Coyote Hunter Recommendations

I am looking for a PCP rifle and caliber and pellet recommendation for a coyote hunt? What does the forum recommend? I am looking for quality, 100 yd kill capability and occasionally back yard friendly.

Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 11.13.06 AM.png

Please advise.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not recommend 100 yard kill on a coyote with a pellet gun. .17 HMR, .223, .243, 22-250 would be better choices

@Ptalar Really consider shortening your distance or changing tools. Look up some airgun coyote hunting threads. There are several on Airgun Nation. Learn from members who have done it. The man in the photo holding a dead coyote and an airgun advising you to change your tools is a person you may want to listen to. The fact that you’re asking about a backyard friendly air rifle capable of 100 yard kill shot on a coyote suggests that you will benefit from further research on the subject matter. Here’s a search result with some links to help you get started https://www.airgunnation.com/find/

I saw some out my back door this morning. Planning on sitting out with a call tonight.

I've got my .22 huben k1, shooting 25gr RDM at 940fps, hitting a 2" gong at 100yards 8/10 times. I think I'm set. I wish felt safe leaving this gun loaded by the back door, but I won't just on the small chance it flubbers and wants to take a dump in my living room...

Reactions: phillip
Thanks for your input. I will take your recommendations under advisement. I was considering my first PCP rifle but I wanted one that I can take a coyote down with as well as use in my back yard for target practice. I was considering the LCS sk19. But the most you can get out of it is 70 ft lbs at full power. Probably not enough for a 100 yd kill. I was thinking .25 cal too. For backyard friendly. Sounds like I should stick to a powder burner for yotes. Thanks for your input. It is always good to draw upon the experience of this forum.

Calling thick areas, I have killed many with the 22 WMR.. But @ 100 yrds I would opt for some of the rnds thats been mentioned already (except the 17's are not suitable IMO) the 22 Hornet & K Hornet are both are great little cartridges as well. The K hornet will do much more than 100yrds & is exceptionally more accurate than the standard! but still, bullet selection & placement is very important when hunting coyote with any small bore rifle. If I used my Condor ss 25 with 82 ftlbs it would be limiting at max 50yrd headshot only! not often will that chance arise.

The ethics of hunting is always a matter of discussion and disagreement, and ultimately a personal decision. Coyotes have been killed with air rifles, as deer have been killed with a .22 RF, but that doesn't necessarily make either a good choice. There are some good rifle recommendations mentioned above, both air gun and firearm. I believe if one is to use an air rifle for coyotes, a HP .30 caliber and a range of 50 yards would be my personal limits. 

The ethics of hunting is always a matter of discussion and disagreement, and ultimately a personal decision. Coyotes have been killed with air rifles, as deer have been killed with a .22 RF, but that doesn't necessarily make either a good choice. There are some good rifle recommendations mentioned above, both air gun and firearm. I believe if one is to use an air rifle for coyotes, a HP .30 caliber and a range of 50 yards would be my personal limits.

Agree !

Reactions: Sasquatchlives