• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Convicted Felon Airgunner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Semper Fi.
Promote the Positive. Leave the Felon out of the equation, it's not who you are now. When I got divorced as a young man (22), my credit took a hit as I was paying Child Support, etc. etc. I don't tell anyone that 30 years ago, I couldn't finance a Stamp, CRAP well now I've told this group.

I'm with Chukar60 Make the club for anyone that legally can own an air rifle.

Smitty
'81-'86 USMC 6821

If someone serves their sentence and the courts are satisfied (no probation, etc.), then the gun rights should be returned. If the felony didnt involve a firearm, or weapon, victim, etc. , then gun rights should be returned. If the firearm doesn't use gunpowder, is it NOT considered a firearm?

If its available in your area, while I would not name it the same as you... I would just call it an club by another name as to not attract the attention of the yahoos that like to complain about everything.

It could do the hobby some good, especially if you get enough members for a filling apparatus. Just watch the insurance and air quality regulations for ranges etc. We almost had funding to start an indoor range but lost it before the zoning battle. But that was for powder burners, not air guns. The news gets people all scared about anything related or looking the same.

In WI an airgun is considered a dangerous weapon (Which is kind of wierd considering folks can have a lot of different tools just as dangerous) so you may have similar legislation in other areas inhibiting your clubs members. In wisconsin it is a no no... even if your on a TRO. No red rider for your kid.

As far as the powder burners goes... It may not be up to them. I know the local laws for firearms say if I was driving you to get a burger and if your at my house, but at a range... The articulation of possession can be varied based on laws on all levels of jurisdiction. So... they act in a manner so no one will get in trouble if someone with a felony conviction is there. While its Definitely not pleasant for you. They are not singling you out specifically in some cases at least.

I hope you find a solution.

The same goes for Airguns and archery. I do know that some states will not allow a felon to possess anything capable of shooting a projectile but others have no such restrictions.
I am not too sure that I would go out and advertise a club strictly for felons. That seems to run against the goal of entering the whole of society as a productive and responsible citizen. I think that I would start a club and have as one of it’s charters that any person who can legally possess an airgun is qualified to join. Maybe the non-felon members would gain an education or experience that could change their minds and attitudes about people with a record.
Would be a double win for people with a record.
Im pretty sure a felon can possess an airgun in Wisconsin. Felons can hunt with crossbow or bows, carry knives, etc.

I can imagine a veteran air gun club. But I wonder how a recruitment or acceptance protol could be for the convicted felon club.

Welcome to the CFAGC (Convicted Felon Air Gun Club)! We have some questions for you.

You comitted a crime right?
Yes, of course. The very worst kind.

Was it a felony?
Yup! Was’t no misdemeanor.

And were you convicted?
Well.. technically no, You see, i have done the deed, but the judge…..

DISQUALIFIED! Please come back after a qualified conviction. Go join a regular joe citizen air gun club, peasant.

Hey All, I’m a convicted felon and a productive member of society,a veteran Marine, anyway I’m sick an tired of getting denied by gun ranges that hav airgun ranges there also, so I’m thinking about starting a Convicted felon airgunner club , I know there’s a lot of us out there and I’m sick an tired of mister joe citizen getting all nervous when we appear , he’ll wer the ones always on the front lines when the sh#t hits the fan . Any suggestions? Yours truly Dom aka Tack1%er 4847169016
dominick, thank you for being up front and frank. I am coming from a place that you are not. I am not a Marine (thank you) and I am not a felon. I appreciate you now being a productive part of society, having a vision and desire to create your own place in your community as well as here on AGN. I have ideas that might be out there, but hear me out. The "boundaries" you are now feeling and are "sick and tired of" will be, and have to be, part of your journey to the place of your vision. Managing anger and the reality of prejudice will be paramount to deal with. Rough road, definitely. Do you have a support team to call on? Better be your #1 check box. Is AGN here to support you? YOU BET WE ARE! Just ask.
Carry on my friend, you are not alone here.

Patrick

Reactions: dominick16
Yes it would but to me it would feel like I’m trying to act like a politician rather keep it real
Keeping it real doesn't mean laying all your $#\+ out there for people to deal with. Many out there have a past. It's just that... a past. Leave it there and move forward, don't let it define you. That doesn't mean that you have to hide it or deny it but throwing it out there just complicates things unnecessarily. Thank you for your service (I am a veteran also) and I hope your time fit the crime.

"Hey All, I’m a convicted felon and a productive member of society,a veteran Marine, anyway I’m sick an tired of getting denied by gun ranges that hav airgun ranges there also, so I’m thinking about starting a Convicted felon airgunner club , I know there’s a lot of us out there and I’m sick an tired of mister joe citizen getting all nervous when we appear , he’ll wer the ones always on the front lines when the sh#t hits the fan . Any suggestions? Yours truly Dom aka Tack1%er 4847169016"

When I first read this I thought
"It's a Trap!"
Then I sobered up and thought
" you could call it Con-Air!!"

All jokes aside, I can "imagine" it could be difficult.

I for one believe that if a man/woman pays their debt they should get all their rights back as citizens. It's a human being thing, not a political thing. Nothing will ever make me change that outlook. If you keep screwing up, then ok, bye bye rights, but till then enjoy being American and being free once again and I mean fully free.

Perhaps drive around the area and look for a farm or two. Knock on a few doors looking for a place to shoot. Also maybe talk to the local sheriff about places needing pest control? Maybe the local grain store farmers supply type places? Have you tried an archery range or club? I would branch out and try something different.

Is there any outdoor ranges that you can go to? We have a few around here that literally have no range officers, just a park ranger who patrols occasionally.
Most indoor ranges are 25 yards at most, that I've been to anyhow, which is pretty limited for airguns. None of my local indoor ranges allow air guns for the fact they're worried about ricochets off the back stop.

all this, and i mean all of it on the front page of the main representative forum for airguns is stupid ... IM A FELON AND HEY THIS IS HOW YOU CAN GET ARMED AS A CON .. no offense to the person in particular ... this is the kind of bad press that will get your airguns banned ... you know that right ...

I don't know what state you're in but in many cases getting a public range license is akin to getting a fishing license.

I agree it's stupid not only to talk about this, but to plan on making a "club" revolving around the concept. Sometimes we have to adapt to the cards we're dealt. And sometimes that means not advertising your actions & motives to a large audience.

If its available in your area, while I would not name it the same as you... I would just call it an club by another name as to not attract the attention of the yahoos that like to complain about everything.

It could do the hobby some good, especially if you get enough members for a filling apparatus. Just watch the insurance and air quality regulations for ranges etc. We almost had funding to start an indoor range but lost it before the zoning battle. But that was for powder burners, not air guns. The news gets people all scared about anything related or looking the same.

In WI an airgun is considered a dangerous weapon (Which is kind of wierd considering folks can have a lot of different tools just as dangerous) so you may have similar legislation in other areas inhibiting your clubs members. In wisconsin it is a no no... even if your on a TRO. No red rider for your kid.

As far as the powder burners goes... It may not be up to them. I know the local laws for firearms say if I was driving you to get a burger and if your at my house, but at a range... The articulation of possession can be varied based on laws on all levels of jurisdiction. So... they act in a manner so no one will get in trouble if someone with a felony conviction is there. While its Definitely not pleasant for you. They are not singling you out specifically in some cases at least.

I hope you find a solution.
Thanks, real good advise,thank you

Dom, I'm sure there are a few of us here who have screwed up, paid our debt & GROWN up. I go to ranges rarely & when I do it's as a guest where no background checks are needed (going to one next week). Thanks for your honesty pal. I, too, have always been straightforward about my past indiscretions. That was me THEN. This is me NOW. Not the same person! Good luck brother.
Thanks

I certainly have no issues with convicted felons. I will hire them in a heartbeat. They need a chance to prove themselves and to get a good start back into society.
The same goes for Airguns and archery. I do know that some states will not allow a felon to possess anything capable of shooting a projectile but others have no such restrictions.
I am not too sure that I would go out and advertise a club strictly for felons. That seems to run against the goal of entering the whole of society as a productive and responsible citizen. I think that I would start a club and have as one of it’s charters that any person who can legally possess an airgun is qualified to join. Maybe the non-felon members would gain an education or experience that could change their minds and attitudes about people with a record.
Would be a double win for people with a record.
Real good stuff an food for thought,thank you

I don't know what state you're in but in many cases getting a public range license is akin to getting a fishing license.

I agree it's stupid not only to talk about this, but to plan on making a "club" revolving around the concept. Sometimes we have to adapt to the cards we're dealt. And sometimes that means not advertising your actions & motives to a large audience.
I don’t like it but your rite,thank you

I can imagine a veteran air gun club. But I wonder how a recruitment or acceptance protol could be for the convicted felon club.

Welcome to the CFAGC (Convicted Felon Air Gun Club)! We have some questions for you.

You comitted a crime right?
Yes, of course. The very worst kind.

Was it a felony?
Yup! Was’t no misdemeanor.

And were you convicted?
Well.. technically no, You see, i have done the deed, but the judge…..

DISQUALIFIED! Please come back after a qualified conviction. Go join a regular joe citizen air gun club, peasant.
Lolololol I love it!

Get over it, don't let your undies get all twisted up. You did the crime, you paid your time. Don't let it define who you are. Until I was free of the anger I was stuck in never ending cycle of self defeatism. You are not a victim, you are living the consequences of your own actions. I've been there, live it and have changed for the benefit of self and society.

Im pretty sure a felon can possess an airgun in Wisconsin. Felons can hunt with crossbow or bows, carry knives, etc.
You may be correct. I read one statute wrong, it was for schools but probation requires authorisation by the agent and TRO... guy I know was just advised by his judge that he should probly not have one in his house. TRO are a low hanging fruit here especially in breakups between couples. In some cases they are automatic.

I will have to look again. I know rifle includes airguns and falls under hunting regulations. If it has rifling that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.