Compressor oil which is the correct one?

Running a Jim Shelden Walter-Kidde 4stg 4500psi compressor, 4.2cfm, when he was making and selling them. Didn't use it for a few years and had a stuck 4th stage piston. After figuring it out and fixing it, no more issues (required zero parts). It was recommended to run it every two weeks just to get the oil heated up and burn the moisture out of it, and of course to change the oil every year.

If you have a local airport, you should be able to get this and if not mail order has it for $20 a quart BUT... Need to flush out the old oil before switching. As some oils don't play nice with others.

Mobil Jet II Turbine Oil | MIL-PRF-23699F​

IMG_20220620_162732082.jpg

Reactions: Centercut
One of the things not discussed when doing an apples to apples with a Yong Heng using RP, vs a YH sing also RP but didn’t make it past 6 months, is nobody talks about how much their compressor is used.
Yeah, I, too, can say I haven’t had any problems using RP on my two year old YH, but if I’ve only turned the compressor on 7 times for 10 minutes each in two years, how is that a fair comparison to the guy topping off a tank from 3K to 4200, once a week, with a YH using RP, when he says his YH only lasted 3 months?

Throw in detailed time frame use, so all can make better decisions on what to do or buy.

I’m not posting this to say RP is the correct oil. I’m with Biohazard and all the rest that use the proper oil for these high pressure compressors.

If you think about it, you go to Home Depot and cruise the compressor isle it makes sense they would have the proper oil for the low pressure compressors they sell. No way you’re going to find a gallon of Seco oil in a Lowe’s or Home Depot isle. And vice versa- you go to an Alkin dealer, you think you’re gonna see RP or Dewalt compressor oil on their shelves next to the Alkin’s? So what’s that tell you?

Last edited:
Reactions: qball
WorriedMan, I think you are spot-on with your thoughts. I think run temperature and also what folks choose as a max pressure to run their compressors up to are the biggest factors. Probably people that choose to run up the the full 4500 PSI are also at a higher temperature when they shut down and those two variables are what causes the detonation. I believe the best way to make any of the 'non commercial' compressors live a long and happy life is by doing everything we can to 'baby' them just a little bit.

Chip
I think that's great advise. Just because your car can go 120 MPH doesn't mean it will last the same number of miles as driving it at 60. The low end compressors lend themselves to this analogy well. I'm getting my first YH this week and don't plan to fill much past 4,000 psi.

I have a Tuxing twin cylinder, It's the heat that what we should avoid. I don't let mine get over 140, I was told 180. recommend oil- ISO 95 compressor oil. I use Kobalt, 16-KS CO is a high preforming synthetic compressor oil. I have had it for about a year, fills my 25 cal avenge 4100 psi, AEA challenger 3800 psi and the air tank 4400-4500. All i have done is change the oil often and keep the temp down,

IMG_20220407_010209664 (1).jpg

Ok I keep hearing Royal Purple has caused detonation because it,s flash point is to low. Post above said
RP has a flash point of 460F as SecoLube 500 has 520 F. Ok I got to wondering about that. I just checked
& the sec,s I found show Royal Purple to have a flash point of 271C which is 519.8 degree Fahrenheit ?

Some one is wrong! Fly. This is crazy I went back to make sure on my info, and on RP site they indeed posted
a flash point around 240C I knew I just read a Flash Point of RP 271C & 519.8 degree Fahrenheit. What ???? So I did
more looking. the site I found the 252C at 519.8 was posted on Zorro tools which it a large tool company that sells
all types of lubes. Then I checked some more & on another royal purple site they listed the same ISO 100 oil as
252C @ 485 degree Fahrenheit? Now they also have a ISO 150 oil that is 260C @ 500 degree F. I plan to call them
tomorrow & see what’s up. I,m running RP now and plan on using up what I have now. I,m thinking changing to Amzoil.
They have always had great oils. There compressor oil is rated at 508 F flash point & that should be safe. It sells
about $20 qt .

Fly

?

Last edited:
Reactions: 357cal
There is more than one RP compressor oil listed, there are 4 different oils. The two for our compressors must
be ISO 100 rated. The RP listed on Amazon flash point is 495F 257 C. Global has another muti- Vis with a 505F @
263C flash point. I know this is very confusing but my understanding is the one with the 460 F 238 C flash point
is not multi-VIS. I will let you know what ever more I can find out. That’s why I plan to switch to Amsoil. I checked my
RP & it is muti-Vic & it has been just fine. Oh well we did find some things out but I m still calling RP & maybe get
them to respond here. I would think they need to make sure the ones using there product has the right one.

Fly✌️

I mentioned this in a previous thread on oils. For what it's worth, I repeat..While flash point is important, a more important characteristic is the published viscosity index number for the fluid. While an arbitrary unitless number, most fluid manufacturers submit their product to independent labs for testing. This number is key to longevity and therefore the lubricity across a wide range of temperatures. I personally recommend Seco lube 500.

Well I agree with you. But the biggest put down for RP was it would detonate causing a piston
failure. I questioned that some what. I bought it because so many recommended it. RP make a
very good automotive oil but these compressors are a different cat as we all know. I only care
about my compressor being reliable. I ran my ole Velvor on husky compressor oil for two years
with not a problem till the high pressure rings needed replacing and I could not find any replacements.
So I bought my Tuxin. But I only fill my rifles with them and watch the temps. I,m sure Seco 500 is
a great oil, but the price is way to high for me. Everyone has there reasons but Amsoil has been
on top of any review on oils for years. There flash point is over 500 F and being a dieaster based
oil stock I can not cast a blind eye to that. So to each there own.

Fly

Well for some reason this morning I looked up Seco lube 500. I see it is also a diester based oil. On top of that
that it is only $20 a qt also. For some reason I thought it was much higher cost. Amsoil is the only disaster based
oil I have ever see till now after seeing Seco is also. I have seen other ester based oils but not another diester oil.

That’s great to know. I can see why people are high on it now for sure. I do not know how many know this
But the US jet aircraft engines use diester oil to lubricate the turbines in those engines.

Fly

Bluegrass that is another fine oil I looked up. I think any oil is going to get by the rings with time. The whole question
was will it detonate? Your RP did not, but who knows, others say there’s did. I considered using Mobil 827 also for it,s
flash point is over 500F. I,m going to use up my RP & will most likely go with Seco 500 being it not any more cost than
Amsoil & I think not much difference between the two. Seco is made by Sunoco & has been making racing lubricants
for years as have Amsoil.

Fly

Last edited:
I've been using the air venturi compressor oil since the start. I'm about 4 yrs in with a yong heng. I fill a 6.9l bottle. I dont change oil like I'm supposed to but I havent had any issues with the compressor either. I dont know what the air venturi oil is but figured if that's what they recommend for a compressor they warranty it should work well.

I recently opened up my YH due to it not generating pressure (I think the “shim” needs to be replaced along with an o ring or two) and noticed the small piston was covered with a dark thickened oil. I bought the RP oil when I first got it so that’s what it was running with. I assume that darkened residue was due to detonation but I don’t know.