• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Congratulations to Thayne Simmons winner of the Pyramyd AIR cup!

PAC doesn’t separate pros from average Joes where as at the other major matches they do separate into two groups? I thought it was interesting that second place was won by an amateur at PAC and I believe there were more amateurs sprinkled in the top 15 places too. @Centercut did you just calculate the pro division at the other matches? If so, I wonder what the spread is amongst amateurs and how that compares to the pro class?

Reactions: Centercut
PAC doesn’t separate pros from average Joes where as at the other major matches they do separate into two groups? I thought it was interesting that second place was won by an amateur at PAC and I believe there were more amateurs sprinkled in the top 15 places too. @Centercut did you just calculate the pro division at the other matches? If so, I wonder what the spread is amongst amateurs and how that compares to the pro class?
My point in all this is to point out that score alone is NOT an indication of how well someone did at these 100Y BR tournaments. Like this year, everyone was all goo goo over the 239 at RMAC 2023 (1.7% margin), yet the 229 at EBR 2022 was MUCH better relatively (5.4% margin), or about three times better - not even close.

No, I didn't separate it out for good reason.

For RMAC, the Pro and Sportsmen do not shoot at the same time, so that wouldn't give good data. At EBR they do shoot at the same time, but the Sportsmen shoot at the end of the range with the berms out about 50 yards (lanes 1 to 12), so that doesn't give apples to apples comparison either. At PAC, they all shoot at the same time under the same conditions, so it makes sense. And just because someone calls themselves an amateur, that means either zero or less than zero (I didn't see two classes for PAC, where was that delineated?) I'm not looking to compare that, but feel free to take that up as a project if it interests you.

Additionally, you really can't compare Pro to Sportsmen at the RMAC and EBR anyway, since the qualification process is against each other, not Pro to Sportsmen.
In RMAC 2022, there was this argument that the Sportsmen had better scores or at least equivalent as the Pros int he finals. But you have to read between the lines. Firstly, the qualification scores for Pro would have eliminated all but the top two Sportsmen. And then, in the finals the Sportsmen shot in zero wind during that timeframe when the wind shifts from up the mountain to down the mountain. The Pros shot in MUCH tougher wind conditions...
At EBR 2022, the top Sportsman would have finished 11th in the Pros, and only a handful would have even made the finals.

Last edited:
Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
Maybe I should have stated Sportsman instead of amateurs?

I don’t know many of the pro shooters but ( I ) visually classify Pros as shooters with lots of advertising on their jerseys and I see them congregate together in teams. All of the Saber Tactical, FX, Skout, etc shooters had matching jerseys on so I assume they are pro shooters at PAC and probably at other events. They also all were seated together in teams at the awards banquet. Maybe I am wrong for making that assumption but that is what I observed.

I met another shooter and we kind of connected and spent time hanging out. He had mentioned that he had previously shot at EBR, RMAC, as well as previous PAC events. He wasn’t a sponsored shooter and had hoped to shoot in the pro class at those other events but couldn’t because those spots were sold out in minutes after going live. We both wondered if that was by monetary or corporate design and to keep wannabees out of the pro class? After shooting in those other events, he said he liked the PAC format best because the Pro’s and Sportsman all shot in one class and the overall atmosphere wasn’t as “clickish” as other events are.

Reactions: Centercut
Good points. I think if I COULD shoot Sportsman I would.
Also, just because a shooter has a jersey doesn’t mean he’s a good shot. It just means he’s part of that Team.
To get a spot at the big events you need to be at your computer at the web site ready to push the button the second the clock ticks to that start time. That’s how I did it prior to Team Centercut and always got in.