• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Confused...... 16 Joule (11.8fpe) or 20 Joule (14.7fpe)

Good Day, I'm a newbie here and I've enjoyed the last few months reading everything that I can find about this sport. I would like to say "Thank you," all y'all for sharing your knowledge in this forum! Sadly there seems to be no one, at least that I can currently find, within my area that currently participates in air rifling, but I'm hoping to change that.

I'm interested in purchasing an air rifle with Field Target shooting in mind. It seems that many, if not most, acknowledge that Springer air rifles is where one should begin. I've been looking at Walther LGU's, Air Arms TX200 MKIII, and Weihrauch HW97K. Being left handed I'm now leaning towards the HW97K .177. 

My question is this: I can purchase the wood stock model of the HW97K in either 16 Joule (11.8fpe) or 20 Joule (14.7fpe). Which would be the best fpe model for my purchase to use as a Field Target Springer? Thank you in advance for your replies!

Rick

Hi
IMO if first airgun. It doesn't need to be a springer, modern systems can be gas ram such as iniated by Theoben. This does not need an outside air source. There is nothing wrong with a PCP as a first airgun also. Select a simple model , FX make a PCP using a single stroke side lever to pressurise the gun. So the cost of scuba bottle filling doesn't apply. I do not agree with sentiment it must be a springer. After all modern rifles are all breech loaders but nobody suggests one should start with a black powder muzzle loader!
The two power levels you mentioned are typical in springers . The 16 joule (12 ft lbs) is a UK legal limit for non licenced airguns , the higher figure 20 joules (16 ft lbs ) is the current French non licenced limit . Studying accuracy and oerformance data from both those power levels shows very little difference in hunting and only slight improvements in holdover for target shooting. Normally springers at higher energy levels became noisy and uncomfortable due spring recoil. 
I am not sure what the target shooting (Field Target or Hunter Field target) limits are in USA but in UK competitions are below 12 ft lbs limit.

Think your first gun/scope will not be the last you buy as your requirements / knowledge will change. So one normally ends up with a cupboard full!

safe shooting

I would get the 12 ft lb and did. My reasoning is the lower power can be used in hunter or WFTF (or open if anyone in your area shoots that class). If you get the 14 ft lb you are limiting yourself to the hunter or open (no one shoots open piston) class. The 14 ft lb will gain you very little in trajectory, but will be a little jumpier. Smoothness is very important in both accuracy and being able to see your misses. Go shoot some rifles before you commit, there is a steep learning curve with this sport. Choosing to shoot a springer when the courses are being designed to challenge PCP shooters is a bit masochistic. 

If you want to shoot field target or silhouette(yes we still shoot airgun silhouette) your choices named are great guns to begin with(and stay with) although PCP is fine as well. Most of the guns you named are being used in Field Target and silo. One of the posters mentioned gas ram guns and I can tell you that nobody is shooting gas ram guns (or CO2) in field target or silhouette. There obviously is a reason for that!
Just for the record, our Field Target matches/courses ARE NOT just designed/set up for any particular group. We pride ourselves in designing courses that are for all shooters and all skill levels and in fact many times the springer shooters do as well, if not better than the PCP guys. Admittedly PCP guns are a little easier to shoot but then you need all the stuff that goes with them like tanks, pumps fill hoses,etc.
Best wishes,
Rick Bassett
Falls Twsp. R & P Assn.

Sor.ry I did not totally answer your question. The power level you choose simply determines what divisions you can shoot in in Field Target. If you choose the 16joule version of gun then you can compete in the WFTF division because it has a 12 ft lb energy limit. With the 20 joule version you could actually compete in any division except WFTF. WFTF stands for World Field Target Federation and AAFTA stands for American Airgun Field Target Assn. The rules are a bit different. The complete AAFTA rules can be found at aafta.org
It's all a little confusing at first but not really a big deal.
Good luck
Rick b.

Rick,
​If you are set with shooting a springer, a lot of veteran springer shooters shoot 16J power level (or modify their rifles to shoot at that power level) since it provides the smoothest shot cycle and higher potential consistency-accuracy. 
​Good luck with your foray into field target.
​Try before you buy.
Regards,
Leo

Once again thank all y'all for your responses. I came to a conclusion and finally ordered my first quality air rifle. I just ordered a Weihrauch HW97k .177 11.8fpe. from Krale. They have the wood stock version available for purchase at this power level. Now the waiting for it to arrive to PA......... yes I'm excited for this journey in air gunning to now begin.
Rick