Compressor use hack

Here is a tip that I read about someplace that works so I will pass it on . Use a portable fan in conjunction with your compressor to keep it cool while filling . While topping off a bottle with a cheap compressor I watched the temp quickly rise to 50 and climbing . I put the portable fan on it and the temp quickly dropped to 42-43 and stayed there until I decided to shut it down .

The biggest problem with yong heng cooling is that the water only travels in a straight line smaller than a pencil in one side of the second stage cylinder.
You see the temperature climb as the aluminum cylinder becomes heat soaked.

Yh -.jpg

Wonder if anyone ever pre-chilled a YH or similar compressors by running the ice cold water without the compressor running to get the cylinder below room temperature in advance of compressing air. Heck, maybe for people who have a spare fridge, put the whole compressor in the fridge for an hour.

I have.

Mine is in the gun room in my garage. Not heated and cooled but extra insulation when I had it built. The temp reading on the Yong will say 17-20 in the wintertime. 5gallon bucket of cold water fresh out of the spigot outside can get the thermometer down to 8-11 within just a few minutes. Ar that temp, crank it on and it'll run for 18-22minutes and not get above 48.

Summer time I a completely different story. Room gets warmer. Water starts warmer. Yong Heng gets warmer when ran. It'll go to 60 within about 15 min in the summer.

Thats why I said it's all about temp gradient with the Yong Heng. Heat WILL be generated. Start cooler and it doesn't go as high.

Condensation is your enemy. Ice-cold water is your enemy, not your friend.

The YH is at home in the 34ish C range and the heat keeps the condensation down.

I guess it depends on where you're talking about condensation.

I take advantage of the process of condensation with my other fill system, (Altaros Booste), by making sure the feed air is as cool as possible.

Cold air holds less water. And cooling air makes the water vapor come out = condensation. I'd rather deal with condensation on the outside of my tanks (or before the air makes it to the tanks) than the inside.

Heat is the killer of Yong Hengs.

Wonder if anyone ever pre-chilled a YH or similar compressors by running the ice cold water without the compressor running to get the cylinder below room temperature in advance of compressing air. Heck, maybe for people who have a spare fridge, put the whole compressor in the fridge for an hour.
Been doing that for 3 years, posted my Standard Operating Procedures several times. Pre-chill room temperature compressor to 18 degree C range before starting, then, after each gun filled, let cool down to 18 degree C range again before filling another, replacing ice bottles, as needed. After filling session let water pump and external fan run till all is cool to touch. WM

With my gun room situation, I would have to cut my run times down to about 12 minutes in the summer If I used a closed water system like so many Yong Heng owners do. Closed system water temp would be ambient temp. The fresh cold tap water allows me to extend run times.

As for cooling the air itself, that's a hard proposition with the Yong Heng. It does its thing so quickly, that the outgoing air is going to be warm unless you're sunning a loop of it through a freezer or something else off the wall like that.

It's much easier to keep ingoing and outgoing air cool with a booster system. The first stage (shop compressor) and low pressure lines allow the air to cool substantially prior to ever making it to the high pressure booster. I've got multiple water blow outs on the low pressure side of my booster system and it's absolutely crazy how much moisture comes out of air when only compressed to 125psi on a day with humidity in the teens.

you can make a DIY air cooler , cheap chest cooler or 5 gal bucket some hose or tubing and a fan . Oh and ice .

Exit air is cool , feed to compressor intake and blow across cylinder head same time . This has been posted b4 .

Thanks Beer. I was meaning the high pressure output air when I was talking about the difficulty of cooling air.

The Yong Heng doesn't have a hose feeding it like a booster system....I supposed it could be devised but a guy's gotta draw the line somewhere.

Thanks Beer. I was meaning the high pressure output air when I was talking about the difficulty of cooling air.

The Yong Heng doesn't have a hose feeding it like a booster system....I supposed it could be devised but a guy's gotta draw the line somewhere.
just point the exit from the cooler at the intake area of compressor ? make a smaller one 2#coffee can size (mini cooler) and a second fill hose through it , to cool compressed air before your moisture filter and going to the gun or tank ?

compressed air feed hose just looped through a small container of ice and water to Moisture filter then second fill hose to gun or tank .

Last edited: