• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Cost to get tank tested and filled

Well, we couldn't be any further apart geographically in the CONUS.
However, taking my tank to a local dive shop in San Diego, CA, it cost me $35 to have my Great White tank tested. I believe that they have to ship it to Los Angeles, but they go there every Tuesday, so no real big charge there. I pick it up in the following Tuesday. Easy peasey!
Hope this helps.

mike

See if you have a supply place near you for fire equipment. Back in 2015 when I got my 3 used scba 45 minute tanks from a fireman, one was still on current inspection(barely), one had a end of life coming up shortly and was out of cert by a few weeks, and one was just a couple weeks out of end of life. I paid less than 50 for all 3, he threw in the out of date one for free and took me to the fire station and filled the one still in cert, he wouldn't fill the other 2 as it could mean his job if it ever got out. Checking around, I found a commercial fire supply place that did hydro not 10 miles from me and took them there, the fireman I bought them from suggested looking for one instead of a scuba place. The two that had not reached end of life cost 25 dollars for both, not each, to get a new 5 year certificate, where all the scuba places wanted much more than that for each. Don't know if that is normal, or just the one place I happened to have near me. Worth checking out. Talking to the person that did the hydro's, he asked what I was doing with them and if I had the end of life one with me, and i did. Told him about using it for PCP's and he said to bring the end of life one in and leave it. Being past service life, it cannot be recertified, but he hydro'd it without certifying it and told me it was fine when I picked them up a week later, didn't charge me for that. I have no idea on fill prices, I have a compressor.

BTW, he was probably being extra nice to me since we talked for over an hour about our firearm collections, and made plans to get together to check out a couple of each other's special ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: jlnel
Do you already have your tank? If you plan on shooting quite a bit, refilling at a shop is not fun, plus the cost adds up fast. At my rate of fire, I would have to drive to the shop every other day (90 miles round trip) to get my tanks filled at $12 / tank filled to only 3600 PSI. Just in the last 6 months, counting gas and the fee to refill, by filling my own tanks I have saved almost $1500 which is $1000, more than the cost for for my Yong Heng compressor and my 88 cubic foot tank.

Of course if you have a shop nearby your cost would go down substantially, but the annoyance factor would remain the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: jlnel
Do you already have your tank? If you plan on shooting quite a bit, refilling at a shop is not fun, plus the cost adds up fast. At my rate of fire, I would have to drive to the shop every other day (90 miles round trip) to get my tanks filled at $12 / tank filled to only 3600 PSI. Just in the last 6 months, counting gas and the fee to refill, by filling my own tanks I have saved almost $1500 which is $1000, more than the cost for for my Yong Heng compressor and my 88 cubic foot tank.

Of course if you have a shop nearby your cost would go down substantially, but the annoyance factor would remain the same.
There are a few shops around here that I'll stop in and inquire. I'd like to get a small compressor that could fill the 80cuft tanks, just don't know what to look for and price would be a factor..

How long does it take the Yong
Heng to fill your tank?

How long does it take the Yong
Heng to fill your tank?

From totally empty to 4400 PSI I think it too me about 2 1/2 hours of actual run time to fill an 88 cubic foot tank. I could be off on that time because I got pretty tired of timing it. I had lots of ice in the "bucket" and never let the cylinder head get too hot. I forgot to write down the fill time from 2100 psi to 4400, but will do so the next time I fill it.

See if you have a supply place near you for fire equipment. Back in 2015 when I got my 3 used scba 45 minute tanks from a fireman, one was still on current inspection(barely), one had a end of life coming up shortly and was out of cert by a few weeks, and one was just a couple weeks out of end of life. I paid less than 50 for all 3, he threw in the out of date one for free and took me to the fire station and filled the one still in cert, he wouldn't fill the other 2 as it could mean his job if it ever got out. Checking around, I found a commercial fire supply place that did hydro not 10 miles from me and took them there, the fireman I bought them from suggested looking for one instead of a scuba place. The two that had not reached end of life cost 25 dollars for both, not each, to get a new 5 year certificate, where all the scuba places wanted much more than that for each. Don't know if that is normal, or just the one place I happened to have near me. Worth checking out. Talking to the person that did the hydro's, he asked what I was doing with them and if I had the end of life one with me, and i did. Told him about using it for PCP's and he said to bring the end of life one in and leave it. Being past service life, it cannot be recertified, but he hydro'd it without certifying it and told me it was fine when I picked them up a week later, didn't charge me for that. I have no idea on fill prices, I have a compressor.

BTW, he was probably being extra nice to me since we talked for over an hour about our firearm collections, and made plans to get together to check out a couple of each other's special ones.
I had a similar experience for Co2 and recertification of my aluminum tank. Use the 🔥 option first