Considering a Serious Venture into ELR

I have built a couple 1000yd capable powder burners over the years, but I currently only have access to 200+ yards anymore. Seems to reason that I venture out with a different discipline that really is not all that different. In the attached image, stretching from the edge of the grass to the ridge line is roughly 100yds, and from the ridge to the tree line (slightly down hill) is another useable 200+ yards that I can shoot from.

IMG_3973.jpg

I have a new-to-me Gen 1 Marauder in 25-cal that I would like to dust off, seeing as it has the Green Mountain barrel, and I have a Gen 1 Marauder in 22-cal that has a new LW (by Crosman) barrel. Luckily, shooting the 100 yards would be nice, as I would be close to my compressor air source, but the 200 yard range would require me to pick up a carbon tank for portable air source. I do seem to remember the 25-cal being a bit of a wind hog.

The cooler than normal temps outside right now, has me chompin-at-the-bit to get out and start tuning. I do not have any kind of a selection of ammo for these rifles, would you mind pointing me in the right direction?

Last edited:
How much are you looking to spend on your new "adventure"?

There are a few different options out there that you would be able to look at. If you are going for distance you are going to want slugs for sure. Due to pellets being drag stabilized you wont get to those distances with any great accuracy. Slugs will fly more like a traditional powder burning projectile. They can be very consistent and capabile of reaching out that far. Heck we are shooting out past 200 yards in my area with a .22 Panthera.

There are a few options out there for you, you just need to decide which one you want or what looks best for you.

Reactions: DRAGON64
How much are you looking to spend on your new "adventure"?

There are a few different options out there that you would be able to look at. If you are going for distance you are going to want slugs for sure. Due to pellets being drag stabilized you wont get to those distances with any great accuracy. Slugs will fly more like a traditional powder burning projectile. They can be very consistent and capabile of reaching out that far. Heck we are shooting out past 200 yards in my area with a .22 Panthera.

There are a few options out there for you, you just need to decide which one you want or what looks best for you.
Although I have some Marauders in the stable, specifically .22 and .25-cal, the FX Panthera 600 gained my attention. Not sure what caliber yet, as shot count generally rules, but may not be as important for ELR, if I have a good air source.

Talking philosophy of use (FX Panthera); Will the Crosman cut .22 cal. LW barrel handle slugs accurately? From my research, I can only find that the LW barrel cut by/for Crosman is a 1:18 twist(?) To me, this barrel may be better suited for pellets. If that is the case, I will need a pellet with a suitable BC for long range.

Second, FX Panthera 600 or 700, what situation are the barrel lengths best suited for? From a aesthetics stand point, the 600 appeals to me more... But the 4 extra inches of the 700 may net a slightly faster slug, on a straighter trajectory(?)

I have a gen 1 .22 cal. rifle that I am building by replacing the factory barrel with a LW barrel. Keeping is simple, I will tune using the BStaley method. More than likely shoot from a single shot tray.

Ultimately, I will be purchasing an FX Panthera outfit. I am working with a forum member here to get something pulled together.