• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Considering new glass: MTC Viper Connect -- 32 vs 24mm?

I'm seriously considering one of Connect scopes. What are the advantages and disadvantages between the two versions of the scope?

Seems to me the 32 might be a bit brighter in low light due to the larger objective.
I read somewhere that the 24 may offer better depth of field and therefore might be better for using the scope for 'ranging'.

Mainly I target shoot and plink. Light is normally pretty good and field of view is perhaps less important to me than it might be to hunters.

I'm planning to mount the scope on my Air Arms S200 but I might want to put in on my HW35. I don't think of the HW35 as a heavy recoil but the Connect scopes say they're for "non-recoiling rifles". Would the Connect be compatible for use on the HW35?

Thanks for advice or input, particularly from anyone who has direct experience with the MTC Connect scopes.

Matt

Just fished up this thread from another forum:

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread.php?629628-MTC-Connect-on-a-springer

Mixed reviews on springer mounting the scope but all of the discussion seems to be about the issue of short eye relief and not scope damage from the shock of the springer firing cycle. Comments ranging from "I bled a lot" to "mounted the scope on an FAC spring rifle with no issues".

Seems like the it would be safe to put it on the HW35 especially if the rubber eye cup is used.

"mcdonama"I'm seriously considering one of Connect scopes. What are the advantages and disadvantages between the two versions of the scope?

Seems to me the 32 might be a bit brighter in low light due to the larger objective.
I read somewhere that the 24 may offer better depth of field and therefore might be better for using the scope for 'ranging'.

Mainly I target shoot and plink. Light is normally pretty good and field of view is perhaps less important to me than it might be to hunters.

I'm planning to mount the scope on my Air Arms S200 but I might want to put in on my HW35. I don't think of the HW35 as a heavy recoil but the Connect scopes say they're for "non-recoiling rifles". Would the Connect be compatible for use on the HW35?

Thanks for advice or input, particularly from anyone who has direct experience with the MTC Connect scopes.

Matt
I own a MTC Viper connect 3-12X32 scope and have it mounted on my cricket. It's a superb scope. The zero eye relief takes getting used to but once that's done it's difficult to go back to normal scopes. It's an excellent scope and I've shot some of my best groups using the MTC viper connect. The SCB 2 reticle is amazing. This is far better than the AMD reticle. It's super clear, has excellent mil dot equivalent aiming points ranging from .25 to .50 mil dot intervals thereby giving me much more specific holdover points. This is a boon while shooting long distances. I also use the Sterlok app which has the SCB 2 as a listed reticle. Reads 100% accurately at multiple distances.

The illumination is also excellent for low light conditions and the reticle crosshair lights up beautifully ( like an old digital calculator). It's beautiful. :) 

You can buy a connect mount with it but that increases the height of the scope. I chose the UTG quick detach scope rings for it. I picked the rings with 3 screws on each side which is more durable. This way I can use only 1 ring to mount the scope on my cricket rather than 2. This reduces the weight of the gun as compared to using 2 rings on the front of the scope. Last weekend I shot about 450 shots and the scope held zero at multiple distances ranging from 35 to 150 yards. The POI didn't shift to the left or right (a problem which one faces at times using 2 scope rings) . Took some quick pics of the ring I used and how I mounted it. 

The down side on the scope is that the side wheel isn't very accurate for ranging purposes. I just use it to get the scope to focus. At 150 yards the side wheel is clearer when it reads 120 but this isn't a deal breaker for me since I have a range finder. 

I can assure you that since it's a zero eye relief scope you DO NOT want to use this on a gun with any recoil. A springer is a definite NO. It will destroy the scope or even worse give you a black eye. However for any PCP guns I would reccomend this over the Hawke or Bushnell scopes without a doubt. Hope this helps 

I wrote to MTC and asked about mounting a Connect scope on the HW35 and within minutes I received this response:

"In answer to your question.

The short of it is no it cannot, the scope has zero eye relief meaning the recoil will give you a black eye and also the scope is not technically designed to be on recoiling rifles.

Kind Regards"

Very consistent with what others have said here. I guess if I purchase the Connect it will have to be mounted only on PCP rifles and I will just have to resist the temptation to try it out on the HW!

"Bleemus"Sorry to hijack this thread but I am considering the VC 32 scope as well for my Wildcat. It has a 11mm mount rail. What BKL rings should I get to make sure I can move the scope far enough back for the short eye relief?

Thanks for for any advice!
I used the BKL 300 SERIES SINGLE STRAP MOUNTS. 2 rings on the front of the scope. The double straps will work but you will only be able to use 1 scope ring. 

"Bleemus"Hmmm. Think I found the right one . . .

http://www.bkltech.com/BKL-30mm-4-Long-Unitized-Offset-Mount-p/bkl-354.htm

EDIT. THat one probably Won't work as the back ring will get messed up by the reticle light. 

Hmmmmm.
The back ring on this is too thick anyways. You won't be able to use a 1 piece mount unless you buy the connect a mount which is sold separately by MTC. I prefer the bKL rings since they have the self centring feature. You will be able to mount it as back as you want. 

Hey, it has to be a while since anyone last comment about this post. In 2019, are there better scopes with short to zero eye relief? Also, what's the difference between the MTC Viper Connect — 32 vs 24mm?

Both are the same mate. Just a different design. Have looked through both. No difference. It’s better to get the 24 mm because you get more scope ring options with it given it’s got a tube design straight through. Other zero eye relief scope is the PRISTMATIC also by MTC. Just launched by daystate. Should be available in July. They are smaller scopes. But have the same SCB 2 reticle as the connect. 

I have owned all viper connects in different formats. 32 & 24 (both AMD & SCB rets) - I have stuck with 24 in scb ret.

My thoughts:

32 - looks better, possibly brighter but didn't notice it myself, the anodised sharp edges of the sunshade chip easily, harder to mount,

24 - noticeably better "depth" of view so less fiddling with the side focus, more mounting options and you can get the scope pretty damn close to the barrel if that kind of thing is important to you, slightly lighter too by about 50g I believe, but doesn't look as cool as the 32 and resale values seem to be less than the 32 probably for this reason?

i prefer the scb ret to the amd, and its worth noting the illuminated central crosshairs in the scb is slightly different to the amd one, in that in the amd ret only the cross hairs illuminate while with the scb ret the small square around the ret also illuminates. not a big deal, but the illumination is not the brightest in the world with these scopes and the extra illumination with the scb ret was useful for my eyes.

but both are great scopes - and some prefer the 32 over the 24, try both!

Having had multiples of the 32 version, I have all changed them over to the 24 now. Simply for the much greater versatility of mounting. Using a single mount as shown in one of the posts above, (or using 2 mounts butted up against eachother) while maybe working great (used it myself on occasion this way) is just really not a very safe manner from a purely mechanical standpoint. There is simply more chance of bending and damaging the scope or the mount(s) this way. Maybe not really a concern if you only practice target shooting and putting the gun in the case right before and after the use, but if you’re stalking and hunting etc, having two attachment points is just sturdier at any time. 

As for the reticle, both types are simply great. My personal preference is the AMD (while I only had SCB2 before) as it has open “mildots” instead of crossing lines of aimpoints. I find this a more comfortable way of aim for elevation. The only negative point of the AMD is the almost total lack of aimpoints for windage. (Which could be quite bothering in some circumstances)

As the 32mm lens gathers more light, it’s a little (but only slightly) better use for low light situations (dusk et al).

One other thing not talked about yet is the fixed scope cover on the 32mm. because of the sunshield on top. It severly limits the placing of putting something on like a bubble level if you happen to shoot left handed, or a laser if you’re right handed. Having the cover be able to rotate so it opens up to the direction YOU prefer is a big plus on the 24mm. type.

Bottom line is as Steyr wrote above, both are just great and you can only figure out yourself what turns out to be most favourable for YOU, being it the 24 or 32 in SCB2 or AMD. (I know not very helpful if you’re trying to decide which one to order if there is no physical store in your neighborhood that stocks them both, but that is just the way it is.)

As for looks. I used to like the 32mm. better, as it resembles more of a “traditional” scope (you know: wide on the ends and narrow in the middle), I like the 24mm better now as it looks pretty “bad ass” depending of the type of rings or mounts used! And you know about the “looks” and how that perceives inprovement in performance in planes and racecars too... ;-)

I cannot thank you enough for your responses guys. 24 for me! 

1560451035_1020757665d0297dbb4be83.75488458_030C5728-D9A3-45A4-9D02-88A4E6109A0A.png

You will not be disappointed! Just remember to put your eyebrow against (or nearly so) against the rubeer eyepiece when it is extended (twist to extend/retract like on the oculairs of binoculars) and twist to have them retracted when you have (safety) glasses on or you want a little air between you and the eyepiece.

And if you get the narrow “flashlight” holder picatinny mounts with one tightening screw (they are offered on Aliexpr.) they will fit between the sidefocus/turrets and the lightswitch so you have a super stable (far apart) mounting solution:

1560469349_6491859345d02df651420d4.31675678_79E384B4-3D52-41CE-B782-545CD2073255.jpeg

Or you could use an Aero Precision mount, fits right in there too, very lightweight and super stable:

1560469695_5865640935d02e0bf7377e3.68524700_9712A128-F961-4D59-A00E-B9D5ACC8D77F.jpeg