Considering upgrading from FX Dreamline Tactical (0.25) to FX Impact M3 (.22)

I bought a dreamline in August 2021 as a start to getting into more expensive air rifles. I had a marauder before that. I recently picked up a used maverick sniper .22 a few weeks ago. 

What was missing from the dreamline was enough power to push slugs. The dreamline shot very well with JSB 18.13. Only you can determine if it is worth it to spend money on something or not. I found it was worth it to get the used maverick. 

9D477D05-616D-46F1-83C5-2E559CE5103A.1652751017.jpeg

Maverick 6 shots each NSA 24.8gr .218 at 87 yards with bipod and rear sandbag. I could never get groupings like that with jsb 18.13 in my dreamline. I’m not that great of a shot either. See my 8-9 shot groups with nsa 23gr .218 from the maverick. The 36 shots of 23gr we’re shot first then the 18 shots of 23.8gr.

C4EA13B2-B830-4B97-8A13-9C391CED3782.1652751318.jpeg

these was shot earlier today. So for me it was worth it to upgrade from a dreamline.

It might help to better understand what end result you have in mind. I own several Dreamlines and Impacts and many of them are for a specific purposes. Are you looking to do long range/short range? extreme accuracy/ sufficient accuracy? hunting? small/ large animals or just target? Sharing the answers to these questions might help us better home in on your answer.

Randy

I bought a dreamline in August 2021 as a start to getting into more expensive air rifles. I had a marauder before that. I recently picked up a used maverick sniper .22 a few weeks ago. 

What was missing from the dreamline was enough power to push slugs. The dreamline shot very well with JSB 18.13. Only you can determine if it is worth it to spend money on something or not. I found it was worth it to get the used maverick.

I am lucky enough to have two months to decide. I don’t NEED it :), but it’s a brand new M3 for about 1900USD. And in .22, which i prefer.

9D477D05-616D-46F1-83C5-2E559CE5103A.1652751017.jpeg

Maverick 6 shots each NSA 24.8gr .218 at 87 yards with bipod and rear sandbag. I could never get groupings like that with jsb 18.13 in my dreamline. I’m not that great of a shot either. See my 8-9 shot groups with nsa 23gr .218 from the maverick. The 36 shots of 23gr we’re shot first then the 18 shots of 23.8gr.

C4EA13B2-B830-4B97-8A13-9C391CED3782.1652751318.jpeg

these was shot earlier today. So for me it was worth it to upgrade from a dreamline.

Good groups, but I think you can get them a lot tighter with some adjustments and the right pellet/slug. Have you tried the JSB MK2 heavy pellets? 

Dreamline can be very good with lighter slugs with the proper tune.

That’s true. They have the same barrels so with some modifications there should be little difference in accuracy at 75-100 yards, but the Impact can provide more power. I have modified and tuned my Dreamline to push JSB Knockout Slugs (33.49g) @ 985fps which equates to around 72 ftp. I can probably get some more power, but that puts more strain on the valve, regulator etc. I am currently testing the “Slug liner A”, but have not noticed any big difference yet. I’m going to try out different ammo at 100 yards when the weather up here in Norway allows it :)

It might help to better understand what end result you have in mind. I own several Dreamlines and Impacts and many of them are for a specific purposes. Are you looking to do long range/short range? extreme accuracy/ sufficient accuracy? hunting? small/ large animals or just target? Sharing the answers to these questions might help us better home in on your answer.

Randy

My goal is as consistent accuracy as possible at 100 meters (110y) in some variations in wind and climate, so heavy pellets/slugs. I would like to own both of course, but it has to be a noticeable improvement for me to invest in it. BTW We’re not allowed to shoot a squirrel in Norway even if it was with a .72 cal air rifle lol. .17HMR/.22LR is accepted. Don’t know how old that law is, but there is no hunting with airguns or bows here yet. Cheers!

I would like to own both of course, but it has to be a noticeable improvement for me to invest in it.

As @rappert said, I would consider keeping the DreamTac until well after the luster of the Impact settles. You will then remember all the reasons why you bought the Dreamtac and new ways to turn it into the other "special purpose gun" you "need". You can thank us later.

Patrick

My goal is as consistent accuracy as possible at 100 meters (110y) in some variations in wind and climate, so heavy pellets/slugs. I would like to own both of course, but it has to be a noticeable improvement for me to invest in it. BTW We’re not allowed to shoot a squirrel in Norway even if it was with a .72 cal air rifle lol. .17HMR/.22LR is accepted. Don’t know how old that law is, but there is no hunting with airguns or bows here yet. Cheers!

If you want better long range performance with best consistency in the wind then you need more power of Impact. The .25 impact with 700mm barrel shooting ammo with BC of 0.11 and higher at 950 fps would probably be your best bet right now. The 800mm .25 barrel will be out soon which should be able to shoot up to 1000fps with heavier/high BC slugs. Dreamline won’t be able to get close to that.