• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Compressor to get for "lightweight" use

Had a CS3 which I've just returned. Ran 4-5 times. Filled a Gauntlet from 0 to 3000psi. Supposed to get to 4500psi, no matter what, auto shutoff at 3000psi. Could not fill Akela from 2500 to 3000psi. Contacted mfg (no support from Amazon seller), and they wanted me to disassemble (brand new unit) and take a shutoff wire from the gauge to test the gauge. Filled out return info 5 min after that.

So I need something that will handle up to 4500psi (future "growth"). Light use, these are target/plinking/small varmint use - I'm not filling bottles, and not shooting hundreds of shots when I shoot. Shooting once or twice a month.

What can be recommended in the $400-500 range (or less), that will last a few years for this purpose? And, if possible, post links to your suggestion(s)

Had a CS3 which I've just returned. Ran 4-5 times. Filled a Gauntlet from 0 to 3000psi. Supposed to get to 4500psi, no matter what, auto shutoff at 3000psi. Could not fill Akela from 2500 to 3000psi. Contacted mfg (no support from Amazon seller), and they wanted me to disassemble (brand new unit) and take a shutoff wire from the gauge to test the gauge. Filled out return info 5 min after that.

So I need something that will handle up to 4500psi (future "growth"). Light use, these are target/plinking/small varmint use - I'm not filling bottles, and not shooting hundreds of shots when I shoot. Shooting once or twice a month.

What can be recommended in the $400-500 range (or less), that will last a few years for this purpose? And, if possible, post links to your suggestion(s)
Honestly I think you just got a bum one, going to happen at this price point once and a while, How many guys have you read about returning brand new guns because they leak, only to get them back and have no further problem. This forum is full of guys with CS2's & 3's doing exactly what you want. Five minutes ago I filled my Avenger to 4000 with my CS@ no problem. I think your auto shutoff is kicking in early and if you got a replacement it would probably work fine. These GX's seem to be very good compressors for the money. Just my 2 cents.

Cs3 sucks…known to break down where the cs2 is a work horse. Under 300? Not that hard to find although they just sold out and you will have to wait for them to come back in stock. Get another 30 bucks off with their discount code.

I fill my 45 minute Scott tank about once a month to 300 bar with my Yong Heng. I do not run it past about 60 C, however, or much longer than 15 minutes (probably 20 at most). I think the answer to longevity is likely more temperature related or run time related than it is pressure related. The Yong Heng is noisy but fills guns really fast and handles bottles fine with good cooling and oil. It is not very portable but for home use it works great.

The fill time will be pretty closely correlated to the electrical draw of the compressor. The CS2/3 is about 350 Watts. The YH is about 1800W. So fill time is about 20% of the little ones if you use the YH.

I just bought a CS2 on Amazon for $279 and it fills my Avenger to about 4000 psi and then the relief valve on the compressor opens. These budget import machines have a mediocre level of factory quality control. If you need to have it work without tinkering on your part you at least need to buy it from a dealer who you know upfront will fix it for you and you will likely need to deal with the shipping etc. if that is not what you want you are going to need to move well up the price scale and buy from a dealer who will check it out before shipping, likely for a fee, as Pyramid offers to check new guns for leaks before shipping.
My CS2 will do that unless I tighten down that relieve valve as hard as I can.