• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Considering purchase of FWB 800X FT

Hi Guys,

I really like the look of the FWB 800X FT and how adjustable it is. Lots of good reviews. However, in my research here on AGN, folks are saying the FT model of the 800X experiences POI shifts due to the gun having a two-piece breach block. As I understand it, these posters were saying a scope mounts to the two separate pieces of the breach, which causes the scope to shift a little as the gun expands/contracts from temperature changes. I'm looking at pics of the current iteration of the gun and it looks like the scope rail attaches to the same piece of the breach lock. Did FWB fix this issue, or am I misunderstanding something?

Thanks for the help,

Todd

Image 11-13-22 at 12.42 PM.jpeg

The Universal is the wood stock model and they did release the Field Target Basic which is a wood stock with the same scope platform. They're nice looking. The Universal is nicer looking. There's a site in Germany that has those in crazy colors which I never see on the US sites:

https://buinger.com/Feinwerkbau-air-rifle-model-800-Universal

If you're into that sort of thing. Which I am. But I digress.

I've seen UK HFT guys talking about using the 800x FT and someone mentioning no POI shifts on their 800x FT. But there's not a lot of info about these in general. I've heard they're sort of loud so I can't shoot them. Probably not louder than anything else, but I have tinnitus so I'm seeking the quietest FT gun I can find. But I sure love the looks of the Feinwerkbaus!

The FWB FT models have dovetail grooves cut into the barrel shroud that will accommodate the factory scope riser. Mounting the scope riser to the barrel and using the appropriate rings to mount your optic eliminates any possibility of shifting due to flex between the two receiver sections or the barrel block and barrel.
There are scope risers that span the receiver sections in an attempt to unitize them and eliminate any flex between the sections. I have never used one and can not speak to their effects.

The top guy in the UK is the one who came up with the reach back riser mounted to the barrel block only, and he is a guy who knows stuff. You will probably be just fine set up like in the picture.

It is as important to relieve any contact between the air cylinder and the stock, as well as any barrel supports and the shroud, when it comes to eliminating POI shift in those rifles. Some like to be floated, while some like the opposite. You would have to shoot one to suss out its personality.

Last edited:
Reactions: shausen
It is a fantastic rifle right out of the box the Droop Rail os spot on for a nice 30-yard zero. I have had one since t came out and it is very accurate no excuses accurate .. lol
Thank you guys. So I shouldn't count the FWB out then.

I probably should have said earlier that I'm brand new to field target, and only become serious about airgunning in general this last year (primarily shooting benchrest in local club matches). My current gun is an FX Royale in .22, that I can shoot under 20, with 13 gr or lighter pellets. My scope is good/not great but lacks the ability to accurately range find using parallax. After talking to the more FT oriented folks at my club, I decided to upgrade my scope first (just bought a Sightron SIII FT this afternoon) and save a little more money the next couple of months before buying a new gun for FT. So, I've got time to figure out what I really need/want in a gun for FT. I live near Airguns of Arizona and while I was there a couple times this week, I held the FWB (was for a leftie and I'm a rightie) and it is as sexy looking as it is in the pictures. I also was looking at the Red Wolf with the PRS chassis, which could be outfitted for both hunter or WFTF. Plus, the gun could be adapted for things other than just FT. So many choices.

Todd

I had the FT Basic model in the wood stock.

I sold it because I bought a better rifle.

By 'better' I mean 'better' for me. The 800 was absolutely worth the price of admission, but I never really melded with it. Purely a personal feel thing.

If you wind up with a FWB 800 that is set up correctly for FT, then you will have ZERO rifle related excuses to employ. They are very good rifles.

Interesting, I was initially attracted to the Basic cuz of the more traditional wood stock. After watching a lot of ISSF matches, I got turned on by the other ones.

Todd, I want to go down to AoA. Nice benefit you have there. I might plan a trip next year for other things, and drive over from either LA or ABQ. I want to try something before I buy another rifle.

The best bit of advice given to me when I was in your position was to attend some FT matches, ask tons for questions and ask to take a few shots with as many different guns as you can. You may come away with a different opinion on what you want. After all, “X-ie” is much more important than “sexy”. Uj

Oddly enough, I still have the 10 meter version of the FWB 800 Basic and get along fine with it.
I found the 800FT Basic to be somewhat top heavy in its balance. I tried a Sightron S3, a Falcon T50, and several Hawke scopes on it but could not get comfortable with the rifle.
Like I said, purely a personal feel thing.

Interesting, I was initially attracted to the Basic cuz of the more traditional wood stock. After watching a lot of ISSF matches, I got turned on by the other ones.

Todd, I want to go down to AoA. Nice benefit you have there. I might plan a trip next year for other things, and drive over from either LA or ABQ. I want to try something before I buy another rifle.
When you're hear you should shoot at our club: Phoenix Airgun Club, at Rio Salado Sportsmans Club, the venue where EBR is held each year.

When you're hear you should shoot at our club: Phoenix Airgun Club, at Rio Salado Sportsmans Club, the venue where EBR is held each year.
Funny you mention that. I was looking at the Sonoran Desert Match thing as something I should come see. I want to come and hang out.

Like @Uglyjohn says above. I need to come to see some matches. After my FT training last week in Ashland, I'm pretty jazzed about the whole thing. And to his point, I want to see and hold some guns before I go buying stuff.

Funny you mention that. I was looking at the Sonoran Desert Match thing as something I should come see. I want to come and hang out.

Like @Uglyjohn says above. I need to come to see some matches. After my FT training last week in Ashland, I'm pretty jazzed about the whole thing. And to his point, I want to see and hold some guns before I go buying stuff.
FT training in Ashland?

The 2024 WFTF world championship will be held at our club too. That'd be something to watch, for sure.

See how it fits and handles for you off hand and kneeling. I've only been shooting FT for a short while, but I can tell you it doesn't matter how good a shot you are from the Open position lanes if you can't get a good percentage of offhand and kneeling shots. FT is all about shooting offhand and kneeling, most tournaments are won or lost on those lanes... You'll quickly get to a point where you are as good as the other shooters from bucket and sticks (hunter class for example), and it'll come down to the forced position lanes the great majority of the time... Not to be too much of a smart ass, but at times I wonder (except for the fun of shooting) why we even keep score on the Open position lanes. An option that makes sense if a shooter doesn't have a lot of time is to go shoot the two Forced position lanes, and only use those for actual score. You'll find out that is essentially what is done anyway...

Last edited:
Yes, OK... Cool... Yeah, practice on off hand and kneeling is my weak point. I can shoot well off bucket and sticks, 90%-ish, but the Forced position lanes are the important ones, and I'm less than 50%. You could go to AoA and get a .177 Daystate Huntsman Revere; those are reasonably priced and good enough to win tournaments...

See how it fits and handles for you off hand and kneeling. I've only been shooting FT for a short while, but I can tell you it doesn't matter how good a shot you are from the Open position lanes if you can't get a good percentage of offhand and kneeling shots. FT is all about shooting offhand and kneeling, most tournaments are won or lost on those lanes... Not to be too much of a smart ass, but at times I wonder (except for the fun of shooting) why we even keep score on the Open position lanes. An option that makes sense if a shooter doesn't have a lot of time is to go shoot the two Forced position lanes, and only use those for actual score. You'll find out that is essentially what is done anyway...
Forced position (kneeling/standing) is just part of the game, and I like it that way. They challenge me, and sometimes it's a frustrating challenge, but a fun challenge none-the-less.

To be at the top, shooter has to knock down targets on the open position lanes too though. If you wanna win, you gotta knock down ALL, or nearly all the targets, from all positions. No (or very few) oopsies, mess-ups, or general brain-farts are made by the winners.

Taking out the forced position shots (or almost just as bad, making them standing bipod) is moving the entire field target affair in the direction of benchrest.