Cost of using Nitrogen.

I know prices are different for different areas but here is what it is in East Tennessee. And I also know you can shop around for the setup on the tank to get it to fill small tanks and air guns. And I know this has been discussed before, but this is the figures I got today for my costs.

5 year lease on 6,000 tank is $400
tank fill is $180
delivery $15
gauge setup for the nitrogen tank is $514 (this is the airtanksforsale version with both gauges tank pressure and output pressure)

so $1109 start up? I think this is the high end of the setup. But no worry about what filter to use on your fill station. No servicing anything just fill up. I don't shoot as much as many do and I could see a yearly fill up would take care of my needs.

So for me yearly cost would be $80 lease and tank fill for $180. (the company brings a full one and picks up the empty which weights around 450lbs) to fill my Great White or fill some guns direct.

Edit: mod if you see this post please kick it over to the air tanks thread.........thank you Bob

I got a used scba tank with a fresh hydro for $110 (8 years of life left). A fill of air is $10 for both my tanks and that lasts me 2-3 months. 

I made my fill adapter from parts from North Shore and eBay for around $60 also. 

Can't think of any reason to do anything differently. Nitrogen may be dryer but I have no issues from air being wetter. Literally none ever. I would never know if I didn't know.

I use my N2 tank as back-up. I get my tanks filled at a paintball shop. But they hot fill them so after it cools down I'm left with about 4000 psi. It's an inside play-field so they are pretty busy most days and sometimes they are low on pressure and can't fill up to over 3500 psi. I use N2 to top off my tanks. The shop only charges $1.50 per 1000 psi so it's never more than $3-4 per fill. I just like the convenience of having a N2 tank. Eventually I plan to get a big compressor.

"blackdiesel"I use my N2 tank as back-up. I get my tanks filled at a paintball shop. But they hot fill them so after it cools down I'm left with about 4000 psi. It's an inside play-field so they are pretty busy most days and sometimes they are low on pressure and can't fill up to over 3500 psi. I use N2 to top off my tanks. The shop only charges $1.50 per 1000 psi so it's never more than $3-4 per fill. I just like the convenience of having a N2 tank. Eventually I plan to get a big compressor.
If you have the room, a good trick is to put your tank in the freezer for a little while before you get it filled, or, if it's winter, leave it outside for a bit. Not long enough to cause any damage, just enough to make it feel very cold to the touch and it will help with the issue about losing pressure when it cools. I used to have the same issue and it was very annoying as you only get from 4500 to 3000psi until you want to refill it, so you don't want to lose 1/3 of it before you start.

I keep three tanks and rotate two of them while keeping the 3rd full as a backup. 2 are 45 min tanks and the other is a 30 minute one which is easier to carry to the range. 

Filling with a tank is far easier and quicker than using a cheap compressor if you have a fill station close to where you live. The store I use is 5 minutes drive and they supply and maintain my tanks too. They replaced a valve last week for free because I had bought the tank from them.

I think a shoebox is useful for topping up tanks with higher fill pressures or for people that use helium where it is not easy to find a 4500psi fill. They aren't fast enough to be convenient beyond that unless there is nowhere to fill a tank close by. Quality compressors that they use to fill tanks quickly in a dive shop or paintball store are many times more expensive. Even the $3000 are not that great.