N/A Contemplating A New Big Bore For Hunting

This is something I’ve been thinking about all year. I have more than enough for my intended use, BUT I’d like to go for something that will is well built, has a range of ammo (and molds) available, a gun that will not be dated in 5 years and will still have available parts and support, rugged and a reasonable fpe range from legal to very powerful (think from hogs to elk or black bear). I haven’t worked out a budget, I’d like to keep it under $2500 if I can.

I know I can grab an AEA Zeus .72 and easily be over 1000 fpe. I like what @Cheplicki typed in his 24” Zeus post regarding tools having specific uses when someone commented on a .72 caliber airgun being overkill for hunting. Great reply. Anyhow, I usually hunt in the piney woods wheee most shots will be will be within 50 yards. I like to get in close to the animals, but I also hunt pasturelands. I also plan to get back into the mountains, so I can see some 100 yards shooting coming into play in the future.

So far I’ve been eying .45s and .35 calibers including:

1) Veradium Air Taurus (.357, but also waiting to see what’s going on with development of the .457)
2) AAA Slayer .452 (production on these appeared to have slowed due to increased demand for the Evol).
3) Western Bushbuck (the Buck and the Pig)
4) Western Rattler .357
5) Evanix Rex .45 (Ibex and another model whose name I don’t recall at the moment).

I’ve also viewed several AEA guns, but I’m unsure about the quality of them and how they’ll hold up long term. Comments and suggestions welcome on this list or other guns that you have experience with and recommend.

I can't offer much in experience with your list, but can say I have been considering a lot of the same. I ultimately decided I'll go on a bit of a spending spree, And get multiple for different purposes. I'd like to try a taurus, want a rattler, and can't decide on the barrel length and caliber Zuess. Figured I'd wait untill after season this year and start plugging away.

I have a Texan in .457 and it has put a lot of meat in our freezer. I highly recommend buying a Texan.
I think probably the single best accessory you can get for the Texan is a good quality meat grinder.
@pnwairgunner I’ve got one that I’ve had for probably about a year and still haven’t shot it. I’m kinda turned off by these guns from many threads that I’ve read about them. I’m in no rush. It may turn out ok, but I want something else. That Rattler has me curious, although it appear to have power limitations. I really want a Slayer .452, but the wait times for several people have been insane. At least now I understand why.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
The new Benjamin bulldog m357 will but out 300fpe from what I'm told... Im really enjoying the 45cal bulldog that's 400fpe...

The rattler is a great gun.. it's a little heavy but shoulders well.. your looking at 270fpe but iv only got it up to about 250fpe..

I would recommend the AEA element in 457
The 24in or 16in Zeus... the bulldog 45 or if u want the traditional feel the bush buck 452

I had an evanix Rex p, the rifle has the same action, just a longer barrel and bigger air tube AFAIK. I wasn't a big fan of the under lever cocking where the trigger guard is also the cocking lever. It had a ball detent that held it closed which had more play in it than I liked. Also a lot of moving parts that are exposed and could potentially get dirt in them.

I had a bushbuck. It is ok I suppose. Mine later developed a lack of power issue that two returns to AOA could not iron out.

The rattler and slayer are about the only air guns that I don't have that I wish I did.

I have been enjoying my AEA challenger ever since I upgraded the valve for 700+ FPE, although it certainly isn't without its faults. Next I'm gonna work on making the trigger pull lighter

Last edited:
@Cheplicki Thanks for chiming in. I am a Bulldog man, so the m357 is likely in the cards, but I want something that’s putting out that 400 fpe upon impact at 100-150 yards. Maybe I’m dreaming, but I’m thinking of something powerful that I can grow with. The stock .457 Bulldog is unappealing to me. Also .45 ammo is more costly to test and shoot in order to get familiar with the gun. I’ve also noticed that the line demarcating a need for a stronger swaging press lies somewhere between .35 and .45. Suffice it to say that I’m leaning towards a .357 at the moment. I’d probably make an exception for a Slayer or a Veradium modded Bulldog in .45 caliber with great power, range, and accuracy.

but I want something that’s putting out 400 fpe upon impact at 100-150 yards.
This statement should narrow up the playing field pretty good right here.
I don’t know of any 357 PCP doing 400ftlbs at these yardages, and most probably are not doing 400 at the muzzle. As far as I’m concerned 357 is lite for elk/bear. Would not be my caliber choice.
I own a couple AEA rifles(Element max .58 & 24” Zeus .72 w/32” .58 cal for switch barrel gun)but Im not so sure their customer service is all that great. I’ve read more bad than good. The Zeus is “HEAVY” and no fun to carry or feed
Cost of the ammo is just part of it… if you don’t like the cost of .45 then you’re certainly not gonna like the cost of any bigger caliber. There is a reason the .452-457cal is the most popular with big bore air gunners. It will do everything you want in the right hands. And the cost verses the return is the best.
I find once you get a big bore hunting air rifle zeroed in and your trajectories figured out you’re not gonna spend a lot of time just out plinking day in and day out. You’ll shoot it here and there and certainly getting some range time in before going out hunting.
You say you already have a 45 Air Force Texan my advice would be to spend some time with that, get used to it, educate yourself and then make a decision after that.
Right now you’re asking for a lot. Just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
@c.wallace_06 You’re right. I’m asking for a lot out of a .357. It may be that I’m asking for a gun not yet built or I may be simply dreaming. I really don’t familiarize myself with the advertised power levels of guns, at least not enough to commit many of them to memory. I prefer to see what they can do in that hands of folks familiar with the figures and the mechanics of the gun. I’ve seen the Bushbuck do some impressive things in .45 and it looks powerful. I just haven’t seen much from many folks hunting with these airguns. Despite what I’ve seen written about the Texan, at least it’s been thoroughly tested over the course of some years. I feel that enough people have been honest in their experiences with the platform. I’m just not enthusiastic about it. Getting familiar with it is sound advice. Eventually I figure I’ll work with it. I really don’t feel motivated to do so in part because I currently don’t have a need for it. This is probably why I haven’t bought another big bore or seriously inquired about a Slayer. I’m hoping something is produced or someone mentions something that I will eventually want or set my mind upon buying.

@Asher Don’t have a swage setup. In my search I’ve encountered plenty of info. Something that stood out to me about a Corbin press (I believe it was the S) is that larger calibers become a lot more difficult swage the bullets. I think it was a leverage thing, but I do recall seeing longer handles offered. At the moment I can’t recall the details of the issue(s) with swaging larger calibers, but I do appreciate reading real world experience with these setups.

Last edited:
I get it... These pics are of me with the Bushbuck carbine and a coyote I shot a lasered 139yards and the target is from my AF Texan Carbine CF .457. It will do this at 100 yards everyday and I have had zero issues.
But it sounds like what your lacking is experience. Find some folks in your area that shoot big bore. Go hang out with them and get familiar first hand.I wish you well in your quest. If you get over to AZ look me up and we will go shooting. I love big bore PCP
Oh and some 72cal Zeus food
And a pic of my Texan
IMG_7403.jpeg
IMG_6710.jpeg
70958611497__54BA0784-7E9C-4E7B-83CB-01F85B23130F.jpeg
65429509222__3F549740-5D14-4B77-9ECB-66725D2EADC0.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the same handle in my s press swage setup whether I'm making .22s or .46. .46 is the biggest that it can go due to the uprights limiting the width of the die that will fit between them, and the dies need a minimum wall thickness due to the pressures exerted. To go bigger than .46, you need a different, much more expensive swage press. The large slugs do take longer to make than small ones by a little bit, but not too much

Reactions: Ezana4CE
I use the same handle in my s press swage setup whether I'm making .22s or .46. .46 is the biggest that it can go due to the uprights limiting the width of the die that will fit between them, and the dies need a minimum wall thickness due to the pressures exerted. To go bigger than .46, you need a different, much more expensive swage press. The large slugs do take longer to make than small ones by a little bit, but not too much

@Asher That’s a reassuring post.

@Asher That’s a reassuring post.
To me there are two key advantages to swaging over casting. The first which is benefiting me literally today is the ability to fine tune length and therefore weight of the slug using the same die. This lets me precisely hone in on the exact weight, to the grain, that is optimal. The other is that I do not need to melt lead, which widens the circumstances under which and work areas where I can make slugs.

Id give your 457 Texan a go..If I can get my .510 Texan 3 moa at 125 yards pretty consistent. Mr hollow point just did a video on 457 Texan TX2 with light lead. Pretty impressive. I'm sure some forum members have some favorite slugs they might share with you. I'll help you if your barrels rough. Id give you slugs but only have .510

@c.wallace_06 Appreciate the invite. If I ever find myself in your neck of the woods and have some time to shoot, I may reach out. I saw this earlier and a .45 may be the way to go if there isn’t a .357 slinging heavy lead that fast.

I’m pretty sure @gendoc has performed some sort of wizardry on that Hatsan, although I’ve read a lot of negative things about that brand. His numbers appeal to me. Something like that may deliver what I was talking about at 100-150 yards.

thanks Ezana, my piledriver is bone stock with no adjustments.
i'm just shoot'n a sized 405gr lyman RNFP @ 883fps for 700+fpe
very accurate within my swamp hunting distance of 50yrds or less.
i've had many others and none has the knock down power to take out the front running gear
like the piledriver!! my shots are chosen because i cant see well enough to blood trail anymore
and i prefer to anchor them quickly. :sneaky: