• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Compressor for filling large tanks?

Other than Yong Heng (I’ve been through 4 of them) what compressor is reasonably priced with capability of filling large tanks ( 97 cubic feet ) in a reasonable amount of time? My current compressor pictured isn’t made for this duty…
image.1635092502.jpg

And how many of those would work reliably for say 100 hours? And then 200 hours.

At some 200 work hours a true diving compressor would need it's first overhaul.

Dont look at what seems the cheapest way out of filling your rifle. Cheap will fail fast and in the long run cost you more.

In 5-7 years what is the resell price of several crashed YH compressors compared to an entry diving compressor?

In that period calculate in the fills you sell to other airgun shooters in your area!

That or consider shop fills!

I have filled my 97 cu ft tank from empty a couple of times and my 90 cu in several times with my Yong Heng. But the majority of the time I only top them off from 2000 or 3000 to 4200psi. These small compressors were never designed to fill the large tanks at all so when I do fill them I go in 10 or 15 minute cycles with 20-30 minute cool down periods in between. Very seldom do I take them over 60C degrees.

Also the Yong Heng simple version is not made to last as it has no water separator on board.

If you want a compressor to regularly fill the large tanks from empty or to run longer than 10 or 15 minutes you need an Alkin or Bauer or possibly and Alpha Carrette as mentioned above. There is another but I always forget it's name.

You can't go cheap and expect them to last with this kind of a workload.

I have filled my 97 cu ft tank from empty a couple of times and my 90 cu in several times with my Yong Heng. But the majority of the time I only top them off from 2000 or 3000 to 4200psi. These small compressors were never designed to fill the large tanks at all so when I do fill them I go in 10 or 15 minute cycles with 20-30 minute cool down periods in between. Very seldom do I take them over 60C degrees.

If you want a compressor to regularly fill the large tanks from empty or to run longer than 10 or 15 minutes you need an Alkin or Bauer or possibly and alpha Carrette as mentioned above. There is another but I always forget it's name.

You can't go cheap and expect them to last with this kind of a workload.

+1! 

I have filled my SCBA tank many many times from ~3300 PSI to 4200 PSI in 10 minute filling session with my YH. I filled my SCBA tank from empty only once and that only took 2 sessions of 10 minutes if I remember correctly. YH is awesome for personal fills/topping off SCBA tanks but certainly isn't rated for continuous operations unless someone figures better thermal management but even then I wouldn't do it. 

I guess reasonable is different to everyone…do I need a 4000 compressor or is there a unit that’s 1000-2500 dollars that should last several years. I shoot alot! Also has sounds more appealing than electric as I can take it with me without a generator if needed. Electric would be fine too as I have the pictures mobile unit for road trips 

I guess reasonable is different to everyone…do I need a 4000 compressor or is there a unit that’s 1000-2500 dollars that should last several years. I shoot alot! Also has sounds more appealing than electric as I can take it with me without a generator if needed. Electric would be fine too as I have the pictures mobile unit for road trips

It's just my opinion that gas power anything is complete PIA due to all the maintenance and the need to get gas and oil, not to mention the bulk and the smell. Electric is the way to go and if you shoot a lot get 2 or more bottles. On a 45 minute bottle I get quite a few fills with my crown and impact, I have a 60 minute on the way which will more than double my shot count. With my speed of shooting these 2 bottles will last me all day if not multiple days. Unless you are off grid camping there is always electricity. 

Contrary to some, I view gas power for a compressor as an advantage, and that's why I bought a gas powered Coltri MCH6. I didn't have 220 in my shop already so adding it would have been one consideration. Plus the compressor could only be used at that (or another available) 220 outlet. With gas power, I can use it ANYWHERE. As to "maintenance" being an issue, pouring in a little oil and gas doesn't seem like a major problem to me. Very little difference in the size and weight from gas to electric. Starts on one pull, runs if power is out or at remote locations. Advantages do outweigh disadvantages to me for gas power. Others will certainly prefer electric.

I am really wondering if the people who complain about or have replaced their Yong Heng multiple times were experiencing their issues due to operator error? Go through 4 of them?!?! while thousands of people run the same compressor for 2, 3, or more years no issues?

Thousands of people for 2, 3, or more years is a huge exaggeration. There are more people on this forum who have gone through more than one than have posted about getting several years of service with no problems. I can only think of two members of this forum who have claimed multiple years of service.. One of them has purchased two of them, and the other just had his die. If there were thousands of long term users, we would certainly have heard more guys singing their praises..