Compressor conections question

Ratzilla,

Here's my fill station, ready to go, not a trace of thread tape or thread compound in use. WM
IMG_20220322_203924.1648434759.jpg

New to PCP Airguns.

Is Teflon tape or thread compound used when making high pressure compressor line connections??? Like when putting a inline water separater in.

thanks

Stop! Don’t proceed any further. Buy already assembled high-pressure lines when dealing with HPA compressors. I do not believe that teflon tape is rated for HPA applications. That stuff is primarily used for plumbing. Some is used for natural gas and I highly doubt that natural gas is pressurized nearly to the point(s) that are commonly used to shoot PCP guns. Check out information in this thread https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/air-tank-hoses-and-valves/

Ratzilla,

Yes, you are correct, I didn't use any thread tape or sealer in my setup. The copper-colored coalescing filter had fittings pre-installed, as did all the filters. I just attached the high pressure hoses, either direct thread onto the fittings or through quick-disconnect 8mm fittings, whichever happened to be required. System works perfectly, WM 

New to PCP Airguns.

Is Teflon tape or thread compound used when making high pressure compressor line connections??? Like when putting a inline water separater in.

thanks

Stop! Don’t proceed any further. Buy already assembled high-pressure lines when dealing with HPA compressors. I do not believe that teflon tape is rated for HPA applications. That stuff is primarily used for plumbing. Some is used for natural gas and I highly doubt that natural gas is pressurized nearly to the point(s) that are commonly used to shoot PCP guns. Check out information in this thread https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/air-tank-hoses-and-valves/

Wow wow clam down lol. You make it seem as hpa is a bomb. While hpa is dangerous. But It is not a bomb. The worst cause is a small leak and doesn't hold air. Its people like you that scared new folks into pcp thinking these are bombs waiting to go off. Then tell me why do we out these 4500psi bomb next to our face when we shoot? Nothing wrong with using Teflon tape or compound. The thread are what keeps the fittings together. Not the Teflon. 

Those joints require squashable nylon washers. Extras should be provided with the filters and hoses. Teflon tape is not a sealant, it's a lubricant and it is supposed to be only used on tapered threads such as NPT. The threads on these Chinese filters are metric parallel and require special washers depending on the mating surface being internal or external. External Dowty type washers are required when the threaded male side is not long enough or the female side does not have a flat seating surface in the bottom of the socket.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
New to PCP Airguns.

thanks

Wow wow clam down lol. You make it seem as hpa is a bomb. While hpa is dangerous. But It is not a bomb. The worst cause is a small leak and doesn't hold air. Its people like you that scared new folks into pcp thinking these are bombs waiting to go off. Then tell me why do we out these 4500psi bomb next to our face when we shoot? Nothing wrong with using Teflon tape or compound. The thread are what keeps the fittings together. Not the Teflon.

@2fast2furious I heed the advice of folks that work with HPA, PCPs, and hydraulics. I advise others to do the same. Until a photo was posted I was not clear on exactly what he was referring to regarding a “high pressure compressor line.” People like me are concerned about members who aren’t sure about what to do when dealing with high pressure air. I will remain “clam” as I continue to read comments like one you posted attempting to put words in my mouth. Of all that I typed it’s strange that what you took away was that I “make HPA sound like a bomb waiting to go off.” I stated what I believe and understand, provided a reference link, and asked a member with more knowledge of what’s going on here to chime in. Please tell us oh prescient telepath, where I stated anything about bombs. I’ll wait.

The secret to know when to use teflon tape is by identifyng the type of threads you are sealing. Eaglebeak is on target with his advise. There are three commonly used thread types in high pressure compressors and tank fittings used in this sport. NPT, BSP, and Metric. Most Chinese hoses, fittings, and compressors have M10 threads which are parallel threads which have no taper. BSP hoses and fittings are also parallel threaded. Parallel threaded fittings don't use teflon tape to seal. They use delrin disks in the base of the fitting, or they use dowty seals, or they use o-rings. A dowty seal is a rubber o-ring encased in a brass outer ring. NPT fittings are tapered. You can see the taper if you examine any NPT thread male fitting. They require teflon tape to give a leak proof seal. This may all seem complicated, but it's not. No guessing is needed.

It is not dangerous to use white teflon tape to seal NPT fittings. Leaks occur using white teflon tape when an NPT fitting is not tightened enough or when mismatched fittings are used. A user needs to understand what he or she is sealing. Tape is not a cure-all for trying to seal mis-matched fittings. Threading an NPT fitting into a BSP fitting will not work and is asking for leaks or worse. If white teflon tape was dangerous or unsafe, then there are a lot of high profile vendors who would be out of business. Teflon tape just needs to be used where it is appropriate. If you see white teflon tape on an existing tank, hose, or compressor, it is an indication that it is sealing an NPT junction. 

Read the owner's manual or go online to find what type of fittings you have and understand the difference between NPT, BSP, and Metric fittings. It requires a willingness to learn what you have and what seal is appropriate. Use tape on tapered fittings (NPT), Use o-rings, delrin discs, or dowty seals on Metric and BSP fittings. Don't mix and match fittings. NPT, BSP, and metric don't seal reliably if mixed together at a joint. It's like trying a square peg in a round hole.

Thank you Eaglebeak & Humdinger for debunking the dis-info regarding sealing parallel and tapered threads.

FWIW

I use the grey Teflon tape.on tapered threads

It is lubricated & a little thicker.

Some members use the yellow tape specified for natural gas fittings

Did you know that frequent use of the improper sealing method on HPA fittings can cause premature blindness is young males, and overtly lustful feelings in young girls?

Thank you Eaglebeak & Humdinger for debunking the dis-info regarding sealing parallel and tapered threads.

FWIW

I use the grey Teflon tape.on tapered threads

It is lubricated & a little thicker.

Some members use the yellow tape specified for natural gas fittings

I’m glad that the OP has received good information. @Humdinger I’m familiar with regarding his knowledge and experience with compressors. I’ve never interacted with @Eaglebeak, but he provided sound advice. Some of @2fast2furious’s advice seemed accurate, but I took issue with the last part of his first post. I saw it as a cause for concern without knowing exactly what the OP was referring to and spoke up out of concern for safety. I’m no expert and as I stated, I heed the advice of those who work with HPA and high pressure applications. I humbly defer to them.

What I did not intend to do is to spread dis-information. @SilentSquirrel I am unsure about exactly what you’re referring to as “dis-information.” If something I stated fits the bill please point it out so that I can edit my post. I don’t take issue with being wrong or mistaken. 

Ratzilla,

You're welcome, for sure. Many good people here willing to help. If you don't mind, was your question related to correct installation of fittings or air lines? I was never quite sure as your orange circles seemed to indicate fitting installation rather than air lines. I'm curious since all filters I've purchased arrived with pre-installed fittings. Thanks, WM

Ratzilla,

You're welcome, for sure. Many good people here willing to help. If you don't mind, was your question related to correct installation of fittings or air lines? I was never quite sure as your orange circles seemed to indicate fitting installation rather than air lines. I'm curious since all filters I've purchased arrived with pre-installed fittings. Thanks, WM

I wanted to add a larger water/oil separator and I did not look close enough a the plastic bag that held the extra filter material because lo and behold, there was the correct rings/washers that I needed to install the brass fittings on the separator.

I am still glad I asked as I learned a lot. Thanks again!