• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

couple of ? about the Yong Heng

I am tired of pumping, so after many hours of research, have decided on a Yong Heng.(want a cheap compressor) The waterless compressors are tempting, but after watching rebuild videos, the Yong Heng looks easier to work on. Question 1) should I go ahead and buy the reseal kit, along with maybe new piston and cylinder so I have them when the time comes?(parts are cheap enough) 2) water separator, should I get a (hopefully) good quality one like the Nuvair or the one from AOA over the cheapies from Amazon? Have been reading some about safety issues with the cheap ones, I am sure only 1 out of 100 thousand may have problems, but I am unlucky enough to have one let loose on me! I am sure the one from Joe B. is very good, but I don't want to pay 400 bucks for one. Are there any other parts I should have on hand? Maybe order a good pressure guage? All advise is welcome, thanks!!

I agree with Dizzums, baby it. Get the larger volume water pump, fan upgrade, good oil, water wetter and a good set of filters. Yup, you'll spend a bit on those, but well worth it. Mine is still going strong after a couple years now. Nothing replaced and I regularly use it for more than 15 minute stretches. I keep it under 140 degrees and drain the low pressure side a couple times on long runs. I change the oil only seldomly as I ran the first few changes thru a coffee filter and saw no metal particles and very little darkening of the fluid.

I like the little Yong Heng. But then I like to fuss over things so perhaps that is why....well, that and the fact I am fairly cheap about such things. It's a great little compressor for the money. Heck, I spent almost as much on a good hand pump before I bought the Yong Heng (wanna buy a hand pump?).

Chris

Boogermeister,

Pretty good information offered so far by guys who know of what they speak. I suspect, Biohazardman, a member I consider to be our resident expert on Yong Hengs, will most likely post the latest version of his, "Yong Heng Fact Sheet." If he doesn't you can find it by searching "Yong Heng" in the AGN SEARCH section. Read this fact sheet carefully, a better guide, you'll never find. Best of Luck,

WM

Yes I read Biohazard's fact sheet, it's a good read. Yes, I will use quality oil and a good filter. So you guys think these are reliable enough to skip the spare parts and just order them if I need them? I guess they have come a long way since they first appeared on the scene. I too don't mind tinkering with things like this so fixing a worn out one does not bother me. I like the idea of getting another for a spare, then fixing the broken one while still having air available. What worries me about ordering one of these are the sellers that advertise Yong Heng, but then ship you a clone. It seems a lot of that happens. Anyway thanks for all the help so far, you guys are great!

Bought mine from best_homepro on eBay in June for $272,50 (no tax, free ship) listed as Item ID# 224288811755. Is real Yong Heng. Is Set Pressure model, but, per Biohazardman's fact sheet, there might be another, less expensive model, he now recommends. No spare parts for me but you can see my humid Florida garage requires $125. water separator, in addition to gold filter. (Gold filter has built-in burst disc.) I followed Bio's suggestion for oil, HUSKY brand synthetic blend air compressor oil for hour break-in, full synthetic HUSKY air compressor oil after that.
IMG_20211120_114013.1639450986.jpg

The compressors come with an assortment of o-rings and seals that are the most commonly used. So you should not need a reseal kit anytime soon.

You should check the tightness of all of the fittings and lines when you get it. That will save you from having to replace any seals right away.

The early teething problems with the pistons was taken care of years back so, they are very seldom a problem these days.

I have needed a couple of these ferrules over the past three years as they sometimes do not survive after you have to remove the high pressure stainless line.

There are other sizes on the other lines but this is the only one I have had fail on me.

6mm ferrules

https://www.belmetric.com/6mm-outer-hosebrdiameter-c-1041_1131_1143/

the coalescing water separator on the left in Worriedman's pic is the most effective. It removes a heck of a lot of water.

I use that followed by a smaller black cotton filter.

I used to use a big gold filter but after getting the coalescing filter I realized those cotton filters are no where as effective.

I have had my unit a few years and only had to replace the high pressure piston rings once, were a bitch to change as I did not know the proper technique.

So much so I over stretched them and now they seal even better lol, fills much quicker now but at slightly higher temps.

I ordered a complete piston assembly as they are not expensive.

Luckily I did not have to change any ferrules when I took down the stainless lines.

I use corena s2 p150 lube, a true high pressure comp. oil. I also use a coalescing oil/water seperator with drain spout ($120 give or take on ebay). Humidity will dictate if you need this as the nice yong hengs have a small version of this included already. 

I don't exceed 15min run time or 50c temp.

Don't shut off or start under load. 

I'd recommend having a spare piston and gasket kit on hand just in case.