• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

convited felon laws and airguns

I am no lawyer or expert, but here are some links you folks might want to check out. Seems legit that a felon can own an airgun almost anywhere in the US.

Here is a link to a pdf of the Gun Control Act. Section A (3) defines a firearm. It also explicitly excludes antique firearms: LAW.PDF (vagunforum.net)

In California airguns are defined as Imitation Firearms (Other Than Firearms): Law section (ca.gov)

PENAL CODE - PEN PART 6. CONTROL OF DEADLY WEAPONS [16000 - 34370]  ( Part 6 added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. )

TITLE 3. WEAPONS AND DEVICES OTHER THAN FIREARMS [19910 - 23025] ( Title 3 added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. )

DIVISION 4. IMITATION FIREARMS [20150 - 20180] ( Division 4 added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. )

And: Can a Felon Own a Pellet Rifle in California? (legalbeagle.com)

Defining Firearms in California

Under California law, a firearm is defined as a "device designed to be used as a weapon from which is expelled through a barrel a projectile by the force of an explosion or another form of combustion." The detail about "the force of an explosion or another form of combustion" is the statement that specifically excludes pellet guns from the definition. Even BB gun pistols using a CO2 cartridge for additional projectile power are not considered to employ combustion.

I hope you guys find these interesting, I sure found them informative. The Gun Control Act is really a good read, and I highly suggest everyone read it for general knowledge.

That is interesting! Thanks! 

Do your friend a favor and consult a lawyer in your area, DO NOT trust anything that you read on a forum in regards to this subject. As an example felons are not allowed archery equipment because people hunt large game during bow season. A lawyer will cost, but it will be worth it if it keeps him out of the system. Cops and judges never accept " I read it on the internet " as a valid reason for anything. 

Holy Thread Resurrection Batman!

Questions like this should be directed to your states AG office. They are normally great sources of info and are the prosecuting authority.

Opinions are just that and I have mine as well. Make a call, it's easy and will be decisive. Get the name of who you talk to as well. Hopefully the AG him/herself will answer for you and not a staff member.

I'm not a fan of even being near a felon, the range of a felony can be from something that some might consider mundane to something hideous as a murderer or a child molester etc etc, so I'm not even the least bit interested in helping any felon circumventing any law...legal or not, if a felon got picked up with a air rifle, its gonna go down as a firearm charge ( federal), then he or she is off to court once again trying to beat the possible conviction ...time and money. Your butt could also be swept up in it if he or she was playing with your air rifle and you knew they had a felony...cops only arrest...after that its between you, the judge and a jury. Tell your felonious friend to take up fishing. I probably sound like a ass but I have a daughter, my dad was an investigator, I played fair and have seen and heard about a lot of terrible crimes and its aftermath... so a felon should have used his or her head before they screwed up. Also think about this for a moment nor about yourself or your pals interests....do you want regulation brought to the air rifle industry? I if so, keep popping off about felonies and air rifles which are rapidly approaching the ability of some firearms...you're only eventually screwing it up for people who are legit and enjoy the sport. Now if you have a felony too and are fishing just for information, then leave your name and address here and I will gladly ping it to your local authorties.

I'm not sure I'd want to keep company with a felon but am 100% sure I wouldn't let him/her anywhere near anything I owned that shot ANY kind of a projectile.

CYA mode!!

I'm not a fan of even being near a felon, the range of a felony can be from something that some might consider mundane to something hideous as a murderer or a child molester etc etc, so I'm not even the least bit interested in helping any felon circumventing any law...legal or not, if a felon got picked up with a air rifle, its gonna go down as a firearm charge ( federal), then he or she is off to court once again trying to beat the possible conviction ...time and money. Your butt could also be swept up in it if he or she was playing with your air rifle and you knew they had a felony...cops only arrest...after that its between you, the judge and a jury. Tell your felonious friend to take up fishing. I probably sound like a ass but I have a daughter, my dad was an investigator, I played fair and have seen and heard about a lot of terrible crimes and its aftermath... so a felon should have used his or her head before they screwed up. Also think about this for a moment nor about yourself or your pals interests....do you want regulation brought to the air rifle industry? I if so, keep popping off about felonies and air rifles which are rapidly approaching the ability of some firearms...you're only eventually screwing it up for people who are legit and enjoy the sport. Now if you have a felony too and are fishing just for information, then leave your name and address here and I will gladly ping it to your local authorties.

I've not met too many people in life that have not committed at least one felony in their lifetime's. In answering a few questions truthfully, I have even had police officers candidly admit to having committed a felony or two. I find that most people are hypocrites in the matter of who has committed a felony and who is holier than thou.

I'm not sure I'd want to keep company with a felon but am 100% sure I wouldn't let him/her anywhere near anything I owned that shot ANY kind of a projectile.

CYA mode!!

I've not met too many people in life that have not committed at least one felony in their lifetime's. In answering a few questions truthfully, I have even had police officers candidly admit to having committed a felony or two. I find that most people are hypocrites in the matter of who has committed a felony and who is holier than thou.

+1

I try to not judge people before I get to know the person, because I've lived that 1%er life, and continue to exist within federal / state grey area..

And while yes there are some acts which are committed which for obvious reasons can not be forgiven, however there are many that can be, and individuals can rehabilitated and should be given a second chance.

I hope the OP and their neighbor have found their answers from local authorties, and that they are able to continue to share in this hobby

Every crime has consequences. Every time someone is harmed by our actions, there is damage.

There is no crime which can not be forgiven.

Once upon a time, there was a man on his knees before an angry mob intent upon killing a young woman who had committed a crime.

He wrote, "Let him who is without sin throw the first stone."

Now be brutally honest with yourself. Close your eyes and ask yourself, "What have I done that I don't want to remember?"

If you did not think of a single thing, pick up your rock and have at it.

Every crime has consequences. Every time someone is harmed by our actions, there is damage.

There is no crime which can not be forgiven.

Once upon a time, there was a man on his knees before an angry mob intent upon killing a young woman who had committed a crime.

He wrote, "Let him who is without sin throw the first stone."

Now be brutally honest with yourself. Close your eyes and ask yourself, "What have I done that I don't want to remember?"

If you did not think of a single thing, pick up your rock and have at it.

I've met individuals whom have committed crimes that I cannot forget or forgive.

Crimes against children, rapes, and more just really twisted evil things.

I remember talking to a inmate that had killed an entire family of 5, and then did horrible acts with their dead corpses, before continuing on his killing spree.

He had zero remorse, and I have others, but he comes to mind first.

I just thank God that each of those that I personally have came across that I feel belong in this category, will never be released from prison, because there are some individuals that actually need to be in prison.

Sin and crime are two different things all together, and I'll happily throw stones at any child molester without giving it a second thought.

An awful lot of hate for a person that was probably falsely accused by an ex wife, wish you guys could use this energy and keep this USA from communism, we are almost there and your not aware of it, or don't know where to start, to stop it.

Since "Felony" can cover everything form Hannibal Lector to forgetting about 3 live rounds in the bottom of a backpack at the airport (not positive about that one, but you get the idea), you are correct.

No matter, the AG office, at least here, has always been informative, discrete, and delighted to answer even the toughest questions with an acre of gray area. Use that asset.

Yeah, I realize that not every felon is a bad person, but you must understand that as long as someone has broken the law and been in prison, it is impossible not to be careful and expect any negative action from him. I can't imagine having a felon as a neighbor and talking to him without fear. It's an uncontrollable thing.
Especially after my ex-husband threatened me with a gun that I would feel bad if I divorced him. I had to call the police, get lawyers (I found one here https://stearns-law.com/contact/buckhead/) and participate in trials for a while. And he had some legal violations.

I think you’re being a little bit of an alarmist. Not everyone who is convicted of a felony is waiting to get out of prison so they can lay waste to their neighborhoods. Sure, there are lots of people who commit egregious crimes, but there are also those who get swept up in state laws that create felons out of normally law abiding individuals. As an example, most of you know that California has some of the strictest firearms laws in the nation. Owning or buying or selling certain prohibited firearms (and I’m not talking about NFA firearms) in this state is guaranteed to cause someone a huge amount of legal trouble. They would almost certainly be prosecuted and turned into felons. Now keep in mind that these very same weapons or activities are legal throughout most of the country. Should we really look at those people the same as we do rapists and murderers? I think not.

Not everyone who has a felony conviction deserves to be shunned.

And, in case you’re wondering, I have never been on the other side of the law.

Some people on here with their phobia of felons is hilarious. Have you ever had your car repaired? Eaten at a restaurant? Had your car washed? House painted or any other work done on your home? Guess what, you've dealt with many felons in your life and probably even liked some of them. Not every felon is dangerous. No I'm not a felon, but I know some. Lighten up...jeez!

Some people on here with their phobia of felons is hilarious. Have you ever had your car repaired? Eaten at a restaurant? Had your car washed? House painted or any other work done on your home? Guess what, you've dealt with many felons in your life and probably even liked some of them. Not every felon is dangerous. No I'm not a felon, but I know some. Lighten up...jeez!

That's a pretty broad statement. Have any specific information or circumstances to back up your statement?

That's a pretty broad statement. Have any specific information or circumstances to back up your statement?

Having worked in construction, restaurant ,bodyshop and owning a carwash...every single place had at least one felon working there

Reactions: Nate72