to say that there are many possibilities, but what is probable is that coyotes won’t come too close if they detect you and they are likely to be skittish while in range. I base what I’m saying off of what I’ve learned from other airgunners and my experience watching coyotes, working around them, living in areas where they live, observing them in person and on video, as well as hunting them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wingman115