Compressor raising pressure but not filling the gun (auto shut-off in a few seconds)

Hi from Greece.

I bought my first PCP compressor from Amazon in order to fill my two Kalibrguns (Cricket and Argus 60 ).
61sEHp+WTuL._AC_SX679_.jpg
Amazon

Until now I used a Hill MK5 hand pump using the kalibrgun fill probe strait to the pump hose (1/8 BSP).

In order to use the quick connect of the compressor I bought a 1/8 bsp quick connect adaptor

QC03-1000x1000w.jpg

I connected the Kalibrgun fill probe to the above connector using Teflon seal on the threads to avoid leakage.
When I turned on the compressor (the bleeding valve was closed) the pressure raised and when it reached 300 Bar in a few seconds the compressor shut of for security reasons. The guns pressure was about 180bar.

So it is obvious that the gun valve didn't opened at all. This happened and with the Argus also

For testing purpose I turned on the compressor without connecting the filling probe to the gun and from the probe the air was bleeding synchronous to the pump piston movement with a constant and high flow rhythm.

So to check if the filling probe was for any reason problematic, I disassembled the filling probe from the adapter and I connected it again to the Hill MK5 and did a test fill.
Everything was normal and the gun started to be filled as normal.

-> So, can anybody reply to this question why that strange situation happens?

Thank you at advance

If it were mine, assuming both gun and compressor gages are functioning properly, I would connect Argus fill probe to your adaptor. ( if you use tape be certain it does not extend past end of threads to avoid plugging) then open bleed on compressor fully. Start compressor. At this time compressor gage is zero and gun gage is 189 bar. SLOWLY close bleed while monitoring Both gages. When your compressor gage reached 180 bar it should begin sounding more loaded as it tries to overcome gun check and 189 bar. As you close bleed final 1/4 turn both gages should rise. If Only compressor gage rises and not change on gun the Replace complete hose assembly from compressor as it could be internally collapsing. Good luck keep us posted.

Reactions: WorriedMan
Sounds as though you started compressor with bleed valve closed. That is NEVER a good idea if you're looking for longevity from the compressor. That doesn't address your problem but thought I'd give you a heads up. If possible, always start & stop with bleed valve open, not with compressor under pressure. Dead head diagnostic requires shutting down under pressure but don't get in the habit of that under normal circumstances. Good luck.

ive had 'probes' that werent machined to the correct dimensions before and would put an oring on the internal port .. if your using a probe, get a light and measure how deep the fill port is in the hole, and then measure where the orings land in relation to the flange on the probe .. could be as simple as 'not' inserting it all the way in ... as long as the port is between the orings it will be golden ..

Reactions: MrP
Thanks again all of you.

I will try to work with open bleeding valve first and partially close it.
I double checked that the filling probe is fully inserted to the gun as when I use it with the hills hand pump so it is impossible to have a problematic probe.
The connection with the adapter is unclogged too as I had tested the compressor without connecting them to the gun.

So I will try your above proposals and I hope everything will be fine at last

Reactions: WorriedMan
What did you find as the problem?
Totay I am going to try filling the gun by followind these steps.

1. Connect the compressor hose to the gun
2.. Open the bleed valve of the compressor
3. Turn on the compressor's fan and next the compressor pump
4. Partially close the bleed valve so the pressure rises and equals the gun's inner pressure
5. Close a bit the valve so I can hear the pump working harder to overpass the gun's pressure
6. Continue closing a bit at a time the bleed valve and hope that the pump will finally fill my gun