• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Compressor vs Multiple Tanks

I use my pcp guns for my business, my business supports my family, I can not afford to have any service failures, ever. My local dive shop takes a week to fill my tank to 3,200 psi, sometimes more! So I need a way to take control and not depend on when my local dive shop is making a run to their other location that has the compressor. Also they can only fill to a maximum of 3,700 psi.

Compressors costs $2,000 to $3,000, if I get a compressor I would probably get the more expensive/reliable Bauer. A new Al 88 cubic foot tank costs $160.00 each. I want a compressor, I don't know why, I just want one, but cost justifying a compressor vs buying 3 more scuba tanks, is what I am struggling with. 1 tank will probably last us 2 weeks, worst case scenario, I think, I do not know, I am guessing and that makes me nervous.

​I have been using springers for decades and pcp's are better for what we do. Bought a Brocock Contour XL S6 in .22 six months ago, got my Wildcat in .25 two weeks ago, i.e. I have very little experience with pcp's. If I could get some more experienced and/or smarter individuals input on my "cost justification dilemma", it would be greatly appreciated. My wife runs the finances of our small family business and unfortunately she makes a lot of sense, "Why spend $3,000 when $650 will address all the business needs and not cost us any more time or inconvenience of consequence?" God I hate it when she makes sense!

​Thank you,

One thing to consider is your drive time to the local Dive shop. I recently moved and it was now taking about an 1 1/2 hours out of my day to go fill up the tank. Got old real quick. Now it take minutes to fill my tank. So if the dive shop is close, it might make sense to purchase 1-2 extra tanks that can be rotated through the shop so you always have a full tank. If you are far away, you may find yourself too busy and end up with three empty tanks when you need it most. 

I see the basic Shoebox Max compressor starts at $649 then you need a basic oilless compressor and some hose and fittings. That could run you another say $150. Now for a total of $800 start up costs you can fill your tank or top it off at your convenience. It also saves you the time and cost of traveling to get your tank filled. In the near future you could spring for a good moisture filter. I think having your own way of filling your air rifles would save a lot of stress too. Bill

http://www.shoeboxcompressor.com/product/ 

"Winged"My wife drives to the dive shop, 25 mins away, so drive time is 0 for me.

​As far as the shoebox is concerned, I don't care for it: requires a second compressor to feed it, low low cfm rate and it needs a dryer.

​Thanks for your input

Winged the reason I suggested the Shoebox was from your post it seemed you did not need a lot large volume of air quickly. I'm pretty sure the cheapest model of Bauer is still going to be close to $4000. Have you ever checked out the website Air Tanks For Sale. He sells Bauer and some other compressors in various price ranges.

http://www.airtanksforsale.com/ 

The other thought would be do you have a local fire station that would fill a 4500 psi carbon fiber tank. You would get many more fills than your scuba tanks.

Reactions: hunter440
"Winged"A new Al 88 cubic foot tank costs $160.00 each. I want a compressor,

I'm going to guess you are talking about Aluminum 80 cf tanks which match that price point, and that the shop is overfilling to 3200 psi. These tanks are usually 3000 psi rated. You should look into the high pressure steel tanks, specifically the 80 cf size, which is a sweet spot for size and weight (people often call these HP80). These tanks are rated for 3500 psi, which will get you more more fills than Al tanks, and take advantage of your local shop's max fill pressure. They are also smaller and a couple pounds lighter than Al80s. Used price for a HP80 is ~$160 and new ~$280. 

If you picked up three and rotated, your point of lowest air supply would look like this: one tank at home, one tank ready to pick up, one tank needing to be filled. Each time your wife would be dropping one tank off and picking up one tank. Worst case minimum available air (not counting your existing Al tanks) will be one tank and maximum will be two tanks.

A compressor is an investment of both money and maintenance time. At some point if you are shooting A LOT it makes sense, but If your wife has time to drive to the shop every few weeks, then its one less thing you'll have to worry about maintaining. I don't know your specific air usage, but if your wife is currently going every two weeks at worst, and you added a couple high pressure tanks, that should give you a significant air supply boost.

Here is a handy calculator you can use to run some numbers. Start by clicking "United States" link at the top to set the units of measurement to US default: https://sye.dk/airgun/