• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Corbin Swaging Press Input

I’ve been contemplating acquiring one of these presses. I’m in no rush, but I think I’d like to start with .22 (or perhaps .30) and .357 calibers. I’m considering swaging and pouring my own slugs for practice and hunting. I’d likely like to learn to pour my own cores as well. In the meantime it’s helpful that NSA offers spools of lead now. I’d probably order the press with the expectation of at least a 6 month lead time and then purchase dies and other accessories whenever.

After becoming air independent I like the idea of having control over the size and weight consistency of my projectiles. Considering I’ve been trapping most of my lead for the last couple of years, I’ve got enough to recycle for a while. I’m not too concerned with the cost factor concerning a return on investment. This is more a convenience thing. It’s something to do that I think I may enjoy, another facet of the hobby. I’m thinking long term here.

I’ve been reading about presses, certain types of dies, and watching videos for around a year. I like the popular entry-level Corbin setup. I’ve just gotten to the point where I’m trying to learn the basics of ballistics (and I do mean the basics). Up until now I’ve been content with being able to hit what I aim at within the first two shots.

My questions are: Are there things that I haven’t mentioned that I should consider before purchasing? What are the pros and cons that you have found in producing your own projectiles as a non-competition shooter? For the competitors I think I understand why some of you do this. I don’t shoot nearly as much as many of y’all do. Which components or accessories have you found absolutely necessary to streamline your swaging process? What tips do you have to help others avoid purchasing unecessary things when putting together this sort of setup?

I made my own dies to use in the far less expensive RCE press. I made the ejection pin lift the slug clear of the die and also made a pusher that sweeps the finished slug into a bin so I don’t have to pick it up by hand. I only have to place the wire into the die and cycle handle. I can press about 1250 slugs per hour….and they are pristine.

Before anyone asks…I’m not interested in making dies or press parts, I’m just showing how mine works.

Mike

@thomasair Interesting that you went the RCE route. That’s an impressive rate of production!! I was concerned about compatibility issues with the RCE setup from things I’ve read. I’ve communicated with him about that setup. I wasn’t sold on it at the time. Also I’m not as gifted as many AGN members appear to be in manufacturing their own parts, thus the appeal of the more popular Corbin setup. Do you think that I may be overthinking this or overlooking something?

Corbion kit are Pretty complete.
The only thing to think about is the Storage of the dies and punches.....Especially if you are doing multiple calibers!
A Stamp Pad.. to help apply the lube to the lead blanks as you swage them! Just roll them on the pad.
Finally, a good digital scale to weigh your cores and slugs
swage61.jpg

He runs a Very Friendly shop....
Also He answers the phone most of the Time!
So he is very willing to work with you on your order.
Especially if you are wanting something custom in your pellet design!

When I ordered my Swaging setup... Oregon was on fire just like California...
He was concerned for his employees and their families..
He tried his best to get what was in stock.. out to me.....

I need to call him about my latest die and punch order......

The only thing I can help you with is casting cores. Its pretty easy and low investment to.do. The Lee.420 20 lb production pot is good.$89.00. Last time I bought pure soft lead....roofing lead sheets....I paid a dollar a pound... Good luck on your journey.. I'm sure your swaged slugs will be of the highest quality. If your going through this much work you might as well powder coat your perfect swaged slugs... Powder coating easy...small investment For me being able to make.high quality slugs yourself is very satisfying😀

Reactions: Long_Shot
I owe both of their equipment along with a hydraulic CHP-1 press . I make my own copper jackets from flat strip for powder burners . One can invest a whole lot of money into equipment but it’s a fun hobby . Also own a lathe and spent several attempts at making a point form die but it can be done if enough equipment and skill .
once you own the equipment -cost for slugs would be nearly nothing compared to purchasing them But you would have to shoot a lot to ever come out …like most hobbies .

With slug swaging, sizing to the barrel matters. Swaging sets are either ordered to be specific on sizing to a particular barrel or they are ordered at nominal barrel diameters, .177, .217, .300, etc. As is common, one slug does not perform the same from gun to gun, and grouping can be tightened up by simply sizing to what the bore demands. Because a set of matching swage dies is expensive compared to a Lee sizing die, if you order the swage set at 0.0015+" over sized, the initial swaged slug can be ran through the sizing dies sized specific to different barrels. With several different guns and barrels of the same caliber, complete with their own sizing dies, you can have great accurate swaged slugs for all.

Since I read about OP I started lurking with the idea to resize the slugs as a first step until my own existing stock lasts, and eventually start swagging my own.
But these presses look expensive in a first look ... also in a second as well :) and yes you are right I have never done reloading before.
Where can I save some money on the press? any suggestions?

Reactions: JungleShooter
If you have a machine shop, making your own like Mike @ Thomasair did is doable.
But, if you don't. Buying a turn-key setup from Corbin is well worth it. IMO.
I bought a Corbin setup about 6 - 7 years ago now and it was the BEST thing I could have done for my airgun hobby.
I have several dies and lots of different base punches and hollow point pins.
Since I do have a machine shop now, making extra punches/pins just adds to the enjoyment.
I was a little concerned about the $$$ cost of everthing it would take at first.
But I was much more concerned that it was a two step prosess to complete one slug back then. Not now.
I say forget about the $$$ cost. If you want to shoot slugs, making your own is the way to go.
In the long run you'll be way better off with an endless supply of consistant projectiles custom made for your gun.
Again just my experience and opinion.

I made my own dies to use in the far less expensive RCE press. I made the ejection pin lift the slug clear of the die and also made a pusher that sweeps the finished slug into a bin so I don’t have to pick it up by hand. I only have to place the wire into the die and cycle handle. I can press about 1250 slugs per hour….and they are pristine.

Before anyone asks…I’m not interested in making dies or press parts, I’m just showing how mine works.

Mike

What RCE press is that? Looks like the $325 Sea Girt-3 Press?
Your setup seems pretty darn good. Could you explain exactly what you did to make it? I assume just buying the press and making a die isn't enough.
Could you post pictures of the parts you made yourself?
If I wanted to make the same setup, what parts would I need to buy and what parts would I need to make myself?

It’s a sea girt 3. You just have to make the dies…The press does the rest.

Mike
So it seems you have made 3 things for the press?

Push press thing screwed onto the top screw.
1.jpg

Nail spike sticking out under the spring? Is it there to raise the spring or something?
2.jpg

Die for the slug.
3.jpg

So to make your setup I need to make the top press pusher part, the die and that spike thing? What is the spike thing for?
How does the push pin work and the ejection of the slug? Your hand is in the way in the video so I can see how it all works.
Could you describe exactly everything you did to get your press to that stage? or is it as simple as making a screw on push thing at the top and a die?
Is the spike related to the ejector pin?

The nail looking thing comes with the press. It’s just a 1/4” shaft. That is what performs the ejection process. When the ram is lowered the cross shaft contacts the press base and as the ram is lowered further it pushes up on the ejection pin.

The ram is threaded 7/8-14. My dies were not originally made for use in a press like this so they just has a smooth body. I had to make a threaded bushing to press my die into. That’s what you see.

The top piece is also just a bushing that my original die cap is pressed into. The press uses a draw bar that runs from the top through the threaded portion and into the bushing. Tightening the draw bar holds the upper in place. You want to have a little float in the upper piece so you can adjust the alignment before tightening the drawbar.

Mike

So those two things are the only ones you made yourself?
Could you take a closer picture of the die, it's hard to see exactly what's going on from that small picture. It looks like there is a space between the die and the lower part with the spike? So the lower part came with the press and it's just the top part that's the die you made yourself then?

Hmm, doesn't seem too hard to do. I guess I could order a die online but the top die cap I would have to make myself.
I'm not the smartest person but this seems doable for an idiot like myself :D
idiot.jpg