Compressor?

It depends on how much money you are willing to spend. Not always, but in this case, the more expensive....the better the results. If you have the money, get an Alkin and don't look back. The cheaper compressors will either cost you more money in the long run due to more maintenance or they will simply fail causing you to buy something else.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
Is there such a thing as a reliable long lasting compressor? I keep reading about this one or that one that only lasted 3 months. The ones that I think might be good aren’t available. Thanks
Stating your budget would help garner more focused answers. @Keith2324 has given you some good and concise advice.

To answer your question, yes there are. Breathing air quality HPA compressors made by Bauer and Alkin have great reputations from a longevity standpoint. They also have a high up-front cost. This is top of the line gear for us airgunners ranging from around $3000-$5000 new (not factoring in shipping costs). On the entry-level end I’ve read of a few AGN members report getting a few years of use out of Yong Heng compressors at about 1/10 of the cost of a top tier compressor. Just be sure to study what others have done who claim to have run theirs for years with minimal issues (using ice water, fans, the correct oil, intermittent run times, etc).

Whatever you get be prepared to do some sort of maintenance work on your HPA compressor at some point. It takes time to learn, but extensive digging into info on compressors has the potential to pay off via peace of mind in the long run because you will be much more likely to make an informed purchasing decision by understanding what you’re getting yourself into when you part with your hard earned money. My suggestion is to take your time, read, and watch videos so that you have a firm understanding and realistic expectations.

Last edited:

Here is the one I have and it has been running for over 1.5 years....I have only filled air tanks not rifles using it. The wife and I both shoot and we go through a lot of air. I bought mine from Tuxing for about 200 less then Amazon, but looks like you can get a warranty through amazon which might be worth it.

There is a pretty long thread on this compressor with most people having great luck using it.

Tony P.

Reactions: ThomasT
I’m not spending $3-5k, I had thought that $1500 should be tops. What about a Hill EC3000, or Omega Air Charger, Omega Super Charger or what? Of course the three I mentioned are not available.
I felt this way also. For years I had the original Shoebox compressor. I thought I was big stuff when all I had to do was turn that little sucker on and watch it go to work instead of me grabbing my hand pump. Then one day it decided it had enough. Back to the hand pump I go. So I decided to get a Yong Heng. It blew up the first time out. That was it for me. I got an Alkin. I no longer have to hand pump and I no longer have to wait for hours to fill my tank. Eight minutes and I'm done with a top-off.

No one here will tell you how to spend your money. But there is some good advise out there. Do your research, find what's going to work for you and make a purchase. Anything we buy is this airgun hobby comes with caveats, pros and cons, naysayers and devotees. Whatever you pick, just know this community has your back if anything goes awry.

Keith.

Reactions: JungleShooter
If I only needed to fill the gun I would give this one a try, but I also need to fill a 75cf bottle.
I filled my 88 cf bottle with my Yong Heng when I first got it. Gave it a rest every fifteen minutes and it did the job just fine.
As mentioned in the post I linked you to with a fan blowing through them and a bit of ice in the reservoir it will likely fill it in one sitting.
although I would not fill the bottle from empty all of the time I do top it off regularly takes 10 to 12 minutes from 3k to 4.2K

From what I have seen the EC 3000 will last about as long as a Yong Heng.

Last edited:
Reactions: Healthservices
You might give Jim Sheldon a call, 316-992-0505, he is located in Wichita Kansas. In April he told me he had a Walter Kidde compressor, electric, with auto shutoff but no filter tower for $850 before shipping. He didn't say whether it was the 2.4 CFM or the 4.2 CFM. They are nice compressors, 4 stage and continuous duty rated. The only downside to these compressors can be the availability of parts. Jim has some, and a company in Texas has some parts.

DW

"Boosters are interesting, I have a 240v 10+cfm shop compressor." I purchased an Altaros Booster in 2016 , fill only 2 large (98, 100? ) SCBA per month but never any issue yet at all and zero maintenance. I should replace the few seals just due to age I'm thinking and the videos they post show it is simple indeed. I am only using the least costly "hotdog" lowes compressor. Well worth the investment for me. If you needed a LOT of air FAST an alkin or such.

John

Whatever you get, make sure you read up on the dos and don'ts here. And if, you can read between the lines. I think you will find out that many of the mishaps are due to user error. Or even due to the use of misinformation. Some from here, some even from the manufacturer. Also note that the some of the compressors have been around a while so some that had issues before have had updates over the years. So do your research and take proper care of your compressor and support equipment.

Allen

I've only heard bad things about the GX compressor on this forum. I got my unit off Amazon for around $200, yet my one has been going strong for a year now, filling many large SCBA tanks.

I created a little Arduino app that turns the compressor off and on, to keep the temperature below 40c. That ?might? be the source of my relative success. The pumping is slow but gradual.

Reactions: DarkWolf
I've only heard bad things about the GX compressor on this forum. I got my unit off Amazon for around $200, yet my one has been going strong for a year now, filling many large SCBA tanks.

I created a little Arduino app that turns the compressor off and on, to keep the temperature below 40c. That ?might? be the source of my relative success. The pumping is slow but gradual.
Sounds like a great project or mod! Does it have a way to relieve the head pressure so it is not so hard on the system when it cycles back on? Also note what you are doing is also not what the compressor was originally designed to do so of it does self destruction its all on you.

Oh, here is something that someone said that was good about the gx compressor.

Allen