Converting an steel oxygen tank for pcp use?

Have it hydro tested. Buy a slow fill valve that is compatible.
Not sure what you mean by slow fill valve. I have a yong heng that I plan on using. I am hoping to get the first fill done by the place that hydro tests it should it pass. Still contemplating it as I need to find out what the costs would be to get adapters or switch out the valve to an SCBA type valve.

Do not do it! Don't even think about it.

Oxygen is vastly reactive and dangerous in it's pure form. Even if it is an "old" tank, this is 100% bad idea. Dive shops will not fill it with normal air. There are safety designs in place to keep us dummies from making bad choices.

Re-using cast off oxygen bottles is a very bad choice.

Do not do it! Don't even think about it.

Oxygen is vastly reactive and dangerous in it's pure form. Even if it is an "old" tank, this is 100% bad idea. Dive shops will not fill it with normal air. There are safety designs in place to keep us dummies from making bad choices.

Re-using cast off oxygen bottles is a very bad choice.
Regardless of it being made of steel and rated @ 7500 psi?

When you say "rated" to 7500psi I believe that's the TEST pressure rating, not the usage rating. In my experience (30 years worth) I don't believe that the place that hydros it will fill it with anything other than what that tank is designed for - OXYGEN. They're not allowed to do that ESPECIALLY if a tank has been modified. IF they fill with Oxygen DO NOT USE IT FOR YOUR GUN!!! EXTREME safety/explosion hazard. For safety's sake do it right & get yourself an SCBA tank.
EDIT: Current DOT ratings for Oxygen are only to 5,000 psi so not sure where you're getting the 7500 from. PLEASE don't try to use that tank or you might become IDEADMAN!

Last edited:
Reactions: Smitty911
When you say "rated" to 7500psi I believe that's the TEST pressure rating, not the usage rating. In my experience (30 years worth) I don't believe that the place that hydros it will fill it with anything other than what that tank is designed for - OXYGEN. They're not allowed to do that ESPECIALLY if a tank has been modified. IF they fill with Oxygen DO NOT USE IT FOR YOUR GUN!!! EXTREME safety/explosion hazard. For safety's sake do it right & get yourself an SCBA tank.
EDIT: Current DOT ratings for Oxygen are only to 5,000 psi so not sure where you're getting the 7500 from. PLEASE don't try to use that tank or you

EDIT: Current DOT ratings for Oxygen are only to 5,000 psi so not sure where you're getting the 7500 from. PLEASE don't try to use that tank or you might become IDEADMAN!
Lol. Point taken. Thank you everyone for your input. I have attached a picture of the tank I was asking about.

Screenshot_20220809-115110_Chrome.jpg

That IS the TEST pressure only. Hydrotesting usually brings the pressure up to 3 times maximum gauge pressure & then inspected for deformities. It's NOT the working pressure rating. Look at the BOTTOM of the label. It says: contents: AIR (not oxygen) @ 4500psi. Do you have a picture of the tank valve and gauge or does it not have one? I'm not convinced that's an oxygen tank. I think it's an SCBA! Doesn't look like steel on the outside. Looks like carbon fiber. Post a full picture. I can probably help you out. By the way, tank was manufactured in March of 1988 so no shop will fill or even hydro!

Just saw it on Ebay. Stay away! It's crap. If you have your own compressor you can find decent expired 4500psi tanks that will suit your needs much better for not a lot of $. PM me if I can help.
No worries. The thing that attracted me to it was that it's steel. Which is questionable at this point. At least steel has no expiration on it's lifespan, just as long as it passes a visual and hydro test. The 2 tanks I have now are both Scott 30 min. SCBA's 06 and 08. Still waiting to hear if the recertification to 30yr. is ever going to happen? Again thank you so much for all the help.