• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Compressor recommendation for light-moderate use

My old Shoebox finally died, so I am in the market for a new PCP compressor. I do not shoot high volumes. I have Guppy tank that I take with me when I am out, and a scuba size tank that I keep at home. I fill them maybe 3 times a year for the Guppy and once or twice a year for the larger tank. I typically fill them when they get to maybe 3200psi, and top off to 4500psi.

In looking at the available compressors, it seems like the portables are not really up to filling tanks. On the other hand, compressors in the Air Venturi 4500 class seem like overkill, but I am not finding anything in between. I would appreciate any guidance on what to get for light to moderate use, and also on what brands/models have proved to be the least trouble.

My old Shoebox finally died, so I am in the market for a new PCP compressor. I do not shoot high volumes. I have Guppy tank that I take with me when I am out, and a scuba size tank that I keep at home. I fill them maybe 3 times a year for the Guppy and once or twice a year for the larger tank. I typically fill them when they get to maybe 3200psi, and top off to 4500psi.

In looking at the available compressors, it seems like the portables are not really up to filling tanks. On the other hand, compressors in the Air Venturi 4500 class seem like overkill, but I am not finding anything in between. I would appreciate any guidance on what to get for light to moderate use, and also on what brands/models have proved to be the least trouble.

What’s your budget like? In your situation I think for infrequent use (5 fills per year) a Yong Heng compressor might be worth looking into. 

yong heng is actually quite durable if used with common sense .. light intermittent duty is rught up its ally and it can fill large tanks with breaks, a small tank in one shot ... it tops my 3L tank from about 2900 to 4500 in 10mins, and thats about the cycle you want to keep it under .. problems with a yong heng come when people shoot through 20 500 tins a week and run it everyday nonstop on 80cf tanks fir 45mins lol ... yeah they need a gas powered scuba fill unit ...

Tell us more about this dead Shoebox. What model/version and what killed it to the point of unfixable?

Somebody found this and shared it here in the last few months...

https://ocolabs.com/extractors/

Very Shoebox looking device for essential oil extraction but reports of it being a source of cross -compatible parts if you just need consumables. 

It’s pretty old, I got it in the 2nd wave when they first came out, with the mechanical shut-off and noisy chain drive. I have orings etc to rebuild the pistons and have done that a few times, but this time something seized up. At first, I thought that something had come loose and the drive chain was slipping, but after I tightened it up, I realized that something has seized. I haven’t tried to disassemble it yet, not sure if I will. It seems like a good time to move up to something newer.