• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Cost to hydro your tank

When I got a one hour scba used from e-bay I took it to a guy in Rancho Cordova who hydro tested lots of different cylinders. The tank came with the valve unscrewed and had two years left on hydro. I showed a little interest in the process and he did a visual inspect. on tank right there. Talked me out of getting a new hydro and put a new o-ring on valve and torqued it. He had a large enough tank to do 6 or eight big cylinders at a time. I offered him 20 bucks but had to force him to take it. I took a bunch of Pics of his set up. We discussed the dangers of using out of date tanks. Corrosion of aluminum liner being one hidden danger. Outside shell damage is obvious. Mine had a few minor chips in gel coat. He advised a dab of epoxy on those and I had no problem getting it filled. Cost at that first time was 8 bucks to fill at a dive shop. Now it is out of date and I am looking at compressor options.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I ask because I've been looking at tanks and Pyramid Air is advertising extended life tanks for $400 that have to be recertified every 5 years and I spoke to the company that does the recertification in Denver and the cost is $400+/-. (Plus shipping.) PAir says the cost to recertify is about the same as a hydro and that didn't sound right to me. I was thinking maybe $50 to hydro, so I wasn't too far off. So, If you see these tanks, just know that the real cost at 5 years is another $400+ unless you are going to fill it with your own (or a buddies) compressor.

Cheers from Tulsa, OK,