N/A Coyote gun choices?

drsquall

Jul 22, 2022
OK
Hello,
I am wanting a big bore for coyote hunting during the day. These will be called coyotes and I might try some night hunting as well. I've always hunted with powder burners and I'm wanting to do the Air Rifle now. Now I don't want a high fill gun pressure wise like 4500 psi. I would prefer around 3000. I want to shoot slugs and I want it pretty flat shooting. Most of my called coyotes are killed at 100 to 125 yards or less. To be honest I mostly kill them with a shotgun so 50 yards in usually. I don't need a high shot count 3 to 6 would be fine before I have to fill up. I was looking at a Texan in 30 CAL or 257 or a bulldog in 357. My biggest bother with the Texan is how long it is. I'm open to any suggestions and want to hear what you guys have to say who have done this on a regular basis. I have tanks to fill gun. I honestly don't want anything bigger than a 357. We can't use them for deer in OK so don't need bigger.

Thanks
Jon

Reactions: Bmackinc
I mean, budget really matters here.

If you need cheap, AEA big bores will absolutely get the job done, and they're available all the way up to 'stupid' power levels.

If you have $, and appreciate nice stuff - go buy the new Leshiy in 9mm, a nice FX setup of your choice, an Uragan 2, or some other similar high end rifle - they won't disappoint you! If you're sure you need power, and want slam, the .30 Vulcan is a real hitter fro what I've been told.

Honestly, doing what you're doing, you don't really need a big powerful gun so much as a really accurate gun, were it me, I'd probably use my Uragan 2 .22 cal. At 40 ft lbs of energy it has more than enough power, you can literally hit them in the eyeball reliably at 50 yards all day long - and it's pretty darn silent - you just hear hammer slap and plenum ping next to your ear.

Last edited:
I mean, budget really matters here.

If you need cheap, AEA big bores will absolutely get the job done, and they're available all the way up to 'stupid' power levels.

If you have $, and appreciate nice stuff - go buy the new Leshiy in 9mm, a nice FX setup of your choice, an Uragan 2, or some other similar high end rifle - they won't disappoint you!

Honestly, doing what you're doing, you don't really need a big powerful gun so much as a really accurate gun, were it me, I'd probably use my Uragan 2 .22 cal. At 40 ft lbs of energy it has more than enough power, you can literally hit them in the eyeball reliably at 50 yards all day long - and it's pretty darn silent - you just hear hammer slap and plenum ping next to your ear.
Budget wise about 1800max on rifle. I have plenty of scopes. Head shots are great but I want enough power to do lungs shots out to 100yds or so. Called in coyotes don't always present perfect shot opportunity so I need some more power just in case. I average about 50 coyotes a year calling from Nov to Feb. last year was not as good only 38 but my average shot distance was 72yds.

Thanks
Jon

Budget wise about 1800max on rifle. I have plenty of scopes. Head shots are great but I want enough power to do lungs shots out to 100yds or so. Called in coyotes don't always present perfect shot opportunity so I need some more power just in case. I average about 50 coyotes a year calling from Nov to Feb. last year was not as good only 38 but my average shot distance was 72yds.

Thanks
Jon
This FX for $1700 in .30 will do what you're asking for. And damn well at that. With style.

https://www.airgunnation.com/thread...w-price-lowered-took-out-the-pellets.1289312/

Reactions: drsquall
One thing to keep in mind, in terms of 'power' here is that a .22 with a fast and heavy slug will tend to out penetrate a .30 pellet that has a higher FPE. It'll also be more accurate and flatter shooting, at least generally speaking. That Vulcan .30 set up for slugs would be excellent as well, but I don't know if you can find a good slug .30 setup for the budget you have. .22 slug setup is probably within reason though.

One thing to keep in mind, in terms of 'power' here is that a .22 with a fast and heavy slug will tend to out penetrate a .30 pellet that has a higher FPE. It'll also be more accurate and flatter shooting, at least generally speaking. That Vulcan .30 set up for slugs would be excellent as well, but I don't know if you can find a good slug .30 setup for the budget you have. .22 slug setup is probably within reason though.
Plenty of slug setups for much less than 1800.

Hello,
I am wanting a big bore for coyote hunting during the day. These will be called coyotes and I might try some night hunting as well. I've always hunted with powder burners and I'm wanting to do the Air Rifle now. Now I don't want a high fill gun pressure wise like 4500 psi. I would prefer around 3000. I want to shoot slugs and I want it pretty flat shooting. Most of my called coyotes are killed at 100 to 125 yards or less. To be honest I mostly kill them with a shotgun so 50 yards in usually. I don't need a high shot count 3 to 6 would be fine before I have to fill up. I was looking at a Texan in 30 CAL or 257 or a bulldog in 357. My biggest bother with the Texan is how long it is. I'm open to any suggestions and want to hear what you guys have to say who have done this on a regular basis. I have tanks to fill gun. I honestly don't want anything bigger than a 357. We can't use them for deer in OK so don't need bigger.

Thanks
Jon
a bulldog is a good choice. if you will be hand pumping. its low volume tank and only 3000 psi 9 good shots makes it a good choice. It will also get 2 in. groups at 50 yards with arrows, and 1 in. and less at 50 yds. with slugs and jsb I've had mine for years never had an issue. I would stay away from aea.

Plenty of slug setups for much less than 1800.
I should have added the word reliable. :)

I've not been paying close attention for a while, but last I'd read up on it, it seemed like folks were having all kinds of 'fun' trying to get lower cost .30 slug setups to work well and deliver the goods.

I have had a few Challenger Pros, a couple bulldogs, atamans, FX and plenty of lower end as well. The challenger pros and bulldogs are ugly but effective, I lean more to the challenger, at 4kpsi fill, plenty of shots and consistent. A solid .25 will doth job as well. 80-100fpe will do just fine out to 100yds for GOOD body shots. Aea .30 will do 120fpe all day and close to the same with .25. A FX Maverick can have close to the same power with a huge magazine in comparison, but at twice the cost and no tweaking, just finding the right tune for said slug.

Ok great I got options. I definitely want to shoot slugs if I can. I don't hand pump but have 2 4500psi tanks to fill from. I'm open to anything but my one caveat is that I don't mind tuning to get the setup the way I want it but I don't want to worry about POI shifts and constantly having to tinker with gun. I want to just grab it and go.

Thanks
Jon

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
a bulldog is a good choice. if you will be hand pumping. its low volume tank and only 3000 psi 9 good shots makes it a good choice. It will also get 2 in. groups at 50 yards with arrows, and 1 in. and less at 50 yds. with slugs and jsb I've had mine for years never had an issue. I would stay away from aea.
Agreed.

I have had a few Challenger Pros, a couple bulldogs, atamans, FX and plenty of lower end as well. The challenger pros and bulldogs are ugly but effective, I lean more to the challenger, at 4kpsi fill, plenty of shots and consistent. A solid .25 will doth job as well. 80-100fpe will do just fine out to 100yds for GOOD body shots. Aea .30 will do 120fpe all day and close to the same with .25. A FX Maverick can have close to the same power with a huge magazine in comparison, but at twice the cost and no tweaking, just finding the right tune for said slug.
The maverick interests me for a hunting gun. I have no interest in the impact m3 but Maverick yes.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore