• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Continuing to stretch out the distance

I have been shooting at 310 yards with my Daystate Safari .25 using 33.5g Nielsen slugs. Today I was able to stretch out to 350 yards.

46EFAAC2-1D4A-4B54-AB30-8A62EE0AFA42.1606601462.jpeg

EA732BAA-1350-47CA-8BB1-8E6D6EDAD93C.1606601485.jpeg

I put a piece of wood, 2’x4’ to get sighted at that distance. Using a Hawke Sidewinder 6.5x20, I have the magnification down to 8x to shoot 310 yards. I hold over 1.5-2 mils. Stretching to 350 yards I hold over 3 mils. I can’t tell on the board where I’m hitting, but I can clearly hear the impact. I will hang a target in the next few weeks to see what kind of a group I can get. 
Here’s a really crappy picture through the scope with an iPhone. 
E7DF9B96-8378-4081-8C50-F845C73C54E2.1606601880.jpeg

ill post pictures of a target group once I get some time to shoot it. 

Kevin

A couple of questions: 

1. why are you shootings an airgun at 310 yards? Not a challenge, I’m just curious what/why you are doing this? I have a HP Safari .22 ART barrel and 100 yards is truly challenging for me. I can’t imagine even shooting it at 350 yards, nor why would I want too. 

2. Why would you have your scope at 8X for 300 yards? I have a difficult time at 100 yard BR with 6X 24X 50 Athlon at 24X magnification seeing pellet holes. I can hardly see the target bull at 10X magnification at 100 yards.

3. Something is definitely wrong with your holdover numbers!! 310 and 350 yards is a long way with an Airgun. 3 MIL is not correct. 

4. Good luck with any groups at 350 yards! Please post them when your shoot. It is extremely great shooting if you can shoot MOA groups at 100 yards, and most of our best BR shooters will tell you that MOA groups are more rare than normal at 100, especially with wind. They do it all the time, but you won’t see 10 Five shot MOA groups at 100yards too often. I can’t hardly imagine a group at 350 unless you were an experienced expert LD shooter. 

it’s great that you are curious about long distance shooting with an airgun, but 310-350 yards is a very long way for any meaningful accuracy. 

What is your zero distance from which you are holding over 3 mil? At 350 yards, 3 mil is roughly 13 inches. With a 100 yard zero, the holdover would be almost that many feet! Just curious.

I have the gun zeroed at 100 yards. I have the scope adjusted as low as it will go at 100 yards. I spin the turret 4 complete turns, then holdover an additional 3 mils. I believe 4 turns on the Sidewinder is 60 MOA. Turret is in MOA, reticle is in mils. Never understood why companies do that. Scope has a total of about 37 MOA of turret adjustment. I know this is tough on a scope, but the sidewinders have always held up to my abuse. 

Kevin

A couple of questions: 

1. why are you shootings an airgun at 310 yards? Not a challenge, I’m just curious what/why you are doing this? I have a HP Safari .22 ART barrel and 100 yards is truly challenging for me. I can’t imagine even shooting it at 350 yards, nor why would I want too. 

2. Why would you have your scope at 8X for 300 yards? I have a difficult time at 100 yard BR with 6X 24X 50 Athlon at 24X magnification seeing pellet holes. I can hardly see the target bull at 10X magnification at 100 yards.

3. Something is definitely wrong with your holdover numbers!! 310 and 350 yards is a long way with an Airgun. 3 MIL is not correct. 

4. Good luck with any groups at 350 yards! Please post them when your shoot. It is extremely great shooting if you can shoot MOA groups at 100 yards, and most of our best BR shooters will tell you that MOA groups are more rare than normal at 100, especially with wind. They do it all the time, but you won’t see 10 Five shot MOA groups at 100yards too often. I can’t hardly imagine a group at 350 unless you were an experienced expert LD shooter. 

it’s great that you are curious about long distance shooting with an airgun, but 310-350 yards is a very long way for any meaningful accuracy. 

I really enjoy the challenge of stretching the distance out. The gun will shoot MOA at 100 yards. I doubt there is anyway I can shoot MOA at this distance. But it is a lot of fun trying. 
The scope is set at 8x so I can stay on the reticle at such a long distance. The scope is a SFP, I can lower the magnification and stay on the reticle. 
I failed to say that I adjust about 60 MOA from the turret to reach 310 yards. I was just supprised I didn’t need to adjust more the a mil. and a half on the reticle to go from 310 yards to 350 yards. Keeping in mind the scope is at 8x magnification. 
LOL. I was able to hit the board every shot once I was sighted in, meaningful accuracy is a whole different game. Not sure I could get to any decent group. I will definitely try and post the results

Kevin

A couple of questions: 

You gotta try borrowing someone's FX Tarantula and Career II 707 BOTH long guns not the carbine versions and try shooting at 300 yards. They can't be regulated (won't be as accurate at 300 yards already tried adding regs) and only shoot them only in original stock form. OH And quackenbush 50 cal.and the 25 caliber Air Force Condor not too shabby as well. I can only imagine a Talondor 257 and any caliber Texans and hot rodded Condors as well since they go to 500-600+ yards.

Kevin

A couple of questions: 

I really enjoy the challenge of stretching the distance out. The gun will shoot MOA at 100 yards. I doubt there is anyway I can shoot MOA at this distance. But it is a lot of fun trying. 
The scope is set at 8x so I can stay on the reticle at such a long distance. The scope is a SFP, I can lower the magnification and stay on the reticle. 
I failed to say that I adjust about 60 MOA from the turret to reach 310 yards. I was just supprised I didn’t need to adjust more the a mil. and a half on the reticle to go from 310 yards to 350 yards. Keeping in mind the scope is at 8x magnification. 
LOL. I was able to hit the board every shot once I was sighted in, meaningful accuracy is a whole different game. Not sure I could get to any decent group. I will definitely try and post the results

I get the fun and challenge thing, thanks.

There are some threads (AGN forum) and videos (YouTube) on this forum from 68 Whiskey, Edosan, Bob O, Steve 123, and others that you might want to read, as they all shoot air guns at distance. There is a lot of good information here to be observed and or learned, but I think you would find it interesting if you ‘search’ the AGN forum and read through some of these threads. 

You might pick up a lot of good tips and suggestions for your passion. The folks I referenced are knowledgeable and very experienced with air guns, but also shoot at distances greater than 100 yards as well. 

Good luck.
Tom