• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Compressor

Only you know what your needs and budget actually are but I would guess that "mid-level" would suggest something from the AV/Hatsan Lightning/Hill EC3000 at the bottom of that price range across the Omega line and up to the Omega Turbocharger and Daystate LC110 at the top. That spans from about $1000 up to about $2000 in cost. Seems some of those may be hard to find now with the Omega Turbocharger and Hatsan Lightning apparently not in stock anywhere. The Hill seems to be the current "hot ticket" and is very new and has less information available. I think the AV compressor is still in stock at PyramydAir at around $1200 and maybe other places as well. The next level in cost seems to move one to the true breathing air capable dive compressors with cost starting around $3000 with many options available at that point and upwards. You'll get lots of opinions from this site which has lots of experienced users with various compressor types. 

Lots of information on the sub form. Opinions from A to Z. If I was starting over and was expecting to be in the sport for many years. I’d try to find a good used Bauer breathable air (scuba) compressor. That’s top end stuff $4000 - $6000 

mid level. Daystate. $2000 to $4000 

lower end but very popular are the Chinese compressors running $300 .

You get what you pay for . They all will require maintenance and repairs. This is the expensive part of air guns ( well it’s all expensive ). 

I don’t think there is any magic in this. Getting 4500 psi CLEAR air and in a reasonable time is not a walk in the park.
Many of us are into this pretty deep and I think the CLEAN and humidity free air is often over looked. I don’t like the process of damaging expensive guns running a potentially inferior compressor.
The other side of this I don’t know how you would determine what’s good enough.

Im using nitrogen different subject. That’s been covered too. Read up and make your best choice 

Bandg and Bubblerboy64 covered the price points pretty well. If you have a certain budget in mind it will help to narrow down the options.

All compressors will produce moisture when squeezing the air to usable pressures for airguns. Don't skimp on the filtration/drying of the pressurized air they produce.

And this seems to be a big part of the gain in the higher cost of the "dive compressors"-you not only get a much higher likelyhood of proven long term reliability but you also get clean dry air from the unit. Not to mention potentially higher resale if you lose interest or must sell for some reason. As noted above, read all you can find in the Compressor subforum and then set some limits and make a good choice.

I researched and tried to buy a Bauer used but couldn’t find one, so I looked for new and even that was was hard to find one and when I did it’s was priced way out of sight. I tried to buy a Airetex but they never Answered or returned my phone calls or emails. I was about to say the hell with it and I called Alkin in NJ and they answered everything that I asked and they sent me info on the compressor I might want. So I finally decided to buy it from them and then they were out of the 220V motors, but they called the following week and said they received there motors so I bought one from them and they shipped the next day and I received it 3 days later. I bought the AkinsW-31 vertical, I love it a couple other shooters in my area took a look at mine and they are going to buy one as well. They are kinda pricey at $3900 but it’s better than driving 1 hour to get air from the dive shop and only get 4000 to 4100 psi every time.

Zipcode 19464 in PA a 220v Daystate compressor with 8 hours run time for sale local pick up only $1600.00 go get em! Posted on AGW classifieds (old yellow forum now called Airgun Warriors) been posted there on 5/11 seller claims lots pages of Good feedback. I don't know who it is and i tried to join and im waiting for confirmation. Good Luck. Yo!

Zipcode 19464 in PA a 220v Daystate compressor with 8 hours run time for sale local pick up only $1600.00 go get em! Posted on AGW classifieds (old yellow forum now called Airgun Warriors) been posted there on 5/11 seller claims lots pages of Good feedback. I don't know who it is and i tried to join and im waiting for confirmation. Good Luck. Yo!

Something about that sounds a bit fishy. Isn't that the $3000 Daystate Type 2? If so, and something isn't broken, that would be a major good deal if one could get to it.

Took a look at it. Appears to be either an older factory version of the current Type 1 (if such existed) or a Type 1 that has had the motor changed from 110 to 220. FWIW.

I recently purchased the Hill EC3000 from Pyramid Air for $1000. It's a great compressor and worth considering.

It is interesting and visibly seems well made. Certainly worth consideration. Many questions have been asked about it and it seems most have not been answered yet. I bet many are watching for more information and reviews after longer use.

I recently purchased the Hill EC3000 from Pyramid Air for $1000. It's a great compressor and worth considering.

I’m under the impression that this hill compressor is intended to be a direct to the gun ONLY compressor. Is that correct?
One thing to consider IF ? you can live with that you certainly could get by with a much cheaper arrangement.
You could save by not having a tank and all that goes with that. It depends on how you use the gun (or guns) Life would be much easier on the compressor as well. If you have a generator you could power the hill off the generator . That might be a solution for some.

I’m under the impression that this hill compressor is intended to be a direct to the gun ONLY compressor. Is that correct?

See https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/air-venturi-ec-300-compressor/#post-656441 but bear in mind too they're already recalling these for repair based on some forum posts it seems. Something about a loose nut something something firmware upgrade something something...

LMNOP - yes there is a recall. The one I found first was bloke in Germany. They turned the repaired unit around in 9 days. To secure a bolt in the control board. It wasn't an issue with the 'compressor' design itself but the ancillaries to said unit. Link to the video the gentleman made after receiving the unit back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdJFLuEugok

Even taking all the initial adopter issues into account, this unit is still on the top of my list. No track record and this initial stumble notwithstanding. 

YMMV

.... My local pcp airgun shop has the alpha carette compresors for 1300 and the hill ec-3000 will probably cost

about 1100 by the time i ship it here. WHATS THE BETTER BUY?

For what it's worth the Alpha Carette compressor is made in China. Some of the parts look like those of my Yong Heng.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=Q6pxOBwMISg&feature=emb_logo

I am not sure which one is better but the first thing I will check is which one is backed by reliable support from the vendor / maker. You don't want the compressor to become a paper weight if it breaks down. In a recent thread a member has reported his ec-3000 recalled by Hill just after a week of use. A while ago, another member has reported his brand-new Daystate compressor developing problems and was subsequently replaced by the vendor twice but the unit was still bad. Things like that happen sometimes, high-dollar compressors are no exception. Just make sure that you will be able to get sufficient support.

It seems that the Alpha Carette is much more powerful, has better means for moisture removal so suitable for filling tanks. The Hill is more basic and is good for filling rifles only. No idea about their after-sales support. 

You will get tons of opinions on compressors. You will get tons of opinions on the oil to use! It is important to consider what your shooting frequency is and how much air you use. If your like me and only use a lot of air mostly after a major repair or when tuning a new gun, consider a Yong Heng. Downside it's made in China, but occasionally, you can find them on Ebay for $200 to $225 delivered. Add to that a $80 water stripper and your in business. No this may not be for you if you plan on shooting a 1000 rounds a week as some folks do. But for the occasional top off of your 30min tank it's hard to argue against the results.

Where are you located? Did you kill the hog in your pic with a airgun?

Thank you everyone for the helpful info. Can i get a couple more opinions. My local pcp airgun shop has the alpha carette compresors for 1300 and the hill ec-3000 will probably cost

about 1100 by the time i ship it here. WHATS THE BETTER BUY? I have heard good about both compressors.

A no brainer to me-ANYTHING that can be purchased from a "local" provider has immense potential advantages. Especially with the cost that close and if your "local" shop is well established and will service the unit if necessary.

My Hill EC3000 worked perfectly until it didn't. For some mysterious reason (I handled it with kid gloves and I even had it placed on a vibration pad etc) the pressure relief valve popped off and pressure no longer built over 70 bar. This is after just 2 hours. Looking at up the problem online, others have had this issue when pieces of metal from the compressor get loose and get in the line. I didnt't want to take a chance with messing with the valve and ruining the machine or one of my daystate or FX riles, so I sent the machine to Hill/Air Venturi. UPS lost the compressor so I have to decide to go with aother Hill EC3000 or the small Omega Air Charger for a few bucks more. I don't need mobility and I only fill air rifles and spare bottles. Any thoughts?