Converting Powder Burner Shooters

True, every time I go to the range guys come by to see what I am shooting. They like how quiet they are, how accurate they are, and the fact that you don’t have to clean them every time you shoot. There is a lot of interest until they ask how much. There is great surprise that I paid more for my “BB” gun than they did for their pbs. Had a couple guys get guns, but not many. I think it would be different if we had a good airgun shop close by.

I put my powder burner, 22LR in the safe and decreasing the squirrel with my AA S510 and loving it, puts hole in hole. I am out of the States right now and when I get back next year I will have 1 or 2 Bull pups waiting for me. I miss shooting my pcp.

I too am out of the states until April. Have two new guns waiting and a third sometime in January 

I do love shooting with the PB boys. One time, the Range Master was about to chew out the guy next to me for using my targets. He couldn't hear my gun, so assumed the guy next to me was hitting my targets. Just sooooo different.

And, I have seen others with Airrifles out there. There are a few. We must show the traditionalists three is another way (and have fun doing it)!

I'm a recently converted "powder burner" shooter. I converted so that I can legally shoot out the backyard. I have steel targets setup from 120 to 273 yards. It's great practice for when I can't shoot my powder burners, and it's very satisfying to shoot a little 18 grain .22 pellet at 200+ yards with surprising accuracy! I just bought a pellet trap and 10m NRA targets to get some good group practice/trigger control in.

As much fun as airguns are, they will never replace my powder burners. But they are a great supplement to them! 

A downside to airguns is that they are not near as accurate as my custom "PB" rifles.

1545638150_1841112715c209106792479.61713710_IMG_20181205_155059-01.jpeg

I am a converted powder burner too. I have been shooting 22lr since I was a child. I decided to give airguns a try after selling my high end competition rifle. I have been really impressed. I haven’t found what I like yet, and haven’t found something comparable at 50yds yet, but that was a high bar to my last 22lr. That being said, I am all in. Besides sentimental rifles, I sold all but one of my higher end 22lr, and am looking to sell it now.

I have 25 acres, so neighbors have never cared about my 22lr shooting, but I still love the quietness of the airguns. I feel better about shooting during hunting season, and not messing up hunting around, and not scaring my deer either (even though I can shoot 22lr for 2 hours and then are still here by dusk). If I factor in a $700 silencer, prices aren’t much different for the good stuff. It is even cheaper to shoot airgun ammo (once air is covered). I don’t have to clean as much, and luckily my cleaning supplies carry over. It opens up where I can shoot too, becasue my backstops can be different. 

I love it and I’m glad this site sucked me in.

In decades of attempting to "share the wealth" of the benefits of airgunning with 'real gun' shooters (as many like to put it), I've pretty much given up on converting them.

Nowadays I content myself with just beating them at their own games. And when/if they comment on my shooting skills, I take immense gratification in replying, "I have an UNFAIR advantage... I'm an airgunner! I shoot a hundred rounds for every shot most firearms shooters fire, so get a LOT more trigger-time." 

That usually ends the conversation(s).

It happened to me. I was reloading twice shot brass for my 300 winmag when I needed to borrow something from a buddy with a Cricket. I shot one ragged hole in paper & a whole bunch of metal poppers in his backyard. Then I was hooked. ZxWall sold me an Edgun that equaled it’s accuracy. Then I caught the auto buzz and bought a Steyr off Marlon Layton. And here I am. I still have the partially reloaded 300 winmag lot on my bench.

I still have powder burners and love to shoot them, Im sure I always will. I have competed in highpower and .22 prone and even a few USPSA tactical pistol matches. I just find these days I get the most satisfaction from the airguns. I can't explain it. They are fun, finicky, and frustratingly fantastic! Just can't leave them alone.

Like many others I too shoot powder burners, started when I was a boy. My buddy has been shooting airguns for years and has a nice collection of 10 meter springers, SSPs and PCPs, both rifles and pistols. He also has several Diana 54s. Over the last several years he'd been trying to convince me to try air rifles and shoot some 10M stuff. In May of 17 I bought my first airgun a 48 in .22, then in November of 17 I bought a 34 in .177. He kept telling I need to try the 10M stuff so earlier this year I found and bought a 300S with a LH stock, then I found another one and bought it too, then a 601 in a LH stock popped up and I bought it. I try to shoot one of them everyday, since it's been cold the 10M guns get most of the work.

So here I am with 5 airguns in just over a year and a half and have a 100 yard range set up in my back yard and a 10M set up in my shop. I've built new shooting benches for each range too. Airguns will never replace my powder burners but my powder burners will never fill the spot that my airguns fill. Two different animals for different jobs.

I could care less about converting them,I do tell them and show them,they are not against them ,but most of them are hunters.

As for myself I had plenty of different types of powder burners,but once I got into "air guns' have not bought another powder burner....

I can shoot my air guns in my backyard and that is what I like best...I just love to shot.....anything,lol.

Like many others I too shoot powder burners, started when I was a boy. My buddy has been shooting airguns for years and has a nice collection of 10 meter springers, SSPs and PCPs, both rifles and pistols. He also has several Diana 54s. Over the last several years he'd been trying to convince me to try air rifles and shoot some 10M stuff. In May of 17 I bought my first airgun a 48 in .22, then in November of 17 I bought a 34 in .177. He kept telling I need to try the 10M stuff so earlier this year I found and bought a 300S with a LH stock, then I found another one and bought it too, then a 601 in a LH stock popped up and I bought it. I try to shoot one of them everyday, since it's been cold the 10M guns get most of the work.

So here I am with 5 airguns in just over a year and a half and have a 100 yard range set up in my back yard and a 10M set up in my shop. I've built new shooting benches for each range too. Airguns will never replace my powder burners but my powder burners will never fill the spot that my airguns fill. Two different animals for different jobs.

That sums it up well. They excel at different things, the two are not replacements for each other. 

Airgun:

• If I need absolute quiet
  • Legally shoot in areas which is not possible with a powder burner
  • Make more out of a shorter range. A shorter shooting range (300 yards or less) is much more challenging with an airgun than a powder burner, and will test your skills more. 

Powder burner:

• More accuracy/precision potential
  • More energy 
  • Can shoot at much more extended ranges (1+ mile with powder burners)

An airgun is not better than a powder burner, nor is a powder burner flat out better than an airgun. They excel at different things. Use the right tool for the job.