• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Confirmed lethality of Vulcan 3 700 mm in .30 Cal and JSB Hades on white tail deer.

The owner of the ranch I came asked me to take this deer I If had the chance. He did not liked the genetics.

And the deer came to 50 yards from where I was hidden.

I waited to be a little bit facing to right in order not to hit the scapula and I made the shot. The Hades ended among the skin and the chest of the oposite side.

After the shot the deer walked 35 yards and bedded to die. I waited 25 minutes and went for it. The deer was dead.
D190E2BE-0894-4A72-84DD-946D0FA6DBEB.jpeg

Last edited:
Better to make the “kill shot” than recording it… Either way, you are showing what can be done with an airgun by a good shooter. Kudos to you.
You are right Luis!

One of the main goals of this hunting trip was to confirm that the Vulcan 3 700 mm in .30 shooting at 120 fpe was enough to get a clean kill on a white tail deer. And the answer is: absolutely yes !!!

It clearly did not expand the way the Hades is designed to expand, with the 3 petals opening up. I guess the cavity got plugged with hair and it essentially acted as a normal diabolo pellet, mushrooming just a little. Which is probably a good thing, because if it had expanded, it would've probably failed to penetrate the way it did. How did the wound channel look?

Last edited:
Reactions: mtnGhost
It clearly did not expand the way the Hades is designed to expand, with the 3 petals opening up. I guess the cavity got plugged with hair and it essentially acted as a normal diabolo pellet, mushrooming just a little. Which is probably a good thing, because if it had expanded, it would've probably failed to penetrate the way it did. How did the wound channel look?
Internally it was a lot of blood, but the heart was not reached.

Last edited:
As far as expansion goes, this is about the same as I have seen when testing then in ballistics gel. At "normal" pellet speeds, in gel or animals, the Hades do not open up or petal out like they do when shot at high "slug" speeds. What they do for hunters at either low or high speed is create three hydrostatic shock waves at those hollow cavities that disrupt tissue and cause hemorrhaging. This picture is an example of what these types of hollow cavities do in game at higher speeds. It is from the Lehigh Defense Extreme Penetrator bullet in gel (picture from the web). There's some pretty cool videos and images of this newer bullet design. I think this style of slug is the way to go with deer because it damaged like a hollow point but penetrates better, and with a heavier weight of slug should exit so there's two holes.

Screenshot_20230113-020619~2.png

Dang I wouldn't have imagined the hades pellets would have penetrated as far as it did. Here I am worried if a head neck shots would be appropriate with my .30 maverick at 150 FPE with 80 grain slugs lol.
Are you saying that your Maverick is pushing a long 80 grain slug at 920 fps (to get to 150 pfe)? If so, that is pretty sweet.

Are you saying that your Maverick is pushing a long 80 grain slug at 920 fps (to get to 150 pfe)? If so, that is pretty sweet.
Yes sir. Well the 80's are traditional slug and are more like 915 fps. However the 78 grain boat tails are much faster and have produced up to 152 FPE.

Reactions: Airgun-hobbyist