• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A Coyote gun choices?

Hello,
I am wanting a big bore for coyote hunting during the day. These will be called coyotes and I might try some night hunting as well. I've always hunted with powder burners and I'm wanting to do the Air Rifle now. Now I don't want a high fill gun pressure wise like 4500 psi. I would prefer around 3000. I want to shoot slugs and I want it pretty flat shooting. Most of my called coyotes are killed at 100 to 125 yards or less. To be honest I mostly kill them with a shotgun so 50 yards in usually. I don't need a high shot count 3 to 6 would be fine before I have to fill up. I was looking at a Texan in 30 CAL or 257 or a bulldog in 357. My biggest bother with the Texan is how long it is. I'm open to any suggestions and want to hear what you guys have to say who have done this on a regular basis. I have tanks to fill gun. I honestly don't want anything bigger than a 357. We can't use them for deer in OK so don't need bigger.

Thanks
Jon
The western rattler 357 is supposed to b shizz,look that joker up..

Managed to get a spot on the range today with my aea max 30 cal. Needs a fair holdover at 100 yards. Although the bottle pressure was dwindling at that point in the day.

At 50 yards during mag 1 and 2 this thing shoots lights out with the jsb 44.75

Not sure if the circa 90lb at the muzzle would be enough for a coyote approaching 100 yards but at 50-75 yards you can pick which hair you wanna hit.

Really enjoying this rig so far.

20230806_080952.jpg

I wouldn't suggest less than a 30cal. My personal choices for easy to get would be:
Bulldog 357 (stock)
Bulldog 357 magnum (stock)
Bulldog 457 (stock)
Pitbull regulated Bulldog 357 (old not magnum) with mild tuning so you can get 10 regulated shots from 4500psi fill

I don't have experience with the Taurus mods, so no advice there.

Why the 357? Look at all the different ammo you can cast, 88grain pellets, 84 grain hollow point, up to about 165 grain bullets. Lee molds are cheap and good, sizing dies cheap, and simple hand held press works. A little lube or powder coat and you are good to go. The 457 might be a little harder for ammo, I only list it because it's a Benjamin in a family I know, it will work out of the box.

Mine is a Pitbull regulated with mild port work, heavy spring, steel charging handle and the Pitbull extended air tube at 4500 psi. I've adjusted it to about 180 foot pounds with Lee round nose cast bullets that drop at 135 grains pure lead (125 grains firearm alloy), just about a 30fpe increase over stock, but this also gives about 210fpe with a Lyman flat point in 155 grains or the 125 grains hollow point back down to that 180fpe (9mm Devastator). All are powder coated to prevent leading in the barrel. I also have a NOE mold for 88gr flat nose to about 84gr hollow point. I haven't worked with these much, but they were going about 120fpe the last time I shot them (before regulator), they should be a pretty fast and flat round for 50 yards. My rifle really likes those Lyman round nose bullets!

You can make the old Bulldog/Pitbull up to the new Magnum power levels, both give you only a few shots per fill. I'm not sure that this 357 platform is really a good choice for 300+ fpe and only 3-4 shots per fill. A little over 200 fpe and 10 shots per fill seems better to me. After that, I'm working on getting my .510 Hammer working the way I think it should. Up to 700 fpe but only 3 regulated shots per fill.

For the cost, find the original Bulldog for around $500 and start there. Tinker a little, figure how to cast your own ammo, etc. I think for coyote it will be enough for an ethical 50 yard kill, maybe 100 yard if you are a better shot than I am. But I worry about energy bleed over distance which is something I need to try and measure in the future.