• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Compressor have oil smell.

Anyone who used a compressor, do you get oil smell in the air? I don't mean in the air tanks, I mean actual air in the room. I used a Yong Heng and hatsan lighting compressor in the living room. And the whole room would smell like oil. I have to open all windows and it takes hours, even a day just to get the smell to go away. Is the smell base on type of oil used. Can I reduced the smell by using better oil? I don't like putting and using the compressor outside, that's why I use it indoor.

What type of oil are you using? I’ve heard stories of compressors having oil on the outside of them, that was mostly drained, but still remnants, and during shipping the compressors get turned sideways, upside down, etc.. maybe it’s oil that’s been accidentally lathered on the hot parts?

For my Yong Heng I was using sinooec brand hydraulic oil #46. And for hatsan lighting I use mag1 air compressor iso 100. Within like 10-20 mins the whole living room be smelling like oil. Even after compressor is turn off. Walk into the room and you can smell oil for hours. Just wanna know if all compressor oil does it or can be reduced by using good brand oil. Haven't tried the Royal purple 100, but i ordered it and might give that a try. I'm not sure if breathing oil smell is good or bad. I just don't wanna leave the compressor outside, especially the hatsan. Since it cost a lot, don't want any parts to get rusted and exposed to the cold weather.

Shinyknight,

You're using a compressor - which is heating up to relatively high temps - which is also heating oil, 
so, you'll tend to notice an oil / petrol-like smell.. Add in a bit of Chinesium machine/tool smell, and yeah - Pew..

I use Royal Purple fully synthetic compressor lubrication in mine, so, I doubt that I'm noticing as much of a scent as you are.. 
Taking that long to vent the chem-smell does sound a bit excessive to me though.. Are you just running regular motor oil?

Even the 'so-called recommended' #46 hydraulic oil Is Not really recommended.. I'm thinking that's probably part of your problem..
The Royal Purple and even Amsoil brand compressor lubes works the absolute best, and you won't be overwhelmed with any weird smells.. 

I've used my comp to fill an 88 cf carbon fiber SCBA tank from zero psi to about 4,700 psi, and still use it to top that same tank off 
I only smell the hot smell / chem smell until' everything cools down, and then everything is back to normal.. 

I have lived in 2 different apartments, and I've used my Yong Heng in both of them.. 
Apt 1 had a room no bigger than a 12' x 12' and I ran the comp in there.
Apt 2 - where I'm at now, the room is close to the same if not smaller..

Run for no longer than 10-15 minutes at a time, and keep the compressor as cool as possible..

And before I forget link to RP from Napa: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/RNJ01513 

🙂👍 

Sam -

I am using regular aw46 from pep boys it's like $10.00 a gallon and I only get a strong smell when I purge it every five minutes before I purge there is no oder. Could your breather cap be loose or maybe a little to much oil? I did get a bit more oder the first one or two times I used it, If yours is brand new that smell should go away.

Good luck I hope you get it figured out!

Jim

SK, My AV also put out a lot of odor and you could actually see the smoke/vapor in my shop. I think this along with the oil blow-by was a symptom of the high pressure piston ring failure. Do you get any blow-by of blackish oil that collects in your filter and is blown out when it vents? Just curios, might be something to watch out for. Every since I got my straightened out and switched to RP I have really noticed the smell and the visual tint of smoke in the air. I think in my case it had more to do with the ring failures. Here is what the rings look like and the how mine was broke.

1551654736_14862452135c7c5f50de1566.22461423_IMG_2579.jpg

Wow, those piston-rings have seen better days.. 😜 

Great visual example of what to look for, and it's cool that you brought that possibility up also..

Yeah, there should be no excessive 'burning oil smell', and shouldn't be any sort of smoke or vapor.. 
That would be an immediate indication that oil is escaping from the crank case,
and pressure is blowing it by the rings and up into the top / high compression head..

Most times, this happens, and people notice output pressure loss.. 
Other times, the oil will burn and cause fumes/smoke/etc.. Never a good thing.. 

Luckily, there are replacement maintenance / replacement parts readily available. 

👍 

Sam -

I had a Lightning compressor that had such severe overheating issues I had Hatsan refund me when they issued a return for it. In spite of overheating, it didn't cause odors in the house where I ran it. I used the Royal Purple Synthetic compressor oil.

Weird thing though was the compressed air the compressor put in my SCBAs smelled really, really bad. Smelled like it was 'burned" if that even possible.

But no odors other than smell of all that metal getting hot. When compressor cooled down, any odor had long since dissipated.

My compressor is about 8 months old. Never had any oil smells coming from compressor while filling tanks. I have always used the recommended expensive breathing air compressor oils in the case. I’m thinking if you have any kind of oil smell coming from your compressor you are probably having detonation issues. Anyone out there using the proper oils and still noticing oil smell coming from compressor I’d like to know. Maybe I’m wrong on this but let’s hear from others.