• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

cost of these pcp

I have been looking at getting one, but damn it would be one of the most expensive guns I own, and maintain acne ( leaks and such) seems to be an acceptable part of owning one I guess. How do you guys justify the price of these things ( competition guys, yes I understand) ? I am sure they are like bikes and kayaks, resale value sucks, no ? I guess I am on the edge here trying to decide to take the plunge or not, may be just a little push will convince me, one way or the other. Obviously posting here is going to push me into buying one most likely but I would like to hear the truth if they are a headache to keep maintained and really how long do you expect them to last, surly not something you can pass down from generation to generation ? Like reading about all the stuff you guys are doing, thanks. 

There is a lot of 'referral bias' for problems on these forums, as they're almost like the emergency rooms of airgun illness.

If you sat in a hospital all day you'd eventually swear everybody in the world was either sick or dying. Believe me, I work in one.

PCP's are inherently more complex than firearms since they're a self contained power plant, and so will naturally have a bit more maintenance involved, but mostly just for seals etc. In one or two areas they may actually be more robust though - for example you'll never really have your barrel wear out. 

The advantages of clean, quiet and generally pretty cheap shooting, possible in the back yard (depending on caliber and exactly where you live I guess) makes up for pretty much all the drawbacks for me. 

Lol, the anxiety in your post hints to me that you're already off the edge and hurtling down the rabbit hole 😂 Welcome!

Reactions: nervoustrig
this is a serious question. i have had about 8 rifles and 7 pistols from co2 to BB to PCP. resale is about 75% if done within say, year of purchase. condition being great of course. so you can try a rifle , and if it does not bowl you over, you can let it go and not take a huge hit. example - fx wildcat going for about 13-1400. will resale for about 1100 in great condition.because it is real popular. a lesser popular brand may take longer or need to go for a lesser percentage. it's not like you will have to sell it for 20% of initial cost like an aquarium or some other odd item. if you get an air arms s510 an fx dreamline or a vulcan 2 there is no way you do not get back a minimun of about a $1000 or more. likewise if you get say a umarex gauntlet for $325 -not sure of price. used it will pull at least $200. just get a reputable brand and i garantee there are TONS of people here who can assist with that. you will be able to enter this hobby without feeling vulnerable. lastly , most decent guns require minimal maintanence and when needed , is usually not to expensive.

"How do you guys justify the price of these things ( competition guys, yes I understand) ? "

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't attempt to justify my expensive hobby of airgunning -- and it can be quite expensive if one decides to go "all in". 

Some guys like golfing, some guys like boating and fishing. Some may like all of the above. I happen to like airgunning. At 64 years of age and after a lifetime of long hours doing hard work and putting my 2 boys through college, I'm now retired.

I intend to spend the remainder of my life doing whatever I please. No apologies or justifications to anyone.

Happy airgunning! 

You might consider buying used-I've had pretty good luck with that strategy, the one exception was a modded gun with "great accuracy" that didn't quite live up to its' owners claim. The Marauder is a proven platform that is not ridiculously expensive, they are hard to beat, especially for the money. A good hand pump can be gotten used for a good price as most folks opt for a tank after pumping for a while.

Iam a newbie in this but I went from a hatsan flash pup to fx impact and yes it's pricey.wife has dreamlike. I've taken my impact apart many times cleaning yes replacing c3 oring derlan is the bomb. But its my hobby we spent some money in tanks compressor ECT. But after that buy another gun and no extras needed.iam 60 iam having the most fun I've had in a long time.jump in the waters fine.FX for life

It's hard to justify what the addiction makes us do sometimes but then again it keeps us off the streets and out of the bars and drug houses so I say what the heck just go with it. ;^) I have been airgunning for over twenty years unless you count the BB guns when I was young that would make it fifty plus. So when I finally decided all the modding I was doing was never going to get me to where I wanted to be, unless I bought ten grand worth of machinery and tooling, I purchased the single most expensive gun I have ever had. It costs more than any of my powder burners. Still it was far less than what I would have spent on a decent lathe and mill. The accuracy and cheap shooting is worth it as it puts a grin on my face nearly every time I head out to go shoot.

2MANYAIRGUNZ, amen to your comment. Us retired folks with broken up bodies should get to enjoy our remaining days doing what we want, no matter the cost, lol. 

I want to add, that what truly makes this hobby so much more fun for me and possibly others, is once a powder burner gun is all set up with scope, fancy stock, bipod, etc., it’s basically “done” and will sit in the gun safe till it’s next outing to the range or hunt. With these PCP’s, there’s hours of tweaking, adding modifications to make it better and more accurate, and modifications to the additions that go with the support system like tanks and compressors. It is a never ending “tweaker’s joy” if better put. There’s nothing like sitting down over a morning cup of coffee, taking apart a pcp gun, re sealing it or adding a regulator and testing it, all in the comfort of your own back yard or garage. 

No ammo purchase laws to deal with(us CA folks), no fighting for prime space at the range, no long drives out to a spot to be able to shoot long distance, etc.

Here’s a good one- if you’re at home, and you accidentally bump your scope or do something that brings doubt in the scopes setting, you’re gonna lose sleep till you make it out to the range again. Ha! With Airguns, no problem. Set up a quick target in your back yard and re zero. Being able to shoot anytime you want, for as long as you want, only sharpens your shooting skills like no other.

what is the intended use of the gun? punching paper? ripping apart soda cans? hunting small game? pesting birds? long distance shooting/pesting? i won many a local bass tournament fishing from my $5000 used boat and low end tackle against competitors with $60,000 rigs and all the latest electronics. sure, they beat me to the best spots with their 225hp motors against my 60hp, but i could accomplish the same task with what i had. i thought about this when it came time to buy my 1st pcp. do i really need to spend $1500 on a rifle to hunt squirrels and rabbits when i was doing just fine with my NP2? how much should i spend to shoot cans and such?

i would love to have an expensive long distance shooter, but it's an hour drive to my sister's farm and how many times will i actually go there to shoot? most of us shoot in our yards, and for me the max distance is 50 yards with most shots taken at 30. i don't need a high dollar rifle for that. 

i had a limit on how much i wanted to spend on the rifle alone, then i researched all of them in that price range. i've only been in the airgun sport for a little while, but that rifle is still my #1 hunting rig 4 years later. would i like a new .25 daystate wolverine? yes! do i really need it? no.

write down what you will REALLY use the gun for and then figure in the amenities.

my rifle doesn't have a 2 stage trigger, but the trigger is fine for hunting. it doesn't have an manometer, but i know how many shots i can get before i need to refill. the shot count isn't a lot, but it's twice what i need for an all day hunt.

with all that said, i do wish i had spent the extra $100 for the edition with a 2 stage trigger, shrouded barrel, manometer, walnut over beech stock, and 1/2"-20 threaded muzzle rather than 10mx1. however, i wasn't sure how deep i was willing to fall into pcps and i wanted to wet my feet.

truth be told, that rifle sits in it's case all year except when squirrel season opens. yes, i could use it for target shooting and plinking, but i prefer my springers for that. way more challenging!😉

Haha, not much I can add to all the great replies here. 

Just search the classifieds for a good deal on a quality used air rifle.

I purchased a sweet 2007 model FX Logun Solo that had just been resealed right before Christmas for $500. I'd like to think I could get my money out of it, but have no intentions of ever selling it.

I've lost money big time on every new gun I've bought. And I've bought plenty of used guns that were more accurate than some of the new guns I bought!

The hardest part is not getting caught up in the next ,newest,best thing on the market fad and the feeling you have to have it?

Go ahead and dive in. The water's fine!

Fuss

How do I justify the cost. I don't. However consider this:

Lets say that you start with an economy PCP, but want air tanks so you don't have to pump. I'll start with a Marauder (about $450). Decent scope and rings - whatever you want to spend. Say $200. Tanks and fill station, say the 90 Cubic Inch Ninja tanks. that's about $350 Startup cost, $1000. Good powder burner can cost that much.

Once you have the tanks, the next gun is just the cost of the gun.

Son shoots 6.5 Creedmoor. Reloading he pays $85 cents per shot. After a couple boxes, his shoulder takes a few days to recover.

Once I pay for the gun, scope and tanks, I pay about $.05 per shot, and my shoulder never hurts. I may have front loaded the costs more than the PB guys, but my ongoing costs are incredibly cheap in comparison.

I go to the range, shoot 500 rounds for $18 for the best pellets available in .22, while my son pays $38 for 40 shots.

If you want cost justification, look at the entire life cycle. Lifecycle costs really add up.

Plus, I never clean my gun (well, almost never). No gun solvents, no wasting time on that end of the gun.

I started with a Marauder, put in a regulator and other springs, now shoots better than my best PB. Also spent the $$ for an Impact. Fantastic gun with an incredible trigger. Expensive, yes, but soooooo much fun!

I think I'm well ahead of my wife's cousins and her brother. They got some very very nice guns from Gunwerks for hunting which granted is Overkill but hey it's something I have to compare to. So $5000-7000 rifles that get shot maybe 2 times a year.

Let's play it this way:

High end PCP-$1900

Nice compressor-$1200

Good tank-$800

Good scope-$300

40 tins JSB 18gr pellets =20,000 pellets (what I shoot normally)-$570

Total under $5000

I can have a gun for less than what they bought with all support equipment and ammo to last me many many years that I can shoot year round and pest with and keep up my shooting skills constantly safely and quietly in my backyard. Or I can be like my brother in law and have a $5000 gun sitting in the safe for over a year and still haven't taken an animal with it.

And thats one of the most expensive routes you can go. You can get a nice PCP like a Gamo Urban for around $250, a hand pump for $50 and a $100 scope then buy pellets and your set to jet.

Until very recently you would expect 10+ years trouble free operation, then perhaps an oring. Any brand you hear of with frequant "needs" is a poor design, just stay away from those and you'll be as reliable as a model A. Plenty of 10+ year old Career and Air Arms and Theoben's thatb have never needed a thing.

Cost, but used. AA500 say, $400.00, good G^ clone hand pump $60.00, + scope. Plan on replacing oring every 10-20 years on the rifle, nothing else.

Cost of shooting, low low low.

Amount of fun, very high.

John

How to justify the price? If you need to ask that question, move on. I bought a sports car, and a friend asked if I realized the depreciation rate on it. He had recently taken a trip to Europe, and I asked if he realized the depreciation rate on that! It's simply discretionary spending. And no, it's not like a high grade rifle or shotgun that can remain untouched for years and still be passed on to the grand kids as new. Air rifles require more maintenance, like cars. And also like cars, technological advancements render rapid depreciation. It's basically throw-away money, pure and simple. 

Compared to shooting a CMP Service rifle matche every month. 1K dollar M1 Garand and a 1K AR, $500 spotting scope, $200 reloading press and dies. Then 1,000 rounds of ammo at $1 per shot for each rifle for a years worth of matches and at least that much more for practice. I can buy a new PCP every year for less than I was burning in ammo before. Now I am shooting $12/500 count pellets and not driving to the range unless I want to (2 matches a month).

PCP are expensive. You need a compressor which cost anywhere from 500 to 3000 dollars. Then you need a tank that cost 500 to 700. And just the gun, basic starts from 500 to 2000. A real gun, you can buy it and the bullets and you are ready to shoot. My ar15 cost me $600. My 12gauge shot gun cost me $300. My 22 lr cost me $120. Would be cheaper to go 22 lr imo. Airgun advantage is, its quiet, doesnt need background check, no waiting period, ships right to your door, backyard friendly.