Considerations for used PCP

So looking for advice in asking questions for buying a used PCP. I'd like to get into the sport and get a used PCP Air rifle for plinking in the back yard. What sorts of questions should I be thinking about when looking for a used PCP Air Rifle?

Can you respond with a list of questions or considerations that one should consider? I'll update the main post so that anyone else in the same boat can see.

Yeah and or maybe it's just something their not interested in anymore and want to sell it for a new project. I know that's the case with me but I do want to sort out what to look for to ensure I'm just not buying someone else problems. If it was buying a used car. I can come up with a list of 50 things to check. But I have no clue when it comes to a used PCP gun. High pressure seems like potentially could be dangerous.

I would say, when buying used you should be clear yourself on what you are looking for in terms of what woogie said above.

As far as the things I would consider when making a purchase of a used item:
- Condition. What do the pictures show. Ask if it's been dropped or damaged ever.
- Does it hold air? Are the any leaks?
- Is there anything I need to know about the rifle you haven't mentioned yet?
- How many shots per fill?
- What pellet and speed is it tuned to?
- Do you have pictures of any targets or groups at distance?
- Do you have any wiggle room in the price?
- Are you the first owner?
- Have you or anyone before you modified the gun? If so, what was done and who did the work?
- Why are you selling the gun?

These are things I've either asked, or been asked, when buying/selling used. IMO you want to be 100% comfortable with making a purchase before committing on a used airgun from the classifieds. If anything feels off to you, go with your gut instinct and move on if necessary.

You may save a little money buying used, but my first PCP was bought new to have a warranty. I strongly suggest buying new. If you buy a new PCP rifle and it comes leaking, you can simply return it for a replacement. If you buy a used rifle and it arrives leaking, you have to either figure out how to fix it, or send it off to someone for repair. That could make the whole experience a turn off.

As much as I've enjoyed both fixing and breaking things, it pains me to say, but you should buy new. PCP technology isn't complicated, but it's an esoteric endeavor that doesn't share a lot of features with anything else to which most people have been exposed. Buy a new, simple, robust rifle, such as a RAW, Taipan Veteran, Weihrauch HW100, or FX Royale (no other FX rifle). Watch some videos and read some articles, and slowly begin to tinker. Just my opinion, and my wife says I'm always wrong. Have fun, and bring money.

What I gathered from your post is if you don't know how to qualify a seller and don't have experience with pcps, then you probably aren't ready to repair one either. Same spot most of us were in when we first started out to take the plunge into pcps. Maybe you should consider a NEW pcp. There are several great and affordable pcps on the market. You can even have it turned for your needs. BONUS: You get a warranty with a new one. On the other hand, if you're stuck on used, don't obsess about the gun so much. The seller is your assurance of exactly what you're getting. You can resurch the gun to know what it offers as well as what a fair price would be. You made a reference to used cars. You can only tell what's wrong now. Can't predict what will break tomorrow. Same with all things mechanical, including pcp airguns. Anyway, welcome to the pcp world. Bill and Addi

Reactions: Jez and FIDI_G
What I gathered from your post is if you don't know how to qualify a seller and don't have experience with pcps, then you probably aren't ready to repair one either. Same spot most of us were in when we first started out to take the plunge into pcps. Maybe you should consider a NEW pcp. There are several great and affordable pcps on the market. You can even have it turned for your needs. BONUS: You get a warranty with a new one. On the other hand, if you're stuck on used, don't obsess about the gun so much. The seller is your assurance of exactly what you're getting. You can resurch the gun to know what it offers as well as what a fair price would be. You made a reference to used cars. You can only tell what's wrong now. Can't predict what will break tomorrow. Same with all things mechanical, including pcp airguns. Anyway, welcome to the pcp world. Bill and Addi
Update: just checked your profile. I should have read it before I chimed in. Hope I didn't offend you. Bill and Addi.

You are talking about your first PCP for back yard plinking. There are a number of great options below $500 new. You ought to learn basic maintenance and how to fix leaks. You can't count on others to fix air guns, although sometimes you'll find somebody, it's a very important part of the hobby.

Keep in mind this forum has a lot of people who are ultra dedicated to the hobby, and therefore you get a lot of recommendations for $2000+ guns right off the bat. IMO you will have just as good a time plinking and shooting paper in the back yard, 99% of the accuracy, and learn to service your own air gun without worrying about breaking something very expensive... with something like a $350 (new) Air Venturi Avenger.

I mainly shoot my Umarex Guantlet 2 (25 + 30 caliber) and AEA Challenger Pro 30. Like I said, you won't find a lot of love for anything sub $2k on this forum, but I'm 100% satisfied with the performance of my gear and it compares favorably to a lot more expensive things, if you don't mind forgoing the gold plated faucet handles.

I'm pretty sure there's an Umarex Guantlet 2 25 caliber advertised as barely used at all on the classifieds for cheap right now. There's also an Air Venturi Avenger bullpup going for cheap also seemingly barely use. That's the route I took and no regrets.

Looks good to me. I have one in 25 and have enjoyed it a lot. Mostly plinking, shooting paper at 40 to 80 yards and killed a few varmints with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: PumaCarl
For your first pcp, it would be best to make out a list of things that you want in an air rifle. Design, handling, function, accuracy, intended use, your budget, ability to work on the tune, needing modified or not for more power, historical problems with the particular model, customer service or warranty with the manufacturer, what caliber and type of ammo you want to shoot, does it shoot the ammo that you want to use well, is it easily convertible to other calibers...

I appreciate the advice. Im a tinkerer at heart so for me if I dont mind having to figure out whats broken and how to fix it. I often look for "projects" other peoples problems. So this isnt a big concern for me. I'm mechanically inclined and think I can figure it out with a bit of research and youtube.

I also dont want to go into this blind hence the post I want to be as informed as possible on what to look at as this is all pretty new me. Im also the type of person that would rather have a used lexus than a new Toyota. If that makes sense.

I appreciate the advice. Im a tinkerer at heart so for me if I dont mind having to figure out whats broken and how to fix it. I often look for "projects" other peoples problems. So this isnt a big concern for me. I'm mechanically inclined and think I can figure it out with a bit of research and youtube.

I also dont want to go into this blind hence the post I want to be as informed as possible on what to look at as this is all pretty new me. Im also the type of person that would rather have a used lexus than a new Toyota. If that makes sense.
Yes I absolutely get it. That was why I referred to your profile. Your not a newbie after all. Buying a premium used makes sense for you. I will ad that I stand behind my opinion that the seller is the key to a good and fair transaction. You can ask all the questions you can think of, but you may get mislead by a dishonest or irresponsible seller. If the seller is golden and knows the gun, you won't need to conduct an interview about the gun. Deal with a A1 seller, get what you're promised. Let us know what you purchase. I wish you well, Bill and Addi.

Reactions: FIDI_G
So looking for advice in asking questions for buying a used PCP. I'd like to get into the sport and get a used PCP Air rifle for plinking in the back yard. What sorts of questions should I be thinking about when looking for a used PCP Air Rifle?

Can you respond with a list of questions or considerations that one should consider? I'll update the main post so that anyone else in the same boat can see.
I have bought two used air guns from this site that had problems not told to me. One guy made up for the problem and one did not. At least one seller with a huge positive feedback flat out told me to buy from a dealer if I wanted compensation for a lost gun due to the shippers fault. He was not going to be bothered with filing insurance claims so I would be out my money until and if the shipper paid off. Buy new.

Reactions: mroblong