Concerns with Prophet 2 Magazine Location Realized Today

Since the day I received my RTI Prophet 2 I did not like the location of the magazine. No matter how I held the gun, the magazine was either right under my ear or my eye. It is uncomfortable and raised some "back of my mind gnawing at me" safety concerns the more I shot it. I was getting small puffs of air in my ear or eye every shot and have been wanting to get a cheek rest that completely shields my face from the magazine area.

Well, today I was testing some ammo, loading single shot from my indoor bench and I think my head kept moving farther back on the gun with each shot. After a few rounds, I pulled the trigger and apparently the cocking handle was not fully forward. When the hammer fell I got a very loud, MASSIVE blast of air right into my right eye. Fortunately I always wear safety glasses so there was no damage that I can tell other than I am guessing I will have a black eye under the eyeball. It was pretty painful even with the glasses deflecting most of the blast. Once I had composed myself and checked for blood on my face, I went to a mirror and I fully expected, by how it felt to have some visible damage to my eyeball and / or the skin around it but there was just a slight amount of ruptured capillaries in the white of the eye like you would see with a bad case of hayfever.

From today forward, I will be laying a thick rubber mat over the magazine area until I get a well built cheek rest that will totally shield my face from any air coming out of the chamber area. I am also going to triple check to make sure the cocking mechanism is fully forward and latched!

Ironically everyone has to have forward cocking and hates rear cockers. I have never pulled the trigger with one of my rear cockers with the lever open. But I have plenty of times with the beloved forward cocking guns.

The lever was not to the rear. I had hand fed a single round into the chamber. I can't imagine not fully closing it when doing that, but my only explanation for what happened is that the lever was just short of in the full forward stop position. None of my other bullpups concern me with a possible rearward blast of air since the chamber is not near my face like it is on the Prophet because of the length from the butt to the breech. I would prefer that the breech was well behind my face, but no way to do that with the Prophet.

Don’t forget to put some tape on that barrel screw. They tried to cure the problem by stuffing an oring down in there but within a short time my P2 was puffing air. Tape is the cure.

I remember reading about that in the past but forgot to do it! The O-Ring is pretty pointless and hard to get in there correctly to boot. Thanks for the reminder!

So glad you were wearing safety glasses! Whew!
I am as well! I was shooting it without a moderator on it so I had ear protection too. My ears would still be ringing if I didn't have those muffs on.

Reactions: Ranchibi