Confused..

Ok...from the beginning of my AGing experience I have been "told" the most effective way to shoot a Springer was with some sort of "artillery" hold . I get it and it has worked for me. I was also told bipods were a no go for Springer's. ....My problem is with some videos I've watched of an attached bipod system on a couple of Springer's. The grouping was good and it looked really functional. I am really tempted to get one ....retired and watching $ so I was wondering if there is a consensus on this. Thanks.

I personally dont have an issue with shooting most springers regardless how I hold them, however, different holds will produce different POI. My HW's, FWB 124's, and Diana's will shot off of bags and are acorn accurate 50 - 60 yards. if you plan to hunt with your springer I suggest you sight in and practice with the type of hold that will be using while hunting. The better, more efficient you will become.

There are Springers then there is Nitro Piston, 

It's not so much the "hold" as it is consistency 

The effect of you and the gun doing the same thing every single shot that is what is going to give you the accuracy you are looking for, 

You can shoot off a stick or bag as long as you hold the gun the same way and let it ride the recoil the same every time

The bipod may or may not work well. In my opinion it's probably not ideal for a springer, especially for any distance shooting.

The "artillery hold" is mainly for shooting offhand, standing. Semi firm grip on the trigger hand, loose hold on the forearm. The thumb is on one side, four fingers cradling the forearm are on the other side. Moderate pressure of but stock on shoulder.

If you "bench" the gun, same thing, but rest your off hand (the one under the forearm) lightly on the rest, and the gun should be lightly supported by your off hand. Let the gun recoil, don't blink, keep eyes on the target, watch for the hit. You can usually "call your shot". That is, if you're paying attention you can tell where the hit will be, when the shot goes off.

I've never had good accuracy just resting a springer or gas ram airgun 's forearm on a rest. There is too much jumping around for good accuracy. I would assume the same is true for a bipod. You could try it, but I'm thinking it would work better for a PCP.

I agree with the posts claiming consistency is the key. Shooting with a bipod can surely give good accuracy, because everything is nearly the same every time you pull the trigger. The problem may come when you shoot at the bunny in the bush and are holding the stock in your hand. The hold is completely different in the gun's "eyes" and the projectile will likely experience different mechanics/vibrations as it leaves the barrel. 

I bet most people can shoot better from a rest...springer or not....just do not clamp the rifle down to anything,in other words let it recoil.

Just today I was using a new to me HW97; when I changed my hold the the point of impact changed one 1"..

I takes a lot,a whole lot of shooting to become really good at off-hand shooting....uh butt what great satisfaction when you do get good at it.

I personally dont have an issue with shooting most springers regardless how I hold them, however, different holds will produce different POI. My HW's, FWB 124's, and Diana's will shot off of bags and are acorn accurate 50 - 60 yards. if you plan to hunt with your springer I suggest you sight in and practice with the type of hold that will be using while hunting. The better, more efficient you will become.

This

Lots of factors affect spring gun accuracy.

If using a rest, put the gun in the same position every time on the rest. Move it front to back to see.

Some guns don't like the artillery hold and like to be held tighter. Experiment with that.

Different pellets

Even the cloths you wear and how tight you hold it to your shoulder and cheek rest.

Experimentation is the name of the game. I built a rest after trying a few different ones that made all the difference in the world.

Shot with my hw30s .177 today, a gun that i have not used for some time, i even forgot what pellet she likes best, but bought with me some tins of jsb in 7.33gr, 7.87gr and 8.44gr, i had a note that the jsb 7.33gr was better than the 8.44gr so i started with them, 15m and 30m, 15m was only a big hole at the right of center bull, so i shot at 30m and the impacts was a little spread out with flyers both south and north, but there was some wind so i thought that was the case for the flyers, but i changed pellets to the 7.87gr, 15m same thing just a big hole but maybe 1cm above the center... with heavier pellets... At 30m i had to hold between the center and first mildot so i adjusted 3 clicks down to get it more close to the first mildot since it was shooting high at 15m also, first shot at 30 aiming 1 mildotlow i hit high, what? Next shot i hold dead on and i hit the center.. Next the same, and the next.. New target at 30 and I hit lower and lower, then in the bull again, then to the right hmm started to think the scope was loose, but i tried to hold it different and when i hold the gun tight i was way of, when i barely touch it and let the gun do its buisness i hit to the right, loose at the shoulder and not holding the grip just touch the right side and the thumbs on loose on the back of the grip and the left thumb on the left frontside resting the gun in the v of the triggerstick, dead on, shot after shot, if i don't follow this i can be 2" of... Airguns are mysterius creatures... 

I have found over many years of airgunning with springers that hold sensitivity is unpredictable. My first spring gun, a Winchester 427, was indifferent to hold. My Beeman R9 which is far more powerful is very hold sensitive. My well tuned FWB 124 is quite powerful and is indifferent to hold. At times it seemed to me that hold was important as each different position caused my trigger actuation to change slightly. At times stock weight seemed to matter. 

Adding weight to a gun changes its resonant frequency. When I experimented by adding weights to different parts of a gun I found that hold variations became important. Different holds changes the way a gun vibrates. This would affect accuracy,

I know of no one who has put as much into this question as Tom Gaylord so until I hear of experiments more in depth than his I will go with his conclusions.