Compressor Oil 500 vs 800

I bought a compressor to fill my air rifles direct and it was perfect for my needs. Only thing it quit after 6 fills and no replaceable parts. Color was orange and air cooled. What a bummer!

So I bought a YH and just received it. Haven't opened the box yet.

I have 2 SECO oils to choose from: Seco Lube 800 TROPICS, CL-581715-LQ and Seco Lube 500 SYNTHETIC, CL-581815-LQ.

I know their are a lot of choices suggested/recommended by member way more experienced than me so I'm asking if it is ok to use the 800 oil.

I live in Florida and I have to use it outside in a covered patio. My requirements are not very high as I only need to fill my air rifles directly. I also have a small bottle 88 ci bottle.

Anyone use the 800 over the 500?

Just trying to start using the YH the best I can.

Thanks

Airslave,

I'll let the Seco Lube users address the oil issue, I use the Husky Full Synthetic Air Compressor oil, but the Seco is more appropriate. Here is my non-air conditioned, Tampa, Florida garage air fill station. These are the filters I use to address our high humidity. The copper colored one is a $125 water separator (no insert) and the gold one uses a multi-media, plastic canister, oil/water filter. The black and blue filters use cotton inserts. I regularly inspect the black filter insert for moisture, so far, so good. Used a hand pump to fill my first PCP adding unwanted moisture to the system, lesson learned. Best of Luck, WM
IMG_20220226_110144.1645891572.jpg

Airslave,

You're welcome, glad to help anyway I can. Notice the stick-on vibration hour meter on compressor side, automatic, no wire needed, three-year battery, $20 something on eBay, wise investment. Have to admit, my set-up location is not ideal, inside air-conditioned space is better, but this was the best deal I could get. That blue box, tied to the back of compressor, is a fan. (Had to tie since vibrated away when YH is operating.) Biohazardman, our resident Yong Heng expert, was right on with that advice, trust him, that's for sure. WM

Not an oil expert by any means. I use the 500 oil in my YH.

From what I read here and there the 800 is like the heavy duty version of the 500. Made for higher temps and a worse environment for the most part. 

Hard to go wrong with the upgrade it would seem to me.

I ran the ISO 46 for over a year and the Husky synthetic for two and they werqed fine for me.

But they were not made for diving, high compression, compressors so with this new information I got from the AGN I switched to the Seco Lube 500.

Only been couple of months, since the switch, so I really can't give any long term results but since it is made for these I would guess that it would be good.

I have some good YH info for you here;

It's everything I have learned in my three years with the Yong Hengs.

Yong Heng post link

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/a-dedicated-yong-heng-subforum/#post-1127767

Utilize the Seco 500 the 800 tropics is designed for use in areas were it is very hot and dry. I tested the 800 in the YH and several others if you live in a area with a lot of humidty do not use the 800. I found that it has a tendenciy to foam more in High humidity areas and will break down quickly. THe seco 500 is a very good all around compressor oil that is designed to handle 4500psi compressors and does not break down in high humid locations. Just what we found during our tests.

Thanks. 800 on the way. I'll change over to the 500 when the 800 is done. Might end up throwing some in the lawnmower.

I'll keep an eye on on the foaming and change it regularly . I only use the compressor to direct fill the air rifle tanks so I'm not really stressing anything. I have a small bottle for the .177 but it's not really made for the .25.

Some years Florida can be extra really humid but normal years it's just really humid. 

Thanks

Thanks. 800 on the way. I'll change over to the 500 when the 800 is done. Might end up throwing some in the lawnmower.

Just don't use it in an engine with a filter. Engines with a pump and filter use high detergent oil to keep contaminates suspended in the oil so a filter can remove them.

Engines with no pump and filter use non-detergent oil so that all contaminates settle to the bottom of the sump where they stay for the life of the engine.

Pay attention to viscosity because it must match bearing clearances for the proper amount of oil to reach it's intended destination.

Reactions: SoulSniper
Thanks. Never thought of the different lubrication systems on small engines and compressors. Guess I need to pay more attention.

The Seco company seems like they know their stuff. "Tropical 800" is probably not all that different from 500 so I have to find out. They are very quick to ship and order information. Not like ordering from China where it just shows up. 

Thanks again.

Does Seco Lube 500 stay the original clear/yellowish color after the compressor has been run?

What I mean is that some synthetic oils I've used in the past go from being clear initially to turning black or some other color within only minutes of being circulated in the engine or compressor or other contraption. Synthetic oils that change color like that make it impossible to tell how dirty or clean the oil is by just looking at it through the glass window or on a dip stick. I want to order Seco Lube 500 for my Yong Heng, but I hope it doesn't do the "color change" thing that I described.

grungy