• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

cost of these pcp

No justification needed but...

I can shoot every day, it keeps me home, its “cheap” after the initial setup, my family and friends can enjoy it too, it’s quiet and I enjoy it.

These things are a lot of money for any income level (I’m middle class, single income, 8 kids) but once you buy one and get over the initial shock of it, it turns into loads of fun.

Best wishes on your journey!

I moved out to the country on 3 acres. Can’t shoot firearms here, so got into airguns. Realized the world of airguns is much bigger and expensive than I thought. 

My brother in law bought an $1500 AR15. It sits in the safe for 2 years at a time. Not even 300 shots through it. 

I bought a $1500 airgun. I get to shoot it as much as my heart desires on my 150yard home range. 

I say my money is better spent than my brother in laws. 

PCP have a high entry price, but there is a TON of satisfaction to be had. 

Justify a Hobby? Can't be done, I mean who needs one of these? If you notice the gear is up, it closed when I landed, I didn't double check that it was down and LOCKED. (That's not me in the picture). That little mistake cost me about $2,500 plus down time.

I can't wait to leave Ca and move to my Property in SC so I can shoot or hunt everyday.

Smitty

1564935613_14373314685d4705bde16bd1.98313048_20170827_130849.jpg

I feel lucky to have found the wonderful world of pcp shooting,

i came from the land of registered skeet shooting,

Kreighoff K-80 with sub gauge tubes,,,15K

tournament fees every weekend 500,,,,

meals, lodging, shells for said tournament,,,

800 a week,,,,,

the first target you miss and its thanks for coming in the land of 100 straight per event and a perfect 400 for the weekend,,,,

no thank you,

i feel blessed to have found such a hobby to take me into the next how many years,,,,,

Well damn, if I had the funds the last two of you guys have here, I would already own any thing and every thing I wanted .................and.................... gold plated. Lol I really want an fx crown blue laminated stock, 25 cal., but have no way to put my hands on one or any other for that matter, if so I would probably already own one. Thanks guys for the input ! 

Well damn, if I had the funds the last two of you guys have here, I would already own any thing and every thing I wanted .................and.................... gold plated. Lol I really want an fx crown blue laminated stock, 25 cal., but have no way to put my hands on one or any other for that matter, if so I would probably already own one. Thanks guys for the input !

If you have the desire and will then save and buy. I spend my time between shoots working myself near cripple to provide for my future and hobby. It's up to you whether or not it can be affordable. 

You can avail yourself of a lower end used gun & hand pump. Shoot it while you decide if PCPs are for you and save enough money to buy the one of your dreams. Chances are that a used one will be available at a price you have saved up to by that time. A lot of folk will always want the latest and greatest, and will be willing to part with your Grail just to get their new Grail. 

You can avail yourself of a lower end used gun & hand pump. Shoot it while you decide if PCPs are for you and save enough money to buy the one of your dreams. Chances are that a used one will be available at a price you have saved up to by that time. A lot of folk will always want the latest and greatest, and will be willing to part with your Grail just to get their new Grail.

What do you mean “between shoots” , you shoot competitively ? Is that what most you guys do ?

I have an accurate,wait 4 accurate PCP rifles and a couple of PCP pistols....did not pay over $300 for any one of them,I hand pump all and I pay between $65 to $120 each for good scopes....what you see is =$300+say $100 scope and $150 for a great hand pump.....cheap for the amount of fun and enjoyment I have shooting them in My Backyard......the problem is not so much the cost...when you know what you are Doing.The problem is the addiction of wanting another one and another one.....and by the way a good springer starts around $300 and it to is accurate and fun....try one and see if all that powder burning shooting helps you shoot a springer better....one thing it is way,way cheaper.

I have been looking at getting one, but damn it would be one of the most expensive guns I own, and maintain acne ( leaks and such) seems to be an acceptable part of owning one I guess. How do you guys justify the price of these things ( competition guys, yes I understand) ? I am sure they are like bikes and kayaks, resale value sucks, no ? I guess I am on the edge here trying to decide to take the plunge or not, may be just a little push will convince me, one way or the other. Obviously posting here is going to push me into buying one most likely but I would like to hear the truth if they are a headache to keep maintained and really how long do you expect them to last, surly not something you can pass down from generation to generation ? Like reading about all the stuff you guys are doing, thanks.

Well your first issue is you are looking at the cost of the guns people on this forum push......there are some very fine items to choose from in the $400 and below range that will give you 99.9% (really) of the experience of putting holes in the __________ that the < $1000 guns will give you for much less in price.....and will tell you if you like this way of flinging lead or not.

I will say that hand pumps suck, as it will suck all the fun of this clean out of this hobby....so budget for a tank.

A used scuba tank should run ~$120 the hardware another ~$100 then the gun and pellets....with pcp if you have any kind of glass it will be ok.

Really 99% of the entry level guns punch way above their weight class.....where as many of those suggested here would be in more of the category of Holland and Holland....sure it is a gun, sure it will shoot.....but is it going to shoot THAT much better? Nope.

I am going to leave it at that.....the people here have a real need to justify their choices, I would say try a Gauntlet, Chief, Maximus and give it a go....they will all need a bit of trigger work but many have an adjustable trigger out of the box that you can work with....past that grab a pellet sample pack from straight shooters if they still sell it, find out what your rifle likes and I bet you will be happy.

I still shoot mostly powder, and think of the air guns as trigger time, be they pistols or rifles.....you can use them to train with...all the same rules are in place, breathing....everything....they will make you a better powder shooter.

Don't give up too quick....get good pellets, if one pellet is the size of an Ike silver at 25 the next pellet can put them inside a dime.....pellet guns are like rimfire, they like what they like.

Good luck and don't let anyone tell you that you have to shell out the kind of cash you are taking.....you don't need to spend over $500 to get a fantastic shooting rifle.

I have an FX Royale 500 & FX Boss. Bought Royale new ($1700) & Boss used ($1,000). Yes, expensive but NEVER done ANYTHING except shoot em & clean/lube em! Virtually trouble & maintenance free. Been shooting the Royale for almost 3 years! If you buy a compressor, you can get out of date SCBA (not to be confused with Scuba) on Ebay for as low as $35.

(See posts re: SCBA safety in these forums). The "learning curve" is way different from powder burners but is a BLAST! Augie (Bigragu) got that right. You won't be sorry if you dive in. Since I started with airguns I've had no desire to shoot burners. It's a happily rewarding hobby. GO FOR IT! LIVE a little! 

Look at like a hunting rifle. Buy a $400.00 powder burner. Now that’s not a high end gun but it’s not an economy grade gun either. Then spend $400.00 on upgrades. Like a scope and rings. Maybe an aftermarket stock or a new trigger. Then say you want to get started in handloading for that gun. That’s another say $500.00. So you’ve just spent $1300.00. Right ?

I just purchased (from this site) a used but like new Benjamin Marauder Pistol .22 cal. It has about $400.00 worth of upgrades. I paid $550.00 shipped for it. And I found on fleabay a like new ( 6 months old) Ninja 90 CU air tank and fill station. For $330.00 shipped to my door. So $880.00. Gets me in the game. Believe me I would have loved to just stuck with Springers but the inexpensive ones are a gamble and the when you get into the mid to high end ones well they can be close to the price of and entry level PCP. For me the springers in .22 cal were just too big. I wanted something compact and quite. So I have taken the plunge. I now am waiting patiently for my new toys to arrive. Good luck with your search. 

Sorry , quoted wrong person, should have been John_in_MA. But thanks for the info.

I would say about 1% of posters shoot competitively. Maybe fewer. I got serious about airgun competitions when my friends stopped plinking with me. I thought I was a good shot, I was mistaken. It's taken me five years shooting at matches most weekends between april and november to get close to competing with top shooters. I don't recommend it if you want a life outside of shooting. 

I bought my first PCP 12ish years ago AA400 because I could practice for Silhouette competitions without driving somewhere. I thought the price was down right stupid. But I soon found out being able to plink at home was way cool and a quiet rifle was great. So I bought others, then a compressor and the price is stupid and I don’t think they you will ever get a good return on high end equipment. However I keep buying them because I have fun with them. I may order a Cricket tonight. If you have time and enjoy tinkering. You may try some proven inexpensive stuff. Recently I bought a Crossman silhouette single shot. Man it shoots good, I don’t see getting rid of it. But then I bought a Artimis shot it once and put up nothing wrong with it. Just not for me. So be sure when buying.