• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Convicted Felon Airgunner

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Ask any police officer you come across or go to a local police station, they can clarify further...."
After dealing with LEO's for alot of years, you would not believe that the majority I dealt with had no idea about actually current firearm laws only what they were told and worse yet what they thought or believed. Look up firearm laws in your city ordinances and state statutes to get real information.
Your right to not own a firearm from a felony conviction was pushed thru by the administration in 1968..called the Federal Firearms act. But that was for blue collar felonies. White collar felonies were except...so if you were a white collar criminal and embezzled 5 million dollars you still kept your rights....but be a normal blue collar guy and steal a 200 bike, and you loose your rights. Still goes on today...
Lots of us made mistakes when we were young and dumb, some were caught and most weren't.
The laws wrote are far from fair....but they were never intended to be fair and just.
If every crime a person commits is a felony...just think of all the people legally disarmed annually...

Where I live, the average police officer is nearer 20 than forty years old and not too bright. What they "know" about the law (not even talking about the US Constitution) is less than adequate and really scary considering the amount of authority they have. What they do to enforce the laws on the books is even less adequate. Most are straight out of the police academy and it seems the "academy" is accepting any and all and graduating all of them regardless, no matter their real qualifications. :cry:

Still waiting for the OP to say exactly what felony(ies) on which he was convicted.

Quote from the OP:

"I don’t hide anything I’m 100% forthright, if folk can’t except me for who I em then they can go etc etc etc "

Last edited:
Yes it would but to me it would feel like I’m trying to act like a politician rather keep it real
Keeping it real may be a survival or coping tool when you’re in the big house but it will keep you swimming upstream now that you’re back on the streets. Maybe if you want to pursue a career in MMA you could keep it real 24/7 but if you want to blend in with society and not spook people, you’re gonna have to have a keeping it real filter. I truly wish you good luck and I hope they didn’t leave a light on for you.

Hey dominick, as a retired Police Officer (25 years) and veteran of USAF, I can tell you that years and years back in Nevada anyway. The laws changed in around 2000 in which it stated that a firearm was defined as any weapon capable of expelling a projectile by means of gun powder, spring, or compressed air. That made a pellet gun a firearm. I would assume most states are like that, especially since air guns have come a long way, and are now capable of shooting huge calibers capable of taking down large game, and people. So being an ex felon, you are a prohibited person for life from owning or being in possession of a firearm. Check with your state, and ask any police officer you come across or go to a local police station, they can clarify further, some states dont classify pellet guns as a firearm.
Most states are not like this at all. Some are still reasonable.

Well after much consideration an thought on this matter and all the good suggestions from all of you guys I’m not going to even ponder on this idea I had. I want to thank everyone for all the suggestions etc and even the ones that wer hard to hear, much respect to all, yours truly Dom.

Where I live, the average police officer is nearer 20 than forty years old and not too bright. What they "know" about the law (not even talking about the US Constitution) is less than adequate and really scary considering the amount of authority they have. What they do to enforce the laws on the books is even less adequate. Most are straight out of the police academy and it seems the "academy" is accepting any and all and graduating all of them regardless, no matter their real qualifications. :cry:

Still waiting for the OP to say exactly what felony(ies) on which he was convicted.

Quote from the OP:

"I don’t hide anything I’m 100% forthright, if folk can’t except me for who I em then they can go etc etc etc "
My charges wer prohibit weapon, and conspiracy in aid of racketeering

Most states are not like this at all. Some are still reasonable.
Hey Trucker I asked a judge I see in my morning coffee shop he said airguns are not considered firearms so it’s ok for a felon to own them,I also asked a police officer that hangs at my shop he is going to look at the law and let me know, thank you for your input

Keeping it real may be a survival or coping tool when you’re in the big house but it will keep you swimming upstream now that you’re back on the streets. Maybe if you want to pursue a career in MMA you could keep it real 24/7 but if you want to blend in with society and not spook people, you’re gonna have to have a keeping it real filter. I truly wish you good luck and I hope they didn’t leave a light on for you.
Good suggestion thank you

Hey Trucker I asked a judge I see in my morning coffee shop he said airguns are not considered firearms so it’s ok for a felon to own them,I also asked a police officer that hangs at my shop he is going to look at the law and let me know, thank you for your input
No problem, the majority of states do not recognize airguns as firearms. There are a few shister hole places like Illinois and Jersey that are exceptions. I’m betting there are some other examples as well.

No problem, the majority of states do not recognize airguns as firearms. There are a few shister hole places like Illinois and Jersey that are exceptions. I’m betting there are some other examples as well.
Lol, I call Jersey the kustopo state, when you get pulled over they say, your papers please,lol

Reactions: Trucker3573
Retired Marine here; Semper Fi. Being a felon doesn't mean poop to me, considering capital hill is chocked full of them; literally. Infact, depending on the crime, my respect for the individual goes UP! All that said, I would'nt (edited/mistyped would) accentuate the felony part, because most people can't relate or they live in a state of safety first and fear.

Last edited:
Retired Marine here; Semper Fi. Being a felon doesn't mean poop to me, considering capital hill is chocked full of them; literally. Infact, depending on the crime, my respect for the individual goes UP! All that said, I would accentuate the felony part, because most people can't relate or they live in a state of safety first and fear.
Good point, Semper Fi

Cops don't know the law(imagine that) I would go with what the judge said or ask a lawer they have studied the law

Reactions: Richieg
Cops don't know the law(imagine that) I would go with what the judge said or ask a lawer they have studied the law
Got ya, ther are some cops that do , put I mention my fare shar of them that don’t , the one I asked is a friend and is going to resource the law ,I’m going with what the judge said but I’m also being therow about it.

My best friend is a convicted felon here in MO. Long time ago, talking 20+ years ago, but convicted non the less. He owns crossbows and compounds, and a couple air rifle, both of which were gifts from me to him. His next door neighbor is a cop and they shoot their bows and airguns in their backyards! Him owning them isn't illegal in our state, technically shooting them in the city limits is, but when your neighbor is a 20 year veteran of the force, you tend to get to do what you want on your property. Within reason of course.
I second Illinois being a chithole for gun laws. Everytime I pass through there I become a felon because I carry my pistol with me. You travel through North STL or east STL at night unarmed and you'll understand why I don't go unarmed lol. Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Reactions: dominick16
My best friend is a convicted felon here in MO. Long time ago, talking 20+ years ago, but convicted non the less. He owns crossbows and compounds, and a couple air rifle, both of which were gifts from me to him. His next door neighbor is a cop and they shoot their bows and airguns in their backyards! Him owning them isn't illegal in our state, technically shooting them in the city limits is, but when your neighbor is a 20 year veteran of the force, you tend to get to do what you want on your property. Within reason of course.
I second Illinois being a chithole for gun laws. Everytime I pass through there I become a felon because I carry my pistol with me. You travel through North STL or east STL at night unarmed and you'll understand why I don't go unarmed lol. Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
That’s awsome and I here ya on the other stuff,lol

I have a friend here in MA who has a felony (4th conviction DUI), one year in and lost his drivers license for life. The first time we got together after he got out he asked me to take his old Daisy BB gun from when he was a kid in the 70's saying he can't own it anymore as a felon. As hard as I tried I could not convince him that was not the case and he could keep it and even go deeper into airguns. I wish you well and hope you find fraternity with fellow shooters where you live.

Reactions: dominick16
I lived in PA for about 15 years and belonged to one gun club and shot at a couple more. They seemed to be more common there than they are here in SC where I live now. Dom might want to look around a bit more for one with a more enlightened attitude. Even a shotgun club might be open to somebody putting up some equipment for airguns. Maybe.

I can only go to 100 feet but I happily shoot in my backyard here. There are also ranges on some state game lands and one state operated gun range near me in SC where anybody can shoot but you are supposed to put $5 in the box (in an envelope and they occasionally check). Don't know if any of that exists in PA. I used to belong to a gun club here but let it lapse when my wife died. I then found out they are racist so I haven't rejoined.

I lived in PA for about 15 years and belonged to one gun club and shot at a couple more. They seemed to be more common there than they are here in SC where I live now. Dom might want to look around a bit more for one with a more enlightened attitude. Even a shotgun club might be open to somebody putting up some equipment for airguns. Maybe.

I can only go to 100 feet but I happily shoot in my backyard here. There are also ranges on some state game lands and one state operated gun range near me in SC where anybody can shoot but you are supposed to put $5 in the box (in an envelope and they occasionally check). Don't know if any of that exists in PA. I used to belong to a gun club here but let it lapse when my wife died. I then found out they are racist so I haven't rejoined.
Wow, ok, thanks jim

Status
Not open for further replies.