• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Coyote 3 - a surprise encounter

Max115

Jul 15, 2018
BC, Canada
I was doing my usual starling/dove pestings at one of my permission this afternoon and this happened.

I am very excited and I want to share what transpired this afternoon so I wrote the following.

Dec.6, 2020

Coyote#3 - A Surprise Encounter

I showed up at farm z, one of our permissions, around 2:30 pm to do some starling/dove shooting. The sun decided to peek out in the afternoon after the morning rain.

I shot two birds with my Impact right away and I thought to myself "Today is another good day."

I set up my target box at 35 yards and decided to test and check my zeros with my night vision setup I called "The HW100 Terminator Rat Gun." I have recently purchased a PARD 008 LRF and I have paired it with my HW100 .22. It had its first rat session this past week and it was incredible where I managed to tag 24 and collected 21 big rats at our new permission. (this video will be launched this coming week)

Timing is everything.

While I was reloading the 14 shots magazine of my HW100, a young coyote walked in the open about 25 yards away from me. That was the allusive coyote that we have been hunting for over a couple of months! It was a young pup that was not healthy from the footages reviewed in the trail-cams we set up before.

We (coyote and I) were both startled and it turned quickly and ran back into the direction where he came. I sprung off my chair, grabbed my Impact and the new Vortex 1300 range finder. I quickly turned on the GoPro and carefully looked down the pathway and saw it disappeared around the corner, 50 yards away.

I anticipated that it would come back from the other side to return to the hay barn area where it sleeps at night. So I try to cut him off and ran to the concrete barrier with feet that were, surprisingly, on high gear. I knelt down and braced against the concrete wall with my Impact ready to engage. My heart is now pumping fast and I could hear my heartbeat drumming through my chest. I reminded myself to keep calm and not to spoil this rare opportunity to tag this coyote in broad daylight.

My gun is now cocked and trigger finger is ready to engage. I continue to breath slowly…

My elevation turret was dialled at 50 yards and my eyes were focused and rapidly scanning the cross path which I had hoped it would pass thru. I am ready. 

It showed up in my line of sight but it didn't stop nor go into the open barn. Instead it went pass the barn to the backside. I waited till it passed and I leapt to my feet and ran back towards my truck which was parked beside some hay bales. I quickly placed my gun on top of one the bales with the bipod securely anchored down. I am ready to snipe him off when and if it comes to view. I pre-ranged a spot on the pathway hoping it would take. It was 50 yards. I now scanned the area with my eyes darting back and forth. There were obstacle in the laneway and I couldn’t see what were behind, but I was hopeful that it would show itself.

A few seconds passed which felt like an eternity. Nothing. I paused and wondered, "Damn, where did it go?"

Just my luck, I saw it in the background at the bottom of the mount where the farmer had piled the cow feed covered with black plastic bags anchored down with used tires. 

I quickly ranged him again and he was at 67 yards. I dialled my turret up to my mark and follow him thru the scope view. It was walking slowly up the slippery plastic cover mount, and he made the biggest mistake of its life. He stopped and looked into my direction. With the sun directly behind me, he wasn't able to see me clearly or the 23gr slug with a muzzle energy of 45 ft.lb that was ripping thru the air at a blazing speed of 950fps. A loud pop was heard.

It took me less than 3 seconds from placing the crosshair on its forehead and squeezing the trigger. That was the fastest kill shot I ever did. It connected perfectly with the slug piercing thru its skull, into the frontal lobe, killing him instantly. Its legs buckled underneath him and he tumbled and rolled down the slippery slope into the ditch. I ran quickly to make sure it was down. A quick 50 yards dash revealed a dead coyote submersing in a pool of dirty water collected from the rain. It twitched a few times with its head under the water and then lay there motionless until gravity took over and its lifeless body sunk beneath the 3-foot deep water hole.

I called the farmer to inform him the great news and he replied with a joyful tune in his voice. He was happy that I got rid of the problem and that I have avenged for the four barn cats whom I called my “starlings retrievers”. He told me to wait for his return so he could fish out the coyote and put it 6 feet under.

Although I had a mixed feeling after seeing the lifeless body of this young pup which was sick, I had to remind myself that this was a pest and it had to be removed sooner or later. Too bad it wasn’t sooner as the barn cats would still be around to clean up after me.

This was the best shot or hunt I have ever done so far. I was just lucky to be there at the right time and place.

My job was done. (video Pesting#63 will be launched soon)

My very first kill with my Texan .457 Carbine CF was a coyote. I had actually gone down into the river bottom in search of hogs. Stalking into the wind, I was a little surprised to see a young coyote out in broad daylight. He was chasing some small animal at the base of a tree at about 80 yards. I had only practiced up to 50 while zeroing my scope, so at that time I had no idea what the drop would be at 80. But not wanting to let a coyote go, I guesstimated and took a shot. I had overestimated the drop and overshot by a couple inches, and the slug went into the tree just above his head. I still can't believe what he did next. After freaking out for a minute, and running in five different directions, he settle down and started trotting away from the scene - straight at me! I took a kneeling stance, rested my elbow on my knee, and picked a tree about 35 yards away where the trail the coyote was on passed a tree and turned right for me. As soon as he rounded that tree, I put a 300 grain Mr Hollowpoint slug right in the middle of his chest. The impact not only stopped him dead, it flipped him over backwards. He managed to scramble up, but only made it about 15 yards after that. It was a great first hunt with the Texan, and the only coyote I have ever gotten.

@airgunBill. Thanks, I was too excited and couldn't wait to share my story, lol. Such an incredible fluke to be at the right place at the right time.

@jking. Thank you. Luckily my hunch was correct and I was quick to the trigger. I knew if I didn't do it fast, it would disappear again. We have been trying to get this guy for over a month and a half since they were spotted (not sure what happened to the other one). We tried hunting them at night (pointless for me at the time as I didn't have my NV) and it (they) have been very allusive. This was a surprise encounter and I made the best of it. Good thing I had a lot of practice shooting starlings at those distances with my Impact, so I was confident to get the job done. If I missed it would be 100% my fault and not the equipment.

Thanks for the comments and the Coyote 3 video is coming up after the release of my first rat video on this Thursday.