Compressor Storage Location

I'm considering the purchase of a decent compressor which will cost me well over $5k by the time it is delivered to me. I'm in Canada so I need to account for cold temps and snow. This means I will likely choose the 220VAC version for inside use. I have 220VAC in my garage which today sits at 42F but dips close to freezing at times. My workshop has 220VAC all thru it but it is unheated and will match ambient winter temps. My other option is to add a 220VAC receptacle next to my panel in my basement. How do these compressors function at cooler temperatures? My basement also has a dehumidifier running year round as required.

Colder temps are better for compressors because of humidity reasons. The colder the air the lower its ability to hold water vapor. The colder the air, the drier it is. However, watch the oil viscosity index. Too cold may make the lube oil too viscous. Remember Boyle's law. If you charge a bottle to max pressure and then the temp rises, the bottle will become over pressurized and could possibly blow out the safety disc in the tank valve and I can assure you that can be exciting!

I have owned and operated many scuba fill stations as I once owned a scuba store. They work just fine with cold temperatures. Scuba compressors are more concerned with air quality so in that case ensuring the inlet is in a good clear location to feed good air is needed. In the case of a compressor used for PCP you are more concerned with lower moisture. If you can start off with air that has less moisture then that is less load on your air drying filters post compressor. 

If you're forking over that kind of dough then you're getting a professional compressor!

That means you have proper water dissipation/filtration as is and have no "use" for cold air.

I would store it under a table in you heated home and run it from there once in a while when you need a tank replenished.

Less condensation and less water accumulation during and especially after work.

The problem occurs when you cross the dew point (10-14degC depending on airpressure and humidity), then condensation will occur.

Cold climate, compressor heat up then cool down = dew/condensation. That occurs even in the compressor oil! Most all compresor cylinder innards are iron and will rot given moisture and time.